• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoko (not ono's) very best?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure that I could pick one, I have quite a collection of her works, and I would have to say that she actually gets better with each one she does. For instance I thought the GITS: SAC and Be Human cds rocked, and then I got the 2nd gig OST and it was better than they were.

And then the way she can switch back and forth so easily between styles of music. It's incredible! Not even to mention her ablility to make up languages.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:41 pm Reply with quote
You know, this has to be the most evil of all choices, if I have had to choose only one. Cause I love and worship all of her music.

I own all of her work, so it is so tough to choose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpikesGrrl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:34 am Reply with quote
I've only heard her Cowboy Bebop music, which I think is great even got my mother into it, in fact I got most of the CD's. Though I like the ending song from Wolf's Rain.

Mary
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
My mother absolutley LOVES "The Real Folk Blues." She always calls it the "Blue Folk Song" because she doesn't really keep up with anything anime related Laughing, but yeah, she says this is either her #1 or #2 favorite anime song, next to "Fukai Mori".
gunhoe86

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:11 pm Reply with quote
geez, this one is tough. i have 6 bebop cds and 2 from escaflowne. i've never heard wolf's rain though, so i guess i can't vote fully on this one. between the two i mentioned and macross plus, im gonna go with bebop. adieu, road to the west, space lion and call me call me are some of my favorite songs ever. esca moved me like no other music has, and i never get tired of bebop songs.

THREE CHEERS FOR YOKO KANNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~JOSH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love all my Bebop soundtracks (and I do have all of them), and Escaflowne is great, but my favorite Yoko Kanno soundtrack without a doubt is Wolf's Rain. I got both of the soundtracks almost exactly the days they came out in Japan (March 2003 for the first OST, January 2004 for the second), and I've hardly listened to anything else since. Very Happy They're just so absolutely masterful, I can hardly find words to express how much I love them.

Standout tracks for me include:

First OST: Stray (1), Renga (4), Leaving on Red Hill (6), Strangers (9) (Ha! I know Raj Ramayya, the singer of Strangers. He's so cool! I met him at Fanime.), Could You Bite the Hand? (13), Valse de la Lune (14), Silver River (16), Gravity (20).

Second OST: Heaven's Not Enough (1) (Probably my favorite song ever), Shiro Long-Tails (2), Mouth on Fire (5), Hounds (6), Face On (10), Friends (17), Tell Me What the Rain Knows (18), Sad Moon (21), Cloud 9 (22), and Go to Rakuen (23).

The second OST is without a doubt my favorite CD ever.
Saitou95

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:40 am Reply with quote
I have seen a few anime series mentioned here but I was never aware of Yoko Kanno's position in their music composition.
So umm, would anyone in the know mind telling me what he or she is like in the industry. Is she sought of like Ueno matsu in the final fantasy games?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Saitou95 wrote:
So umm, would anyone in the know mind telling me what he or she is like in the industry. Is she sought of like Ueno matsu in the final fantasy games?

Did you mean Nobuo Uematsu?

Well anyway, Yoko Kanno is a she, and I believe her musical background is from the West, mainly North America. A lot of her music has Western influences, which might be why a lot of American fans like her (including me Razz.)

If you want to see some series she did the music for, go here:

person#734
SSJ Ski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:37 am Reply with quote
I love all her work. Though I find it hard to choose between Escaflowne and Bebop. Songs like Call Me move me soo much. And songs like Yo Pumpkin Head and Bindy make me smile.

Escaflowne stands out for almost all its songs.

I can't choose between the two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2