• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Law of Ueki DVD Complete Series Box Set

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Less conducive to a shaggy good time is Geneon's dub. A curiosity in the prevailing professionalism of the modern dubbing world, it's an honest-to-goodness bad dub.

Well i wouldnt say that it's honest to goodness bad now.The english is honestly medicore at best,that i can admit, but it's still an ok dub.Im my view i'll probably give it a B-

Sure it's flawed to the core of course, BUT i'll take this over the garbage that was known as 4kids anyday.

I definately question the casting and most of secondary casts do ham it up too much,but it's does have some humor.

It's Not a professionally done script but decent enough for a rental at least
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen this series yet, but if the dub is bad, then it certainly wouldn't have been the only one... Which is surprising, seeing as Geneon used to put out some very professional dubs and really, dubs in general have gotten so much more polished in the last few years. But it would seem that they fell asleep at the wheel in their final days - the Shonen Onmyoji dub left much to be desired too, which was unfortunate.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
That's why I watched Shonen Onmyouji subtitled. I suppose to Japanese ears it sounded like just fine English, but to English speakers, it has a very awkward sound.
This was just strange considering it was Ocean. Yeah, they're Canadian so they always sound a bit strange to me in places, but not as bad as Odex.
Maybe it was the title in question. It is STRANGE. I swear the author got totally plastered to dream up these powers these kids possess. I was buying the individual dvds so now if I want to continue I need to buy the damned set, but it is strange so I'm not sure I want to continue. Can I remember some of them?.... The power to turn one's forhead into diamond when one's hand is in one's pocket. The power to turn cotton towels into iron, was it? Turn water into fire in one's mouth.
I can see the manga-ka having a drinking party with friends to see what insanely ridiculous powers could be dreamed up. Some of them seem more powers a 5 yr old would dream up rahter than a teen. Of course teens don't always think clearly.
Basically it seemed like it's designed to pitch the ecology lesson down kids' throats with all the usual players--Ueki is even more of a slacker back than Yoh Asakura/Shaman King. Of course he's better than everyone else because he possess an extra special something most of the other players lack, though his arch enemy Robert also has it. People Ueki fights wind up on his team.
I kept thinking of dropping it, but it was always interesting to see the strange ideas on the powers.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
well i watched shoen Onmyouji in english and it sounded preety fine to me. Also Ueki being a bigger slacker than Yoh was probably the big flaw in his character i find. Other than thati didn't find anything wrong with this series,but thanks to 4kids I was scarred at how they mulitated shaman king,so compared to that, this box set is a pure blessing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
justthisonce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
so carl likes this show and gurren lagan, good job picking a reviewer with no sense at all!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1