• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Stray Dog of Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neuro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks you are right ... but some of others texts are still down ( or is it me only ? ) like A Cyborg Mephisto: Mythology in the Science Fiction Films of Oshii Mamoru or the one from Sheri Le
"Modern Ghosts, Postmodern Shells: Ghost in the Shell and the Crisis of the Human Subject" ... i have a copy of those documents but i don't know if i can found an official link to them ... reason why i asked first.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:51 am Reply with quote
neuro wrote:
Thanks you are right ... but some of others texts are still down ( or is it me only ? ) like A Cyborg Mephisto: Mythology in the Science Fiction Films of Oshii Mamoru or the one from Sheri Le
"Modern Ghosts, Postmodern Shells: Ghost in the Shell and the Crisis of the Human Subject" ... i have a copy of those documents but i don't know if i can found an official link to them ... reason why i asked first.

Unfortunately, between his PhD classwork and research, and working on the Oshii book, Brian simply hasn't had time to keep the site completely up-do-date. "A Cyborg Mephisto" was never up, but Hacking Your Own Ghost is essentially a shorter verrsion thereof. Sheri's paper is up at her homepage, and as far as other papers listed on AnimeResearch, a majority (and many that aren't listed) are available in the Academic section of my own AMWESS archive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:15 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Unfortunately, between his PhD classwork and research, and working on the Oshii book, Brian simply hasn't had time to keep the site completely up-do-date.
That's certainly an understatement. Cool
I did update yesterday with a couple of new book reviews, though. But my main effort site-wise has been going into creating a searchable database of all of the sources (and more) currently listed. I think in its next incarnation the site will concentrate on print resources. You do a much better job chronicling all of the online sources, Mikhail. I just can't keep up. Smile

There's no link to the "Unoriginal Trash or the Future of Manga?: The Role of Parody Dōjinshi" paper because I was going to take it down and try to revise it for publication somewhere else. I still might do so.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quote
BrianRuh wrote:
I think in its next incarnation the site will concentrate on print resources. You do a much better job chronicling all of the online sources, Mikhail. I just can't keep up. :)

Aww ^^ Though the reason is so very simple: you're in academia...and I'm in government. Not like there's much to do around here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
neuro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"A Cyborg Mephisto" was never up

Sorry on this particular point i 'm sure it was up

Quote:
A Cyborg Mephisto: Mythology in the Science Fiction Films of Oshii Mamoru_
This is a copy of the thesis I wrote for my M.A. in Asian Cultures and
Langauges at the University of Texas at Austin. For easier reading and quicker
load times, I have broken the thesis into files by Chapter.
+ Chapter 1 - Introduction
+ Chapter 2 - The World of Patlabor
+ Chapter 3 - Ghost in the Shell
+ Chapter 4 - Avalon
+ Chapter 5 - Oshii, Studio Ghibli, and Nostalgia
+ Chapter 6 - The Evolution of Mythology and Technology
+ Chapter 7 - Conclusion
+ Bibliography

--===Chapter 1===--

A Cyborg Mephisto: Mythology in the Science Fiction Films of Oshii Mamoru

Chapter 1: Introduction

by Brian Ruh

© May 2002

Click here to go back to AnimeResearch.com

Confused

Many thanks for your answers,the updated links and your AWESOME archive Wink
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:00 am Reply with quote
neuro wrote:
Quote:
"A Cyborg Mephisto" was never up
Sorry on this particular point i 'm sure it was up

Oh, I meant to address this in my last post. Yep, the thesis was up on my website but only very briefly. I took it down as soon as I signed the book contract with Palgrave, as I would be incorporating portions of the thesis into the book. (And to be honest, I changed things around so much that I'm not sure how much of it made it into "Stray Dog of Anime" in a recognizable form.)
neuro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote
thanks brian for the honest (and expected ) answer and so i am a lucky guy... of course i can imagine the complex work processus ...and even if i read it first i will now read with great pleasure and interest "Stray Dog of Anime" Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2