• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I also am pretty sure 16 hadn't aired in the US before last week, as I had not seen it. The last episode that aired was the one where CC was the end of the assault on the cult.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yes, that's definitely 16, and no, it didn't air before this previous Saturday, May 2. Episode 15, which also aired on Saturday, was the last episode to air before the second season went into reruns. Trust me on this one...I'm rather obsessive-compulsive when it comes to MyAnimeList. Razz

My DVR is set to series record new episodes of Code Geass, and the last episode it has recorded before the series went into reruns is episode 15, the one where spoiler[CC loses her memory]. I also very distinctly remember being annoyed that they went into reruns off of a cliffhanger like that. Thus I'm 100% certain that Top Gun is right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I guess I watched it online or something. This an odd occurrence (I never bothered with watching Code Geass online before), sorry for the trouble. And thanks for sorting this out for me, I'm very thrown off now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Plot picking up big time now, and with good reason since we've only got 5 episodes left. But jesus, has someone Geassed EVERYONE in this show to have a death wish? C2, Suzaku, Rolo, Lelouche, Nina- I haven't seen this many suicidal whiners since My Chemical Romance went out of style! It really says something when the self-identified sociopath is more likeable than the rest of the cast.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Plot picking up big time now, and with good reason since we've only got 5 episodes left. But jesus, has someone Geassed EVERYONE in this show to have a death wish? C2, Suzaku, Rolo, Lelouche, Nina- I haven't seen this many suicidal whiners since My Chemical Romance went out of style! It really says something when the self-identified sociopath is more likeable than the rest of the cast.

Another question would be whether that's a bad thing in and of itself, when there are fair reasons for it in most of the mentioned cases, even if some are opposed to it on principle alone or just don't like it...so I think this says more about the audience's constant need for self-indulgence than anything else, at least so far, all of which lies the eye of the beholder.

Not questioning that Lloyd is indeed awesome, mind you, that much is quite clear.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Lloyd and Rakshata FTW!!! They're basically the best characters on the show. If only they could get together... Razz
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the primary cast really is a bunch of whiney #####es. I can see them being sad, even depressed, but they are far too suicidal. It is funny how Lelouches' geasses tend to backfire on him so often, most of his downfalls have been due to unantincipated backfires from their effects.

I'm just guessng here, but is the Knight of One armed with a Pride rip-off Geass?
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:08 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
There's no way to make this not absurd, I tell you!

Remember, this IS the second season of Code Geass. By this point the show practically lives off absurdities. While you do have a good point, I think it is a pretty minor plot hole in the grand scheme of things.

Now, if you really want to point out plot holes, just wait two episodes. That's when it really hits the fan, and it doesn't stop hitting till the second-to-last episode. I'm sure you'll have a field day; I know I did.

Can you at least try not to ruin the show for the newer viewers this time around though? You're already venturing dangerously close to spoiling how future episodes will go, but then again judging by how much you have it in for this show maybe that's your goal.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
You're the Klingon.

Which makes me a unicorn, but I think I can live with that.

If you really had a problem with it, why didn't you respond, oh, two weeks ago?

Finally, our definitions of "dangerously close" seem to diverge quite significantly. After all, this IS Code Geass we're talking about. Things tend to hit the fan every five episodes or so. I gave no hint as to what would actually happen, only that something would. Which as I've mentioned before is not exactly a secret, just as saying Excel dies (multiple times) every episode is not a secret. Just stating the facts.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You're the Klingon.

Who knows, maybe I'm just yanking your chain because it's fun and you always respond with crazy stuff like the video above?

Finally, our definitions of "dangerously close" seem to diverge quite significantly. After all, this IS Code Geass we're talking about. Things tend to hit the fan every five episodes or so. I gave no hint as to what would actually happen, only that something would. Which as I've mentioned before is not exactly a secret, just as saying Excel dies (multiple times) every episode is not a secret. Just stating the facts.

Okay this much is true. And really history is probably going to repeat itself with regard to the whole polarization factor of R2 anyway so it probably doesn't matter what either of us do or say at this point.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
You're the Klingon.

Who knows? Maybe I'm just yanking your chain because it's fun and you always respond with crazy stuff like the video above or "B!". Laughing

Quote:

Okay this much is true. And really history is probably going to repeat itself with regard to the whole polarization factor of R2 anyway so it probably doesn't matter what either of us do or say at this point.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Tue May 19, 2009 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Yeah, the primary cast really is a bunch of whiney #####es. I can see them being sad, even depressed, but they are far too suicidal. It is funny how Lelouches' geasses tend to backfire on him so often, most of his downfalls have been due to unantincipated backfires from their effects.

Lelouch is the unluckiest guy in the world as far as this crazy fictional universe is concerned, no question about it. Laughing

Since I feel like addressing the other point a bit further, let's see how they all stand as of episode 20:

C.C. had a pretty fair reason to be suicidal considering what she's been through. Not an original one, since immortals across fiction tend to share it, but it is appropriate all the same. Still, the one time she had an opportunity to end it all, C.C. finally seemed to listen to Lelouch and rejected that chance at the last minute.

Suzaku originally wanted to put himself in danger while in the line of duty as punishment for killing his own father. However, this isn't even something he can actively decide anymore, ever since Geass has been used on him. In fact, the rest of his outlook seems a little different right now, after recent events, by Suzaku's own admission.

Lelouch has lost everything or nearly so, as far as he is concerned, and was essentially traumatized as part of the immediate aftermath of certain events...so his first reaction isn't that surprising, or is it? Still, after getting over the worst of it, Lelouch does at least want to live long enough to accomplish something in the process, if nothing else, also by his own admission.

Rolo didn't seem to value or even understand human life at all, not even his own, from the beginning. Lelouch was able to manipulate him and take advantage of his lack of experience but, whatever else one might say about the guy, at least Rolo did eventually show some useful initiative and sense of purpose.

Nina was actually more suicidal at the end of last season, right now she is just terribly depressed at what she's done. Granted, it's not like the ultimate effects of her vendetta couldn't be seen coming from a mile away, but in spite of all her genius, Nina wasn't exactly completely stable in the first place.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!

No matter how preposterous, I simply love all the twists and turns this show takes. I'm having lots of fun with this. Very Happy
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
Interesting turn with Lelouch becoming emperor, but if it had happened a few episodes earlier (and with less episodes left until the end) it would have felt less out of the blue.
I'm gonna have to rewatch episode 21, all the revelations about their plans and stuff was a bit much, and I don't think I took it all in. I wasn't quite sure what role C2 played in all of it, etc.

Also...there's something I don't like which happened a few episodes ago, and happened today in a big way. Lelouch using his Geass to just say "do whatever I command you to". It completely removes what was interesting about his power, and makes every prior usage of his power seem dumb, when he could've just made people his slaves. Before he had to actually put thought into what he would say because it would only work once and it would only be one command. Now it's like he can use it an infinite number of times. It's like a genie granting you only one wish, and you wish for infinite wishes.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Another wonderful chain of events resulting in some powerful moments. I swear, it's like the LOST of anime. At this point I just cant imagine how they'll conclude it all, but I know I can't wait for it. They could have eased into the whole "Lelouch is now emperor" thing a little slower though. But other than that I'm still liking the series. At this point the Dark Knights seem really pointless. It seems like they're just kind of getting pushed to the side as nothing more than a relic of the series. But I imagine they'll be worked in again by the end of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 60