• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Johnston Waxes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Sirenlove wrote:
animenexus wrote:
SIRENS?

....?

Not you
In The background
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
_V_: Miramax is still around, and had nothing to do with the Hobbit. The company was interested in producing the LOTR trilogy, but turned it around to New Line, in exchange for a percentage of the profits. Not sure how the ADV/S23 thing affects the LA EVA, but if 1.0 does well enough on home video, I wouldn't be surprised if FUNi puts some of its money up for the production costs, too. As for the new movies possibly being retreads, while I haven't seen 'em, it's sort of easy to believe that's the case, given how many dips Gainax has made on "bonus footage" in Japan. And the "excitement" from fans doesn't seem to be translating into much of a box office. The Bebop movie made more money, and it was rated R, and had a smaller release pattern.

pparker: How many extra-less versions of shows and dips has Funimation made again?

Justin: Seriously. If a more marketable movie like HALO can't get off the ground, Eva's goose is cooked. Hell, Watchmen made a ton of money, and it's still in the red. [Though at least Eva movies wouldn't need to cram the entire story into 3 1/2 hours.]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:52 am Reply with quote
animenexus wrote:
Is that sirens in Background?

Yes, as has been mentioned several times now we record at Justin's place and he lives near a bunch of hospitals and the mics we have pick up the sirens sometimes.

Frankly in pretty much every podcast across all genres no matter how famous the person is you will hear background noise, be it sirens from the street or a toilet flushing or a fridge running or whatever. Not sure why that's such a huge deal to you.
Faceman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
First of all, Zac, never underestimate how much people want to hear you crap on new shows. Who knows, you might like Queen's Blade season 2 more than your season 1 review Razz

Also I was at Anime Boston this last year, and the ADV panel was crap. I forget who was there, but they were basically "we have some stuff we're working on, but nothing to show you. Let's take questions for an hour!" 5 minutes into the panel we walked out of the room. And 3 of those 5 minutes were discussing what panel to go to instead Wink
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:36 am Reply with quote
What about Godzilla?
Frankly I don't give damn
Will Sorry I most miss that part.
I Just thought you two record in room in Build in 8th dimension with Buckaroo Banzai

Zac wrote:
animenexus wrote:
Is that sirens in Background?

Yes, as has been mentioned several times now we record at Justin's place and he lives near a bunch of hospitals and the mics we have pick up the sirens sometimes.

Frankly in pretty much every podcast across all genres no matter how famous the person is you will hear background noise, be it sirens from the street or a toilet flushing or a fridge running or whatever. Not sure why that's such a huge deal to you.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
No, _V_, people aren't buying magazines as much as they used to because there are free alternatives all over the internet. Personally, I skim through at least 500 news articles online in a day and I read quite a few long articles.

The difference between a long article written on the internet or in a magazine an d what you wrote is that these writers are professionals.

You are passionate, for sure, but you don't strike me as a professional writer. You could have had some restraint, maybe cut all that typing down to a paragraph or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
All of the "major news outlets" say that "reaction to Rebuild was lukewarm"....every audience I saw it with, at cons and clubs and everywhere, has been absolutely raving and cheering about it. *the people that run all of the news outlets are obviously jaded veterans who have seen the series long ago*.....but the Narutards who we're "uplifting" into educated Eva fans? They think its mind-blowing. Everywhere I see, excitement about Eva is fever-pitch...the problem is that we're having trouble "getting the word out" because the news outlets have reached the foregone conclusion that "Eva is old"

This is as wrong as industry people saying "if everyone at the con bought 1 DVD everything would be hunky dory. So, you've got what, at BEST (even at Anime Boston) several hundred people in a room that are jazzed about "Live Action Evangelion". Online fans were jazzed about Haruhi, and that didn't come close to selling numbers to match the "fervor".

