• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Ocean Waves DVD Dated for August 17 in U.K.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarmel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what features it has. Now for the US buyer, what options do we have? It seems like either the UK or Japan version in which both requires us to have a region free dvd player.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Any chance for a Region 1 release? I really like this film.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
"The 72-minute animated movie is the last"

Is it really the last...or the latest?

Anyway, I would hope for a R1 release. I like Studio Ghibli's work.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
"The 72-minute animated movie is the last"

Is it really the last...or the latest?

The last to get a DVD release in an English-speaking country, that is, this is the only remaining Ghibli film which hasn't been released that way.
skwid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
I wonder what features it has. Now for the US buyer, what options do we have? It seems like either the UK or Japan version in which both requires us to have a region free dvd player.

Features tend to be pretty light. I don't recall anything on the other Optimum Ghibli DVDs, except that trailer reel for other Ghibli films.

Have you looked into factory resetting your DVD player (or buying a cheap second one for resetting) to get rid of the region lock? Or you could change the region setting on your computer.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Though this is in the Ghibli stable, so to speak, it wasn't produced, or directed by Miyazaki, or Takahata, and so not a part of the Disney deal. It was directed by Tomomi Mochizuki. This is not the "last" film by any means. There are other short films and TV spots that have never been released outside of Japan, at least not legally. We have been blessed yet again. My brass is just waiting for it.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Though this is in the Ghibli stable, so to speak, it wasn't produced, or directed by Miyazaki, or Takahata, and so not a part of the Disney deal. It was directed by Tomomi Mochizuki.

Grave of the Fireflies was directed by Isao Takahata, but it was not part of the Disney deal either. What feature was included in the deal had less to do with who directed it, and more to do with which sponsor owned the rights.

Quote:
This is not the "last" film by any means. There are other short films and TV spots that have never been released outside of Japan.

The article wrote:
The 72-minute animated movie is the last Studio Ghibli feature to get a DVD release in an English-speaking country

The article did not say the "last film," but the "last Studio Ghibli feature."
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I knew of this news a while back. The film itself, or at least Justin's take on it, makes it sound a little unsatisfying for somebody who doesn't like arthouse alone.
Out of concern for my domestic industy, I'd request that those who want to get their hands on this title import it from us. Amazon UK would be the best option. Optimum are a reliable no-frills company, and have been very good for providing Ghibli films to our fanbase (to the extent that most people consider anime and Ghibli to be virtually synonymous over here, but that is a different story).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Though this is in the Ghibli stable, so to speak, it wasn't produced, or directed by Miyazaki, or Takahata, and so not a part of the Disney deal. It was directed by Tomomi Mochizuki.

Grave of the Fireflies was directed by Isao Takahata, but it was not part of the Disney deal either. What feature was included in the deal had less to do with who directed it, and more to do with which sponsor owned the rights.
I read somewhere that "Grave" wasn't included, because Disney felt it was too grim and showed America in a bad light.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see Conan-san bitch about this one. But the counterargument for his sake is that the EU and UK just have far too small of a fanbase compared to the USA/Canada to be able to bring as much over, not to mention each country has to individually license. You can bitch at the local companies all you want and continue to buy to support, but they can only do so much, seeing how limited their customers are.

Anyway, the movie was interesting, but a little too short, and the characters didn't feel that well explored. It might have worked better as a series of OVAs instead.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. I bought my copy from Japan some time back, but I'm glad to see it getting a wider release. While it's not a classic Ghibli movie by a long chalk, it's still eminently watchable especially if you're a fan of 'slice of life' anime.

I'd still rate 'Only Yesterday' above this, but I gather the US is deprived of that one too.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd hate to say this, but most of your current DVD Players, the current models in stores, should be able to play Region Free DVD's. I know the Phillips DVD Player, that has DIVX Ultra Playback, plays Region Free DVD's.

I only have to say this about Walt Disney:

They Suck Serious Monkey &^%$

Disney has the exclusive rights to the Miyazaki/Ghibli movie "Only Yesterday" and yet fail to release it because the movie doesn't fit Disney's image of family entertainment.

And making movies about Pirates and how they plunder and kill is fitting in with their image? Disney really does suck. If they don't want to release the movie, then give the rights back to Ghibli so someone else can license the movie or give the rights to Shout Factory and let them release the film under Disney's guidance.

Shout Factory already releases a number of DVD titles from other studios so why not this one? I know that Shout Factory has released titles from NBC/Universal, some TV on DVD titles that Universal was unable to release due to the economic downturn.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
skwid wrote:
Features tend to be pretty light. I don't recall anything on the other Optimum Ghibli DVDs, except that trailer reel for other Ghibli films

A number of them feature background art, subbed featurettes ("making of" documentaries; Japanese promo films etc.) and pictureboards (including feature-length "alternate angle" pictureboards in a few cases).
Also, a few of them have two-disc collector's editions available with additional extras.

---

Anybody know when Ponyo gets its theatrical release in the UK?
Kenotic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:

It's easy to get DVDs sent to you from Amazon.co.uk (or other UK retailers if you wish) and play it from your computer via a program like VLC. Worst case, you can rip it to the drive and then burn it to a new DVD-R.

A few google searches might help you figure out how to set a normal DVD player region-free as well.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Anybody know when Ponyo gets its theatrical release in the UK?

Last April was the alleged release date, such plans obviously resulting in nought. Optimum's website provides some more positive news: They say August for cinemas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2