• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which non-JPN artists do you think could cover....

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm the only one who has this happen to them, but there are a couple songs that I think could be done by other artists, or at least share their style. Here are a few examples:

"I am a Pioneer", "Talent for Love" (Tenchi Muyo, English versions): Phil Collins

"Itsuka Tenshi ni Nareru" (Magic Knight Rayearth): Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

If anyone would care to contribute, please do so. It would be lov-er-ly.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Ooh. Jee, I don't know.

I'm not really for dubbing anime vocal songs in the first place. As much as I like Phil Collins, I'd rather not hear him singing Boku wa Pioneer.

I don't know, I can't really think of one that might sound good. Maybe... Sugar Ray doing Diggin' from Cowboy Bebop Knockin' on Heaven's Door? Shocked Although, I think Steve Conte is already American. Laughing
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Ooh. Jee, I don't know.

I'm not really for dubbing anime vocal songs in the first place. As much as I like Phil Collins, I'd rather not hear him singing Boku wa Pioneer.

I thought I noted that I was listening to the English version.

Also, I seem to be okay at turning japanese songs into english using just the song and the "iteral" translation. Perhaps it's because I'm a musician, but I digress.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:49 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I thought I noted that I was listening to the English version.

Also, I seem to be okay at turning japanese songs into english using just the song and the "iteral" translation. Perhaps it's because I'm a musician, but I digress.

I know. I just like to call the songs by there original Japanese names. Razz If I can't remember how to say it, I'll usually say it in English.

I don't like dubbing songs because it takes away some of the foreign appeal I have for the Japanese language. But if you like some of them in English, that's fine. Wink

As for "I'm a Pioneer," I guess Mr. Collins would be an interesting choice. Surprised
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:02 am Reply with quote
I am told by most I'm completely wrong with the styles of music by my friends and stuff, but I can easily see System of a Down doing some Dir en Grey covers.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Tom Waits could do Encore un Verre, especially since that song seems to be modeled after him. And call me sick, but I think Shellac should do the Kimagure Orange Road theme song (first season).

*blast of guitar feedback*
"Take me to SUMMER SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!!!"

Last edited by jfrog on Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I could conceivably see Metallica at one of their Japanese venues doing a Gackt cover or two; some of Gackt's songs remind me way too much of Metallica ones anyway ("Lust for Blood" for example, gives me some serious "No Leaf Clover" vibes). Of course, I think it'd be much more likely that Gackt would cover Metallica, since he actually lists the band as one of his influences, if memory serves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Here's another couple which probably isn't as random as the others:

Big-O Theme: Queen (in their prime, of course.)

"Rain" (Cowboy Bebop, English version): Rod Stewart

Man, I must be like in complete vintage 70's mode or something. Anyway, thanks for posting. Keep up the good (?) work. ^__^
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
"Rain" (Cowboy Bebop, English version): Rod Stewart

Wow. Now that I think about it, that wouldn't sound half bad.

I would like to hear Coldplay do "Strangers" from Wolf's Rain. I don't know why, but that song sounds like it could fit their style. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1