• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nodame Cantabile's 3rd TV Anime to Be Its Finale

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Boy, I hope they get someone different to direct the third season than who did the second. Someone who will allow the music to play for more than 30 seconds and who won't rush from plot point to plot point...

But honestly? I love the live action version even more than the anime. Smile Sure, they play around with the order of events and most of the European characters are Japanese people in bad wigs, but Ueno Juri is Nodame to me at this point.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
first anime was awesome...second was good but didn't really compare...i hope the third is as good or better than the first..especially considering it's the last...sad news too because last i checked the manga was on-going.....so unless this anime is gonna be on-going then the anime will just cut off lamely
Kiriska

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Agree that the second season was pretty lackluster compared to the first. Have high hopes for the final season -- the manga may be ongoing, but I have faith in the anime's ability to end nicely regardless. (Ouran Host Club pulled it off wonderfully, after all.)
gamersglory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
is one of my top 10 anime, but like you said the second season was ok hope they get the director from the first season nodame could go on forever if that were the case
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
But honestly? I love the live action version even more than the anime. Smile

The Tagalog dub had Michiko Azarcon doing a German accent as Elise, which was a hoot. She also played Nodame. She and Jefferson Utanes (Shinichi) have been paired up in live-action dubs since playing the leads in the Taiwanese drama It Started With A Kiss (based on the manga Itazura na Kiss).

Animax Asia is currently showing the anime dubbed, but some reason they left the subtitles on as well. Very confusing when the spoken and written dialogue differ.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
She and Jefferson Utanes (Shinichi) have been paired up in live-action dubs since playing the leads in the Taiwanese drama It Started With A Kiss (based on the manga Itazura na Kiss).

Huh. Didn't know It Started With A Kiss is popular in the Philippines as well.

fuuma_monou wrote:
Animax Asia is currently showing the anime dubbed, but some reason they left the subtitles on as well. Very confusing when the spoken and written dialogue differ.

Here Animax Taiwan broadcasts Nodame Cantabile (and other popular anime titles) with both sub and dub; dubs are for prime time, while subs are late night i.e. for anime enthusiasts only.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Ueno Juri is Nodame to me at this point.

Yeah, it's the same for me. Which is why I couldn't really get into the first season of the anime because I found Nodame's voice to be wrong. I also wasn't overly impressed by the early musical numbers, though I do hear that they got better at actually doing more than stills while they were being shown.

Oh what I wouldn't do to have the live action licensed...alas, I may have to get bootleg DVDs of it and hope the quality isn't too bad.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
She and Jefferson Utanes (Shinichi) have been paired up in live-action dubs since playing the leads in the Taiwanese drama It Started With A Kiss (based on the manga Itazura na Kiss).

Huh. Didn't know It Started With A Kiss is popular in the Philippines as well.

We also got the sequel series and Love or Bread, which is currently airing. Ariel Lin and Joe Cheng fans were following Love or Bread since pre-production on the ABS-CBN message boards.

I think Meteor Garden was the first manga-based Taiwanese drama we got on local TV. Barbie Hsu and F4 fever! Hana-Kimi first aired a few months ago on ABS-CBN, while the Japanese drama was on rival network GMA. GMA also aired the Japanese drama Hana Yori Dango, while ABS-CBN showed the anime in 2004 (now being rerun on Hero TV) and currently airs the Korean drama Boys Over Flowers.

(They also have this weird habit of doing different dubs of the same show, like Meteor Garden and a lot of anime [presumably after the license expires], sometimes at the same time. Not sure how the simultaneous licenses work out, other than separate cable and broadcast ones.)

For some reason ABS-CBN's live-action dubs still have on-screen credits for the local adaptation, which they stopped doing for their anime dubs. Makes it harder to ID the cast.
Electrastar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
What I'd like to know is when is an American company gonna bring this series over to North America? I would totally buy it if it was released on DVD here...I love Nodame Cantabile...I haven't checked out the live action adaptation (I'm not a big fan of live action) but I love the anime (although the first season is better than the second one) and I'm sure it would be a hit here.
rg4619

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Boy, I hope they get someone different to direct the third season than who did the second. Someone who will allow the music to play for more than 30 seconds and who won't rush from plot point to plot point...

I doubt it was really the director's fault. Remember that the project was coordinated with Fuji TV and Kodansha, so there were certain parameters they had to stick to, such as the running time/episode count (11 episodes, ~22 minutes each) and the stopping point in the story.

While someone else might have handled the adaptation differently (from what I understand, the live action version sacrificed one story arc to develop the rest of the content better), there's no doubt that we would've seen all kinds of cuts, regardless of the person in charge. The team's job is to try and make the best possible show under the circumstances.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it means the manga is coming to an end, too. That would explain why they postponed the third season, which was supposed to premiere this year. They might be waiting for the manga to end, like they did with Honey & Clover.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Electrastar wrote:
What I'd like to know is when is an American company gonna bring this series over to North America? I would totally buy it if it was released on DVD here...

My guess is that there may be issues getting all of the music that they use. Also, while Nodame would definitely have a niche of devoted fans, it would be a hard sell to those anime viewers who think anything without ninjas or pirates or giant robots is "boring."

Quote:
I love Nodame Cantabile...I haven't checked out the live action adaptation (I'm not a big fan of live action)

Make an exception for this series. The cast is so fantastic and the music is so good... it fiddles around with the order of events a lot more than the anime, but stays closer to the original manga than, say, the Death Note movies. It was insanely popular in Japan, and we even watched it in my 4th year Japanese class (without subtitles, I might add).
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Electrastar wrote:
What I'd like to know is when is an American company gonna bring this series over to North America? I would totally buy it if it was released on DVD here...

My guess is that there may be issues getting all of the music that they use. Also, while Nodame would definitely have a niche of devoted fans, it would be a hard sell to those anime viewers who think anything without ninjas or pirates or giant robots is "boring."

NC is the sort of series that should be used to expand the anime demographic. You'd need near Disney/Pixar level marketing, though, to make it work in the U.S.

How many Del Rey manga are there with anime unlicensed in R1? Nodame, Sugar Sugar Rune....
AoiHonou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I wonder if it means the manga is coming to an end, too. That would explain why they postponed the third season, which was supposed to premiere this year. They might be waiting for the manga to end, like they did with Honey & Clover.
No, mangaka Ninomiya is recuperating from appendicitis. That's why they are postponing the third season to synch it with the manga version.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
I am glad to hear that they are pushing back the 3rd season to coincide with the end of the manga. I would not have wanted to see an anime original ending. I wonder if they will be pushing back the two live action movies as well now.

On another note like others on this thread my favorite version of Nodame Cantabile is definitely the live action series. I just thought Ueno Juri & Tamaki Hiroshi were perfect as Nodame & Chiaki and I loved their on-screen chemistry.

After that I like the manga and then the anime but I do enjoy all 3 versions of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2