As for the "anime->Live Action->HUGE anime fanbase=profit", someone ANYONE please give me ONE, just ONE example proving the theorem.
Dragonball Z = one of the most popular anime series ever in the US, Dragonball Evolution = Live Action version of such that bombed in US. (You can argue it wasn't well done, why would you believe Eva would be different)
Speed Racer = Campy but beloved anime from decades past that recently enjoy a small resurgence on MTV, Speed Racer movie = faithful live action adaptation by anime FAN filmmakers that bombed in the box office.
Death Note = Popular manga and anime that ran on AdultSwim and made many fans, Death Note movie = cult "hit" that saw limited release and has done nothing significant to really improve the width or breadth of anime "fandom".

If people don't take anime seriously on it's OWN artistic merits, if people won't look at an anime trailer and think "that looks like a great MOVIE (or TV show) that I want to see" and instead think "hmm.. looks interesting, but I'm not into cartoons" then making a Live Action version isn't going to make a sizeable dent in that perception, because at the end of the day, anime will still just be "cartoons" to those people and the LA movie is different and just a "movie".
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Heero: DB: E bombed, because it looked so bad that even the PG audience it was targeting knew it was garbage. A decent adaptation would have made money, but the studio thought make a quick profit with a half-assed production, just because fans were willing to buy that version of DBZ with the crappy transfer. Hell, I don't even know if Shueisha or Toriyama will let FOX do a reboot of it like Marvel has with F4. As for Speed Racer, it did better than it could have, all things considered. But it bombed, because the Wachowskis were totally unfamiliar with movies marketable to the PG crowd, and despite what people like to argue, it was not faithful to the material, since, last time I checked, characters on the show did not spend time talking about f**ing mergers and buy-outs! As for the live-action Death Note, it was given one of those Fathom releases where none of the theaters were conveniently located to anyone, and the fans knew it was gonna be on DVD, soon, anyway. Considering the money Viz might have had to pay for that Chili Peppers song, it probably was still a success overall.

Now, if you're gonna use examples of American anime fans not meaning anything to the box office, you could bring up Ponyo and Eva 1.0.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
pparker: How many extra-less versions of shows and dips has Funimation made again?

Not to be snide. I don't understand why you are asking about Funi. The show's guest worked for ADV, the discussion was about ADV, I wrote ADV in the first line of my rant, I quoted CJ's comment that was specifically about ADV, and I only discussed ADV titles. Nothing in my post made reference to any other company.

Funi seems pretty upfront about their releases, and I presume the removal of extras from their ADV rescues cannot be avoided. For example, the Pani Poni Dash extras used "ADV" in the titles and the commentaries reference ADV a lot. I suppose ADV either objected to Funi using their name or logo or else demanded an unreasonable fee for the rights. That's different from removing the extras because you want to protect your singles sales, and then calling the collection "Platinum", which in any context implies "superior", which implies "more".

Doesn't mean that misdirection and lack of disclosure never happens across the market in general. Trying to figure out exactly what is included in various anime release versions is still a research project, when it should be made clear in marketing materials. Not limited to the anime industry either. Hollywood, Warner in particular, is releasing some really crappy Blu-ray transfers into the market, to the point they are worse than DVD (The Dark Knight), while selling the de facto superiority of Blu-ray. They also misdirect in terms of special editions, advertising basic initial releases with much fanfare, only to release the real special editions 4 months later expecting a percentage of double dips.

My intention was just to put some clothes back on the emperor. This industry is just that, a business. Not a fan club for R1 licensees. Goodwill (the resource for loyalty) is a business asset that can be earned, increased, spent, wasted or lost. The best companies manage it just as closely as any hard financial metric. Costco, Amazon, Nordstrom's and Apple are still in business and doing fine. The formula is simple. You make the effort to actually codify customer expectations (not just your own), then you do all in your power within economic limits to meet or exceed their expectations in every single transaction. You never misdirect or lie to a customer, or fail to deliver what you promise--and more importantly, what you imply via marketing language--and you avoid fine print wherever possible. TRSI/Nozomi is an example of it being done as close to perfect as possible in anime. The result is that I occasionally buy from them even when their price is higher and overall they get about 85% of my anime dollar.

tl:dr.... If I ever have to apply "fool me once..." with a company, then they don't get my goodwill. Quite the opposite.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
You're right, Heero. most of the comic adaptations, whether it's american comics or Japanese, don't translate into a large, new audience for the books.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion 1.0 on film print? really? well, not in canada. We got to watch a blu-ray disc being played in a theatre (and a defective one at that). they had to restart the movie 3 times cause the sound wasn't working properly.

