• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
Let's just say that people can always go back and re-watch episode 18 now, if they want to notice certain things which were apparently deliberately done in order to allow something to happen. Not perfectly so, much less what I'd consider to be realistic, but there it is.

bahamut623 wrote:
Interesting turn with Lelouch becoming emperor, but if it had happened a few episodes earlier (and with less episodes left until the end) it would have felt less out of the blue.

I'd say this is something that almost everyone can agree with at this point. I still feel like both of tonight's episodes could have been split into two more and that would have made the transition a little more...reasonable, if that applies to this show at least within its own context.

Quote:

Also...there's something I don't like which happened a few episodes ago, and happened today in a big way. Lelouch using his Geass to just say "do whatever I command you to". It completely removes what was interesting about his power, and makes every prior usage of his power seem dumb, when he could've just made people his slaves.

I think that was indeed far more interesting precisely because it was a sign of Lelouch showing some restraint and not wanting to enslave people to his will. He could have done that, but didn't. Right now, however, he is not trying to limit himself. In fact, he's actually doing the complete opposite.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

I think that was indeed far more interesting precisely because it was a sign of Lelouch showing some restraint and not wanting to enslave people to his will. He could have done that, but didn't. Right now, however, he is not trying to limit himself. In fact, he's actually doing the complete opposite.

That's true. In a way, I guess it shows how his personality has changed since back then. Now he doesn't really seem to care about anyone and is far more ruthless.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Also...there's something I don't like which happened a few episodes ago, and happened today in a big way. Lelouch using his Geass to just say "do whatever I command you to". It completely removes what was interesting about his power, and makes every prior usage of his power seem dumb, when he could've just made people his slaves.

I think that was indeed far more interesting precisely because it was a sign of Lelouch showing some restraint and not wanting to enslave people to his will. He could have done that, but didn't. Right now, however, he is not trying to limit himself. In fact, he's actually doing the complete opposite.[/quote]

Indeed. In fact, the opening shots of episode 22, where the aristocracy has been geassed into serving as Lelouche's servants, was actually kind of creepy. But it fits in fine with the idea that Geass slowly eats away at the user's sanity. Lelouche's Geass has spread to his other eye now. Who else has wound up like that? Mao, who was beyond crazy. Charles, who was on another planet mentally. C2 in the past- a milder case, but she had still become a self-absorbed, spoiled brat before transitioning to immortal stage and regaining her senses. Another factor- keep in mind that up until this point, Lelouche had to work subtly. Avoid detection, avoid drawing attention to his manipulations. Now- he's the frickin' emporer, who needs subtlety?

On another note- okay, I never liked the idea of the Knights of the Round that much. They seemed like yet another derailing from what made R1 awesome. But boy did they get screwed by the script anyway. Only Gino, Anya, and Suzaku wound up being important. Gino is borderline, too. He had a presence and personality earlier in the series, plus some decent action scenes, but he has yet to do anything that has had any kind of effect on the plot. Now with 3 eps to go the script doesn't seem to know what to do with him. Of the others, Luciano only existed to show the empire able to kick puppies and to reestablish how badass Kallen is. Bismark was introduced in some war room scenes, formally took the field I think four episodes ago, and then was killed in a brief fight scene to show off the new Lancelot- despite having a Geass and supposedly being Britannia's best warrior. Three other knights were dispatched in that same battle with barely a few lines. That leaves four which we've never even seen, and probably never will. Maybe the Emperor was right to not be concerned with "mundane matters"- his best soldiers die like dogs when facing anybody with the writers in their corner.

BTW, did anyone think that the whole of episode 21 was a massive bitch-slap to Evangelion? The Emporer's plan is spoiler[pretty much the same thing that Third Impact turned out being], and most of the episode is taken up with Lelouche arguing against it.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
As R2 heads into the home stretch, the brakes on the train have officially failed. I'm now officially waiting for the train to derail once it reaches the station. Much like humanity rubbernecks with real-life accidents, I can't help but watch this one. As I've said before, it is entertaining, but the content is about as wholesome as high fructose corn syrup.

My nit picks of the two episodes: sure, Lelouch locked him and Charles up in the other world, but the others, with the assistance of C.C., spoiler[managed to get in. Since Charles has a Code as well, doesn't that he could've managed to get out as well? Or is there some sort of one-way door thing going on?]

The bigger nit pick: Lelouch seriously Geassed spoiler[the collective unconsciousness of humanity to get rid of Charles and Marianne?] Whenever I think of deus ex machina, I'll remember this scene.

