• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakemonogatari (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Mayoi has a truly frightening set of teeth.

It is like they mixed a 'Piranha Plant' with a little girl.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 was a much better episode than the last couple, in my opinion. The conclusions for these arcs are more enjoyable to me than the in-between chatter.

At the beginning I was rather upset that Araragi once again got into a fight with Mayoi, but this time ended up sexually assaulting her? I was wondering why she would even stick around after that, because I'm pretty sure any little girl would have left after he beat her up the first few times. But when it was revealed that Senjougahara couldn't see her, I understood that it must have been tough for Mayoi to find someone who could see her and even more so find someone who would reject her insults and insist on helping her. Mayoi having family problems with her parents divorcing is incredibly overdone in all forms of media, though I acknowledge that it is a legitimate and common problem, was not very interesting until the audience was given hints about her death. One question that I did have was what happened to Mayoi's mother and father? Did her mother die too, or did they both just move far away after Mayoi's death? If so, wouldn't Mayoi want to seek them out more than following Araragi around?

Senjougahara was also more fun to watch in this episode, probably because she showed a more human side and revealed that she still has many insecurities about herself. Since she was reluctant to tell Araragi that she wasn't able to see Mayoi, it seems that most of the matters she is concerned with are still supernatural. Although Senjougahara isn't my favorite character, I'm starting to warm up to her cold approach on everything. I don't really enjoy how she rarely lets on the what she is feeling or thinking, but I suppose that this aspect of her personality means that when she does reveal her thoughts, they can be surprising and affect the audience more.

As entertaining as this episode was, I fear that the next will be filled again with the type of non-plot-advancing conversations that I somehow am not too partial to.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's kind of the point of the series it seems, highly interesting conversations, people and their problems, and solving those problems.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, that's kind of the point of the series it seems highly interesting conversations, people and their problem, and solving those problems.

To me, when the conversations revolve around not the plot or problem at hand but many jokes about one topic (such as Senjougahara's mixed feelings about Araragi, or Araragi's relationship with his sisters) they aren't that interesting. I feel like although I know many of these conversations add character development, but a lot of the time the show seems to take them too far.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
As entertaining as this episode was, I fear that the next will be filled again with the type of non-plot-advancing conversations that I somehow am not too partial to.

Non-plot-advancing? This sereis is all about dialogue(read: not action). Nothing is useless here, everything makes sense and does advance/explain certain plot points. Were you half asleep while watching it? Just pay attention, besides only SHAFT can make such long conversations this entertaining.

I'd also like to suggest everyone who likes this series to follow this blog(ep. 5). It is quite entertaining and provides insight I sometimes miss.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:43 am Reply with quote
I bumped into this picture of some of Bakemonogatari cast.

Cute ^^

Well, I think I sympathised with Araragi the most (in episode 5) Very Happy Still have fond memories of my youngest brother slamming doors "just because" around that age ^^;. It was interesting to follow the "I know something has changed, but I am not ready to handle it". Apparently, the side effects of his former vampirism makes him susceptible to (other cleverly masked psychological) paranormal entities, but now that he has a "Sen-jou-ga-hara sa-ma" around, I am curious how the next cases would blend into the narrative. (It seems the crab god is also well equipped with frightful single-mindedness, among her other fascinating assets, and logically - she wants to trust).

Actually, the thing that really made me laugh, was Hitagi's comment on the hips. She can drown a whale with her sarcasm, for one thing. For other, those hips were really copy-pasted, which makes the gag hilarious form her point of view. She did cut off any possibility for Araragi of not telling the truth (about Tsubasa's unexpected reappearance) Anime hyper
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
Shows cool witty and funny. Think they are trying to attract older audience whatever. Have a question though. Just what/who exactly is the homeless guy. I know he has mystical powers but who is he? Is he even human?
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
LeanGreen wrote:

Non-plot-advancing? This sereis is all about dialogue(read: not action). Nothing is useless here, everything makes sense and does advance/explain certain plot points. Were you half asleep while watching it? Just pay attention, besides only SHAFT can make such long conversations this entertaining.

Perhaps what I mean to say was the parts of the conversation that were all jokes. Even though I enjoyed the Mayoi jokes, the Senjougahara ones had me dreadfully bored. I wasn't referring to the conversations as a whole, because I know that even the Senjougahara conversations that I don't really enjoy have a lot of allusions to future problems and character personalities. Just the bits that I felt went too far with one joke, or strayed too far from the topic at hand, etc. Sorry if I wasn't clear, while writing that post I thought this could be easily misunderstood so I get what you mean.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Think they are trying to attract older audience whatever.

Umm, so far I've seen three high-school students and a young girl. The only adult has appeared briefly. While I like Bakemonogatari, I don't think of it as being for an "older audience," unless by older you mean someone who's twenty. To me a show for an older audience is something like Bartender or Ristorante Paradiso where you have mature characters talking about issues facing mature adults.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
For as much as I love what SHAFT is doing to Bakemonogatari they did cut out couldn't fit all the dialogue even though OP and ED were sacrificed. According to this a very interesting dialogue is missing. I believe it to be genuine.

---------------------------

for #5 19:53~:
“You still haven’t answered me.”
“……”
Answer, huh.
I’m sure she is talking about that.
“Um, Senjougahara. About that, I…”
“Let me say it beforehand, Araragi-kun. I hate those type of love comedy that you know the main characters will become couple at the end but only drag the story along with half-hearted ‘more than friend, less than lovers’ development.”
“Is that so…”
“Even more, I also hate sports manga that the main character will surely win at the end, but drag the story along with 1 vs 1 match for a year or battle manga that last boss will surely be defeated anyway but spent the whole story on never-ending filler battles.”
“Did you just denied all shoujo/shonen manga in existence?!”
“So, what will you do?”

for #5 21:26~:
“Even I said so, Araragi-kun.”
“Huh?”
“If Araragi-kun reject this request, I will kill you and escape.”
“Isn’t you just a murderer?! You have to die too!”
“I’m that serious.”
“Ah, is that so…”

for #5 21:55~:
“Well, Senjougahara. Can I have a condition?”
“What is that? Want to observe me waxing for one week?”
“I’m sure that is the worst line you’ve even spoken until now!”

---------------------------

I think the first part is best. NisiOisiN is a genius. He made our favorite "crazy virgin tsundere-chan" Senjougahara say that Bakemonogatari won't enter the 'boring grounds' - absolutely brilliant!

Waiting a whole week for next episode gives me withdrawal agonies every time...
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
ShinobiX wrote:
Think they are trying to attract older audience whatever.

Umm, so far I've seen three high-school students and a young girl. The only adult has appeared briefly. While I like Bakemonogatari, I don't think of it as being for an "older audience," unless by older you mean someone who's twenty. To me a show for an older audience is something like Bartender or Ristorante Paradiso where you have mature characters talking about issues facing mature adults.

no i mean ages 14 up. Show uses too many puns and they do it in a fast paced clever way. Many grown up jokes/ situations too plus most of the characters are 17+
happymoose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
happymoose wrote:
This week... hmm. Seems a little too early in the series for a recap, but maybe I'm missing something. Little disappointing, but I guess it's no endless eight.

MBS aired episode 6 this week, they were a week behind.
Every other station aired the Special Recap

Next week MBS are airing a sports program while every other station airs episode 6. 21st of August is when we get episode 7.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Oh-oh - spoiler[a tomboy-stalker]? Very Happy
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 left me with mixed feelings of terror, confusion, shock and dark comedy aftertaste. I don't remember any anime with an episode ending in such a powerful way. I absolutely adore each episode of Bakemonogatari. Next one is on 21st... I'm dying to see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 26