• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Bricken the House

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
But the sibling incest drama anime was probably the stupidest one they picked up.

Says you! Koi Kaze is one of my very favourite series, and honestly, I should have paid far more for it than what I did. Not to mention, I think it was one of the better reviewed series on this site for that year.
Koi Kaze was a good show for those of us who wanted a more mature, non-goofy romance/drama series. And the fact that it was an incestuous relationship, at the very least, made me think about how I really feel about the issue, which increased my love for the show even more.

I do agree though that it probably wasn't the best idea financially, because that kind of series is not going to appeal to very many people. I'm still really glad that Geneon released it though.
yami_sora
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Another awesome episode. I look forward to these every week. Keep up the great work.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it, I loved Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Dragon Ball: Evolution. And I say that as a fan of Transformers for 15 years and Dragon Ball for 6.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I bet if Princess Tutu had a different title it might be slightly more popular ... whose bright idea was it to name it PRINCESS TUTU? lol It's such a great show, though. Everyone who's seen it seems to love it.
heavyweather

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Burnout: Justin's "simmer in the stuff you think you'll like" is a great idea. I've been doing that, and haven't burned out yet.

Blu-Ray: I own a PS3, but have no desire to purchase anything on Blu-Ray - yet. After seeing a comparison between DVD and Blu-Ray at Best Buy, I wasn't that impressed with the quality increase.
And yes, DMC was a poor choice for Blu-Ray. FMA or DBZ (yay for acronyms) would be much better

Misbegotten licesences: One of my favorite anime shows (Kamichu) is a good example. It didn't sell well - especially considering that it was dubbed.
I'm also surprised that you didn't mention Viz's botching of the Boys over Flowers release.

Webcomics: the only Manga-related webcomic I read is Megatokyo, which is on the Very short list of good OEL Manga. I'd also recommend Gunnerkrigg Court, xkcd, Achewood, and Sandra and Woo for the listener in question.

A great show, and I can't wait for the next one.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Scamp wrote:
I live in constant fear of this 'anime burnout' that I keep hearing about. I've only been watching anime for 2 years and I'm waiting for that day to come when I finally get sick of the stuff. No sign of that day coming any time soon though. I kinda wish it would though, I would like to spend my money on other forms of entertainment. Such as food.

Depending on how voraciously you consume anime, I'd say it takes a lot longer than 2 years to burn out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
How many people bought the Gundam Seed series[?]

/sheepishly raises hand

I will unabashedly admit how much I love Code Geass, tho'. Both seasons at that!

I didn't say anything about the quality of the show. Personally I think Gundam Seed went from overrated to underrated over the years. It's certainly better than stuff like Code Geass.

All I am saying is that for years Sunrise has always had a show that pretty much everyone watched online then when it was released no one watched them.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, this continues to be a pretty good and fairly informative podcast. Keep it up.

I haven't made the jump to Bluray yet...however, I'd probably be more interested in seeing a remastered version of the Revolutionary Girl Utena series than the movie, regardless of the format. Laughing

I remember Heat Guy J, which was apparently on TV somewhere at one point or another...it wasn't too bad, from what little of it I saw, but the show didn't seem like something necessarily worth buying either.

I really wasn't too aware of Princess Tutu's existence until after reading up on all sorts of spoilers about it, in no small part due to one of the recent forum tournaments. Wink

I'm feeling a little burned out too, but more with respect to certain genres as opposed to anime as a whole.

Charred Knight wrote:

All I am saying is that for years Sunrise has always had a show that pretty much everyone watched online then when it was released no one watched them.

Not that this is really the place to discuss the issue at length, but I actually think CG/R2 is better, on average, than GS/D, for quite a number of reasons. But back to the actual point...like I've mentioned before, I don't think you can narrow that down to just Sunrise because it is something affecting the entire industry to a greater or lesser degree and, more importantly, having full sales numbers available, as rare as they are, would be both useful and necessary before automatically assuming that "nobody" is buying this or that product in particular. Either that or an equivalent amount of inside knowledge as an alternative, but that's also a different story.
nagato316

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Excellent podcast this week. I remember the less-than-stellar reception Aura Battler Dunbine got when ADV released it in R1 some years back. I remember the sales pitch, too: it was from the same guy who created Mobile Suit Gundam, so it _Must_ be good!! As to the unorthodox mecha designs, ADV played the cross-promotion card: the quasi-organic visual style of Dunbine's mechas would inspire such mech designs as those for...wait for it...Neon Genesis Evangelion, still available in its umpteenth re-re-release from ADV Films!

They just forgot one little detail...even during the then booming times of the R1 industry, old-school anime was still a reeeeeally tough sell. It actually pains me to say that because I still recall my inner fangeek jumping up and down like a kid on Christmas morning when I first heard about ADV licensing Science Ninja Team Gatchaman during those boom times. Ah well...at least I can pick up those discs for dirt cheap at TRSI now.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Nice podcast.

In regards to the AoD potshots, just remember that not everyone on that forum is like that... Of course, the ones who are like that can be pretty obvious. That's why I don't go into a near begging mode with my license requests and instead just try to tie it into what I was talking about; better to make it casual than to make it annoying.

Also, I can just see how Geneon wanted to release Ippo as, but were told not to:
GUSA: We got Ippo! OK, let's get started on those sub-only boxsets!
GJ: Boxsets? Who said anything about boxsets? And sub-only?
GUSA: Yeah, sub-only boxsets. The show is excellent and all, but it's 75 episodes and a movie... And that's not including the extra episode and OVA we ddin't get yet!
GJ: But we can't have you doing that! You need to do singles and dub it... Wait, isn't boxing popular with Hispanics over in America? Give it a Spanish dub as well so that we'll be able to appeal to other audiences as well!
GUSA: ... We're so dead after this.