BellosTheMighty wrote:
In fact, the opening shots of episode 22, where the aristocracy has been geassed into serving as Lelouche's servants, was actually kind of creepy.

As a whole, I'll admit that I felt the aristocracy got what they deserved. However, I feel for Odysseus. Here's the one guy that probably should be emperor, and he got the shaft - again.

Quote:
Bismark was introduced in some war room scenes, formally took the field I think four episodes ago, and then was killed in a brief fight scene to show off the new Lancelot- despite having a Geass and supposedly being Britannia's best warrior.

I've been waiting for Sunrise to pull out the whole spoiler[seeing the future] Geass power. Still a cliche move, and I'm glad it didn't last long.

As an aside, it was interesting to see how Suzaku is now utilizing his Geass-induced "live" command to further his offensive abilities. Before he usually ran for it when the command took over; guess it's now fight instead of flight.

Quote:
BTW, did anyone think that the whole of episode 21 was a massive bitch-slap to Evangelion? The Emporer's plan is spoiler[pretty much the same thing that Third Impact turned out being], and most of the episode is taken up with Lelouche arguing against it.

That thought crossed my mind as well; more specifically, spoiler[Gendo's vision of Instrumentality, not SEELE's.]

I'll end on a humorous note. Did anyone catch the titles of the various books in the scene where spoiler[Charles called up his other-dimensional bookshelf? The spine of the book farthest on the right read Encyclopedia Britannia.] I got a rather hearty Laughing out of that gag.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:

I'll end on a humorous note. Did anyone catch the titles of the various books in the scene where spoiler[Charles called up his other-dimensional bookshelf? The spine of the book farthest on the right read Encyclopedia Britannia.] I got a rather hearty Laughing out of that gag.

I was more amused by the summit meeting at Ashford. All this effort put into making the scene look like a serious international conference, a collision of diplomatic forces with the fate of nations in the balance- and it's all ruined by the basketball hoop hanging out behind Lulu. Anime smile
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
As R2 heads into the home stretch, the brakes on the train have officially failed. I'm now officially waiting for the train to derail once it reaches the station.

Oh, I'd argue that the train has already been derailing for a while now, but...well, the fact remains that the train may yet reach the station, as you have put it, one way or another. Some outcomes can be better than others and I've already made my overall thoughts clear somewhere along the line.

Quote:

As I've said before, it is entertaining, but the content is about as wholesome as high fructose corn syrup.

It's no Mushi-Shi or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, by any means. Nobody would be under such an illusion. Entertainment value is the most this series has going for it, of course, yet I think it's not too difficult to notice a few rather interesting things about this story and its main character(s), which if nothing else makes it a bombastic morality play. Trying to dig into it might be considered crazy, a fact which I embrace wholeheartedly, but hey...even if Code Geass is roughly 3/4 flash and 1/4 substance, a few strange individuals happen to appreciate both.

Quote:
spoiler[ Since Charles has a Code as well, doesn't that he could've managed to get out as well? Or is there some sort of one-way door thing going on?]

It's unclear, but Lelouch isn't exactly in a position to know whether that would work or not, is he? And outside of his initial reaction, played up for dramatic effect, Charles didn't seem that concerned.

Quote:

Whenever I think of deus ex machina, I'll remember this scene.

The definition certainly fits like a glove, but when you've already created such an over-the-top situation and brought up such metaphysical concepts, inside another dimension no less...there are few ways to write yourself out of it. Did anyone expect that the Emperor's cryptic ramblings about "god" and so forth wouldn't bring his side of the plot line into this kind of territory? I sure wasn't that surprised myself. Very Happy

However...that aside, I think the whole sequence of events is a lot more about why than how Lelouch managed to overcome it.

Quote:

BellosTheMighty wrote:

I was more amused by the summit meeting at Ashford. All this effort put into making the scene look like a serious international conference, a collision of diplomatic forces with the fate of nations in the balance- and it's all ruined by the basketball hoop hanging out behind Lulu. Anime smile

Laughing People argue that this is all unintentional, but I'm positive that someone in the staff, at least, was certainly having fun with such things.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
One more thing, something I've been feeling for a while: SHUT THE F$#% UP, TAMAKI!
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
It's no Mushi-Shi or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, by any means. Nobody would be under such an illusion. Entertainment value is the most this series has going for it...

