• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - The Despair of the Letter Bees

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
That's supposed to be Beast? Bwahaha! Anime hyper
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm sick of sappy,shallow shoujo romances, and after reading the review, Home seems like something I should consider reading.

X-Men: Misfits also interests me.I'll check it out the next time I visit the bookstore.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
X-Men: Misfits looks like typical reverse-harem shojo, but I'm curious so I just might check it out. I wonder is Nightcrawler in it? He's one of my favorite characters, and I also really like Rogue (She is so much cooler in the new Wolverine and the X-Men series airing on Nicktoons Network.) But seeing as Kitty is the only female, besides Storm, I guess Rogue's not in it.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Oriana3k wrote:
Found some preview pages for Misfits. Some of those pages are sparkle-puke. Laughing

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=30400

... *goes to the work computer and orders it this very minute* Thank you very much, that sold me. Adorable Beast, bishi Magneto, Angel, etc. I'm a girl who grew up on X-men, and I see no problem whatsoever with the typical shoujo school setting being brought to the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning. This is designed for girl fans like me. This reminds me very much of Jill Thompson's "manga" attempt with the Sandman series, "Death at Death's Door" which I enjoyed quite a bit. This will be added to the odd ball item pile in my my comic collection.

Lol, you know, I wasn't really interested in this, but this is just too silly not to order. The pictures were awesome. Totoro-Beast is so cute! And whoa, talk about bishie-overload! Love it!
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
X-Men: Misfits looks like typical reverse-harem shojo, but I'm curious so I just might check it out. I wonder is Nightcrawler in it? He's one of my favorite characters, and I also really like Rogue (She is so much cooler in the new Wolverine and the X-Men series airing on Nicktoons Network.) But seeing as Kitty is the only female, besides Storm, I guess Rogue's not in it.

Yes, Nightcrawler appears in one of the preview pages, though he isn't named. I'm sure that Rogue will eventually make an appearance, just when things are getting steamy between Kitty and her harem.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
Oriana3k wrote:

Lol, you know, I wasn't really interested in this, but this is just too silly not to order. The pictures were awesome. Totoro-Beast is so cute! And whoa, talk about bishie-overload! Love it!

Hahaha. I feel the same way. I knew I couldn't be the only one who thought Beast resembled a Totoro.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
I dunno. There's something totally fascist about the underlying concept of Ikigami which unnerves me: that the lives of the survivors are somehow "improved" with the deaths of the victims. Plus, the way that people go on with their daily lives without questioning the system has disturbing similarities to Nazi Germany. [Or, if you want to be a little more contemporary, Vietnam.] It probably doesn't help that I can't entirely tell if the author sides with that kind of a society, or if he's mocking it.

I think I could deal with the premise, if it had more elements of a horror or a thriller story. But Ikigami seems more like a bad sitcom being "spiced up" by throwing in random deaths in the background. In a way, it probably ends up being more disgusting than the stuff which has actual gratuitous violence. Anyway, I might still consider the third volume before quitting, in hopes that the manga-ka ups the stakes a bit.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
You've never read dystopian fiction? It is supposed to be unnerving. And you do realize there are still governments and individuals that have this kind of power, right?

And "sitcom, seriously? Granted, I've only read the first volume, but I couldn't find any comedy in there. There were some lighthearted moments, but those were there to contrast the cruelness of the ikigami system.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria: Most dystopian fiction I've been exposed to has a sense of subversiveness or social commentary to it which I don't see in Ikigami. And yes, I'm aware that this kind of situation is probably "normal" in countries like China, but even they have cracks in their systems which start to undermine the legitimacy of their governments. [For example, the country's shoddy buildings from last year's earthquake probably forced the government to establish, or look into, new codes.] But, thus far, the manga doesn't delve into that possible outcome. Rather, the author's agenda seems to be to use the deaths as a back-drop for awkward social situations, rather than for genuine drama or dark comedy. The characters just use those tragic moments as an excuse to resolve their personal problems, and are thus not actually impacted by the deaths of the victims. Hence why I used the phrase "sitcom" to describe the direction of the chapters, since sitcoms are meant to keep people focused on minor conflicts, while ignoring the bigger picture.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
I don't know how much you've read, but I don't think you should judge the direction of the story before you've read the whole thing. Granted, I don't know where Ikigami is going, but I do know it takes time to build a world.

The stories of the individuals show us how the ikigami system works and also it's potential flaws by telling the stories of the victims. This examples are not only compelling stories by themselves, they also help forming the larger picture. We can't fully understand his opinion on the system and his reaction to it, if we only know how the system works in theory.

And yes, I don think there is social commentary in there. Japan's society places the good of the masses above that of the individual. Large companies don't mind using one employee to set an example for the other. The ikigami system is an extreme version of this mentality.

I don't know if you have every experienced loss yourself, but I can guarantee you it's horrible when young people, especially the ones close to you, die. The story had me the moment the principal stated "several of you entering the first grade today, will not actually live to become adults." Several of my classmates died before they could even graduate high school. It makes you think about your own life and yes, you'll start thinking about changes, resolving personal problems, because you realize you don't know how long you'll have the chance to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2