And while Dan Doh!! does seem to be an odd choice, let's not forget Bandai's other sports anime: Hoop Days, a.k.a. Dear Boys. It sold so bad in singles that they never released anything beyond two singles and instead did a boxset. At least Dan Doh!! got throught its double-disc singles as well as two complete collections re-releases... We haven't seen anything Hoop Days since that first boxset.

As for FUNimation, I'm going to say that Dragonaut will be their "Why did you license it?" title... Naturally it's because Gonzo commanded it, but that will definitely be FUNi's entrant.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Never mind, Strange Dawn was an Urban Vision title, not Media Blasters as I had originally stated.]

You guys didn't get around to AnimEigo, understandably since they're not really a factor at all in today's market other than slowly releasing Yawara! for the couple of hundred preorderers who care, but the release that probably made them the non-factor that they are was probably, sad to say, the You're Under Arrest TV series, and, more specifically, their decision to dub it in full. Before that, AnimEigo had done dubs with Coastal Carolina, but only movies and the occasional OVA series. The dub for the four-episode You're Under Arrest OVA series was very well-received for the time, with the Japanese director of the series reportedly preferring it to the original Japanese dialogue and playing it to the cast as inspiration before they resumed their roles for the follow-up TV series in 1996. But the TV series was 48-episodes long (not counting the edited-for-time versions of the OVA episodes that were recycled for the first four episodes of the TV series), and dubbing twelve times the number of episodes compared to the original OVA series must have been a huge expenditure for AnimEigo.

I don't have any access to the numbers, but I get a strong feeling that the dub didn't pay off in terms of additional sales from people that wouldn't have bought it sub-only, and probably cost more than AnimEigo got back in total sales. Unless I'm forgetting something major, I believe the only dubs AnimEigo put out after the You're Under Arrest TV series were those for the Urusei Yatsura movies and OVAs. Even though the You're Under Arrest TV series was released at more or less the peak of the anime boom, it was probably a harbinger of things to come for the domestic anime industry and should have served as a warning to the industry that, while English dubs are a nice thing to include, they simply aren't economically viable for many niche shows.

heavyweather wrote:
Misbegotten licesences: One of my favorite anime shows (Kamichu) is a good example. It didn't sell well - especially considering that it was dubbed.

Kamichu!, which I also love, at least had pretty glowing reviews in its favour, since it's a show that might be what a modern Ghibli TV series might be like if Ghibli did TV series, with vaguely Spirited Away-like fantasy elements interspersed with the everyday life of an otherwise-normal junior high school girl. A more likely target would have been Strawberry Marshmallow (which was personally my favourite anime series of the decade until I finally got around to watching Azumanga Daioh six years late last summer, but I like slice-of-life moé shows with a slight snarky edge). The girly-girl cover art and volume titles like "Cute is as Cute Does" probably didn't move many disks beyond the tiny subniche of domestic anime fandom that appreciates moé slice-of-life. A Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar and Bottle Fairies are probably other titles you can mention in the same misbegotten context.

My brother worked in Los Angeles for half a year and he specifically mentioned chicken-and-waffles at Roscoe's as one of his favourite culinary experiences in the city. I can't really fathom that combination of food, but it does remind me of that viral "Tokyo Breakfast" sketch, with the Japanese family talking "gangsta", from early this decade, since the mother made "chicken-and-waffles" for breakfast, though in an elegant Japanese style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
My brother worked in Los Angeles for half a year and he specifically mentioned chicken-and-waffles at Roscoe's as one of his favourite culinary experiences in the city. I can't really fathom that combination of food, but it does remind me of that viral "Tokyo Breakfast" sketch, with the Japanese family talking "gangsta", from early this decade, since the mother made "chicken-and-waffles" for breakfast, though in an elegant Japanese style.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thought of Tokyo Breakfast.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: Urban Vision's screw-up was putting out all those Tatsunoko spin-off titles on dvd and letting most of their marketable catalog titles rot on VHS. Worst argument ever that, because "FF:Legend of the Crystals" did bad on tape, there was no reason to sell it a new format. Um, I guess they forgot about a certain CG FF movie being one of the best-selling titles on DVD and BD. Rolling Eyes Even that Final Fantasy INO anime from ADV did well for the company. I'm just surprised they managed to rebound, or at least make me believe they rebounded.

As for Animeigo, I think the company's problem was it was slower to adapt to market trends than the rest, most likely because of all that samurai movie loot. I've even asked them about putting out UY in thin-packs, and they said they weren't interested. And YUA probably did better for Animeigo than KOR. The real issue is that the Robotech fan-boys still like the show, and would rather buy the Macek dubs than Macross. And I don't doubt that getting the rights to that series and re-mastering the picture quality was probably more costly than even finishing UY.

And only the first 4 eps of UY and the first movie were dubbed. I think bringing back the manga the way Viz did with Ranma might help the series, but Viz doesn't want to take that chance, because of MI, even though UY is probably more likely to sell, considering the popularity of Haruhi.
Zade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Do you guys think you could increase you volume?
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
I must say, I quite enjoy listening to these podcasts, no matter the topic. When Zac said, "Because you can hit the pool from my apartment," I completely lost it and had to get up and mix another drink, I was so giggly at that point.

And might I add it was very fun to hear Mr. Rob Bricken, because I've come to love reading Topless Robot, even when (more often than not) it's about a subject with which I'm not familiar (western comics/TV/nerdery, etc.). It's just a really, really well-written, genuinely funny blog, and it was a sort of an odd thrill to hear his voice.

Anyway, looking forward to next week's offerings now...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3