• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (with completed index)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
This is a very good series at depicting the character's reactions to the aftermath. I hope someone licenses it soon.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also isn't the modern day Tokyo much more dangerous for such a quake, with living so close together and the hight of buildings.

That's what I was thinking. Every episode is prefaced with a notice about all the research it's based on. You have the increased number of people and all the buildings next to old, narrow streets that are breeding grounds for fires given the situation.

The History Channel did some research on San Francisco and found that if an earthquake equal to the one in 1906 were to occur today, the casualties would actually be higher.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8, I haven't been so on the edge of my seat in a long, long time. spoiler[The first time Mirai was dreaming about Yuuki's death I was pretty sure it was a dream though I had my doubts. The second time I was getting ready to cry when she woke up. This show is phenomenal. I haven't seen characters this three-dimensional since the last time I watched Planetes.]

Those complaining about the realism...well I really don't see too much to complain about. Most of it seems perfectly valid. As someone who was just virtually incapacitated for 3 days with a 102.5 degree fever, I can certainly relate to Yuuki collapsing. But spoiler[what Kento did was really dumb. Good for Mirai for being a hero.]

Anyway, it looks like next episode we will find out what happened to Mari's family. Cross your fingers, everyone...
Wervyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
On episode 8, and I really have to put this in spoilers for people who might not have caught on:
spoiler[Holy crap, they killed Yuuki. Seriously, this is a triple fake-out, 95% sure. Mirai is just projecting Yuuki's existence as a coping mechanism. After all, Mari looks devastated in the second part of the episode, while Mirai is all chipper and ready to go. Every time they interact, Mari has this hidden air of "don't you realize you're talking to no one?" After all, she never addresses Yuuki once, and notice that Mirai is the one who carries the bag with her, never Yuuki. Maybe I've just seen The Sixth Sense one too many times, but either this is classic audience misdirection, or they want us to think they're misdirecting us, and it's going to turn out that he was fine all along and haha that was just a joke, all that not-so-subtle cinematography.]

In other news, great show, A+++ will watch again.

"Where's Bruce Willis when you need him."
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Just to add to what Wervyn said,spoiler[ he is dead. Mari left a message to Yuki and Mirai's family. When she is called, the document she receives from the woman in the counter is probably a death certificate. When Mirai wakes up from her second "dream", there are only two sleeping bags extended. The biggest clue as Wervyn already pointed out, is that Mari doesn't address Yuuki once after the event.

There are three episodes left. Mirai means future in japanese. In the first episode if I recall correctly, her classroom must write a paper about them 10 (?) years from now.]

Last edited by rti9 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I never really considered that spoiler[Yuuki was dead] after all - I was so relieved to have Mirai wake up from her second dream. Now that I look at the evidence, it all makes sense. If it turns out that y'all are right, this will be my favorite show ever because seriously - EPIC plot twist o.o
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh. My. God. You guys are right. I went back and rewatched eight. spoiler[Something seemed off, but I couldn't pinpoint it until y'all said that Mari doesn't address Yuuki once. Plus, the whole soccer field thing and the exchanges Yuuki and Mirai shared seemed too happy.

I can't believe this. He was my favorite character, so adorable, and loving. This leads me to wonder if, in the end, it's really just going to be Mari and Mirai (although that much tragedy would be staggering). I'm off to cry now. Truly, this episode was so sad when watched from that viewpoint.]
Bob_The_Fish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me a lot of the book Hiroshima, by John Hersey, which was required 9th grade reading for me.

Thoroughly enjoyable, and it's just great to see not only the main characters as they progress through their issues, but also to simply see how Japan would react to such a catastrophe. I also enjoy that the series doesn't hold back its punches, people actually do die, and in front of children. It's not gratuitous, but they really id an excellent job portraying it true to life.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
Well not the hapiest episode and that spoiler[now I see that he is dead, what a hard hitter, I also watched my 2nd volume of Gurren Laggan yesterday when I saw this so yeah I feel just peachy.]

Well I guess I didn't notice it at first, but now it seems so obvious, there were a few things that didn't add up. I wonder where it will go from here.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Could they have picked a less appropriate ending theme for this anime? Jeez, I spent like all of episode 9 crying my eyes out and then they start up with the happy music.

Looks like spoiler[Yuuki's finally going to tell Mirai that he's all in her head] now, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Wow. I'm speechless, really, I could never have guessed in the beginning they'd take the show this route. I'm not ashamed to admit it: I bawled my eyes out.

And talk about the dramatic twists and turns. spoiler[I was convinced Hina and Mrs. Kusakabe were dead, and then I thought they were alive, and then I thought "Yuuki's" optimism was misplaced and that they were dead...and then they were alive!

Mirai talking to Yuuki is the saddest thing I've ever seen. I was confused about how little Mari's response seemed to be to Mirai's weirdness, but I think it was a combination of her being preoccupied by her own family, and the creators needing to keep her feelings ambiguous until the end of this episode.

The way I see it, there are two ways to end this. Either Mirai is reunited with one or both of her parents and they start to rebuild; or she arrives home to a scene of devastation and Mari takes her in.]

I don't think my heart can take many more episodes like this. It was exquisitely tragic.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote
Well the series has gotten more depressing then I thought it would. Though spoiler[it was good to find out Mari's daughter and mother were alive so there is hope.] Though on the other part I am sure it is obvious that spoiler[Mirai is talking to herself, simply with Yuuki not once interacting with Mari. And finaly the fact that Yuuki was acting so strangly or almost like it is a part of Mirai, and that the bag was left behind when it looked like Yuuki had it.]

Well definetly sad bits and we will probably have more sad bits in next episodes, but is continuing to be entertaining.
anontest12345

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Holy wow EP10.
Best show this season by far.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

So is spoiler[Yuki now confirmed to be dead now or is this another fake out? Either way it's a bad decision to "kill" a character off twice. The second time has zero impact at all once you've made us think he's dead, and then he's not it brings on "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" effect in that you tend not to believe someone who's a confirmed liar even if they tell you the truth. Also, I'd sure like to know what the cause was, since he didn't have a mark on him. Disease? Aneurysm? Concussion? Dehydration? Malnutrition? Organ Failure? Throw us a bone here. Confused ]
SailorDeath

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Episode 10

So is spoiler[Yuki now confirmed to be dead now or is this another fake out? Either way it's a bad decision to "kill" a character off twice. The second time has zero impact at all once you've made us think he's dead, and then he's not it brings on "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" effect in that you tend not to believe someone who's a confirmed liar even if they tell you the truth. Also, I'd sure like to know what the cause was, since he didn't have a mark on him. Disease? Aneurysm? Concussion? Dehydration? Malnutrition? Organ Failure? Throw us a bone here. Confused ]

spoiler[
Actually it wasn't a double fake out, if you see the first flashback she has in episode 10, they tagged Yuuki as someone they couldn't save. In medical emergencies doctors have to assess the ones who are savable and the ones who are too far gone. (In other words, if they can save 10 people in the time it would take to save one, they'll take the 10 people and let the one die)

I think the first "dream" was of the shock following his death, and the second dream was what she actually experienced when he originally passed. They showed it out of order probably because it was meant to be disorienting to the audience and put them in Mirai's shoes for a brief moment.

As for what killed him, there were several moments that could have caused it. He could have been bleeding internally from the initial quake, received a concussion when he had a piece of concrete hit him when the tower fell. It could have even been a ruptured organ (like a burst appendix) or heat stroke. he really did push himself when he was already showing signs of illness.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9