True enough, I know. Part of it's me, as well; I tend to look for logic, some semblance of order, in whatever I do, even entertainment. When I can't find it, it tends to irritate me.

On the plus side, I've no longer been able to guess what lies ahead (something I'm fairly good at); the plot twists have been that wild.

BellosTheMighty wrote:

Ah, yes, this scene. I really didn't notice it until I saw a screenshot of it in a blog entry I read afterward.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Also...there's something I don't like which happened a few episodes ago, and happened today in a big way. Lelouch using his Geass to just say "do whatever I command you to". It completely removes what was interesting about his power, and makes every prior usage of his power seem dumb, when he could've just made people his slaves. Before he had to actually put thought into what he would say because it would only work once and it would only be one command. Now it's like he can use it an infinite number of times. It's like a genie granting you only one wish, and you wish for infinite wishes.

I tend to agree, but I can accept it in this case as an escalation of his powers in the run-up to the finale. He did score the double eyes and all. I do think they should have established the contrary in the first season when he wsy just testing his powers, by having him try that on someone and it results in a much weaker hold, making the subject a bit persuadable to do simple and "in character" things, but not as compelled to do something insane as if he were very specific about it.

But yeah, it does serve to highlight that he's losing it, as does his treatment of his relevatives.
Chibi Buizel

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I was so shocked last week when spoiler[Lelouch finally became Emperor and made Suzaku his knight], but I was even more shocked when spoiler[Nunnally was revealed to be alive and declared that Lelouch and Suzaku were her enemies.]

That's one of my favorite things about this anime. They just keep coming up with brilliant cliffhangers.
freezespell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I only have one thing to say about the relationship between Lelouch and Nunnally:

spoiler[What a difference a year makes.]

We only have one hour left until the finale. That we know of, Lelouch only has one obstacle left to overcome. If spoiler[Nunnally can't stop him, then the world will be his, mang.] Twisted Evil
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
Final episode just finished airing on Adult Swim after a rerun of episode 24. Final thoughts:

While I may not have been expecting exactly that ending, I was suspecting that it would be something along these lines. Throughout the series, Lelouch was too readily taking the blame upon himself for everything, seeming to make a deliberate effort to demonize himself in the face of the world and everyone in it, even if that meant alienating those he cared about and even when he didn't deserve it. For a while I thought he was doing it out of some sense of guilt, as his arrogance and the grandeur of his behavior would certainly lend him to believe he was responsible for everything both good and bad. Over the final couple of episodes leading up to the big reveal, though, I started to think instead that he was going to spoiler[martyr himself], as nothing else really made logical sense about what Lelouch was doing.

Still, I was surprised by how Suzaku fit into things at the end, though that also made sense. spoiler[I did like seeing that Kallen seem to have figured things out at the end, and I was glad that Nunally understood what was going on before Lelouch died. Even though it ultimately was for her good, though, I thought Lelouch was a bit cowardly for not finding a way to do this without leaving Nunally behind.]

So the series may have had its ups and downs, and been overblown to nonsensical degrees at times, but it ultimately was a good ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
nightjuan wrote:
It's no Mushi-Shi or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, by any means. Nobody would be under such an illusion. Entertainment value is the most this series has going for it...

True enough, I know. Part of it's me, as well; I tend to look for logic, some semblance of order, in whatever I do, even entertainment. When I can't find it, it tends to irritate me.

Were Code Geass is involved.........irritate is the least of my emotions.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
Wow, what an ending! I'm glad they re-ran episode 24. It really helped the flow.

There may have been other untied loose ends, but the two that stuck in my mind were spoiler[I guess we don't get to hear CC's real name], unless I missed it somewhere, and spoiler[who was CC talking to throughout the series before she started talking to Lulouch in the very last scene?]

All in all, I was satisfied. The ending had a just right ratio of happy/bittersweet.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Wow, what an ending! I'm glad they re-ran episode 24. It really helped the flow.

There may have been other untied loose ends, but the two that stuck in my mind were spoiler[I guess we don't get to hear CC's real name], unless I missed it somewhere, and spoiler[who was CC talking to throughout the series before she started talking to Lulouch in the very last scene?]

C.C.'s name has never been told. It can only be speculated and there are two theories:
The first theory is that C.C.'s real name is Elizabeth.
C.C. –> Sissy –> Elizabeth.
Another theory is that C.C. is an acronym. For example, if Lelouch got Charles’s code, he would become L.L. from Lelouch Lamperouge.

C.C. was talking to Marianne.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 56 of 60