Did the movie get wide release in the states? cause 50 screens in canada is a lot for an anime movie (outside of any ghibli ones)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Heero: Also, I have to add another reason why Speed Racer bombed. It's not popular with American anime fans. It's popular with boomers who happened to watch it when it first aired on American tv. I'm not sure why you would adapt something 40+ years old without at least recognizing that you're catering to a different audience for it than they were back then. At least IMAGI is smart enough to recognize that Astro Boy had to be updated.

pparker:
Quote:
Funi seems pretty upfront about their releases,

Except for the second half of Kodocha and the "re-mastered" DBZ, sure. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
and I presume the removal of extras from their ADV rescues cannot be avoided. For example, the Pani Poni Dash extras used "ADV" in the titles and the commentaries reference ADV a lot.

They kept ADV on the DMC credits.

Quote:
I suppose ADV either objected to Funi using their name or logo or else demanded an unreasonable fee for the rights.

Considering they worked on those extras, while FUNi stole their show from under them, I highly doubt a fee is unreasonable.

Quote:
That's different from removing the extras because you want to protect your singles sales, and then calling the collection "Platinum", which in any context implies "superior", which implies "more".

No, they just remove songs from shows and imply that they're "uncut".

Yotaru: I think he was implying the opposite situation.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yotaru: I think he was implying the opposite situation.

As I led my example set:
"As for the "anime->Live Action->HUGE anime fanbase=profit", someone ANYONE please give me ONE, just ONE example proving the theorem. "

I chose to use the most recent attempts to prove this has not been accomplished any time previously (it's an inconvenient side-effect that the movies ALSO bombed in and of themselves). If you want to go with "successful" movies I'm not sure I know of any anime LA movies to cite. The best I can do is point to movies like Dark Knight, X-Men, Spiderman, etc. And say AFAIK (I admit I haven't looked at numbers though) comic sales have not seen some huge surge nor has comic fandom in and of itself benefited greatly from the success of those movies. Now, I'll admit I'm not in that "scene" at this time, so if people can provide concrete proof to the contrary, fair enough. But I still say there's ZERO evidence right now that "Live Action anime movie" (whether successful or not) will do ANYTHING beneficial for anime fandom. It is my contention that it instead "hurts" anime fandom by showing how many people will not watch an animated film, no matter how much they might like the underlying story.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
actually I didn't notice sirens too much and did notice someone typing on their laptop towards the end but its all good. I've heard was worst podcast before (not from ANN). anyway! still thought it was awesome.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Heero: I see. Well, I imagine the reason comics themselves are not benefiting from these adaptations as well as their movies is because the publishers are still relying on the single issue/multiple spin-off/alternate realities/crossovers/reboots model. This approach probably guarantees the old-time comic book fans keep up with it, but it confuses casual newbies who might have seen the movies, but don't know where to start in the series to insure they're getting the canon version. Plus, those prices add up after a while. That's probably partly why one of the better sellers over the last year was Watchmen-because it's just one book.

Anime and manga have it easier, because you only get one official series with the occasional optional side-stories. CLAMP's been trying to pull that multiple cash-in crap with their recent work, but most manga-ka respect their audience enough to make something final. And if they do go back, they make it clear it's a different series which just happens to be connected to the main story. [Well, except for Araki and Itagaki...] But the point is that it's generally easy to get into anime and manga once you're aware of it. And a good LA movie might make it even easier to make newbies interested. I'm not sure if there's big money to be made from all this, but the potential is there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4