• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Code Geass Project's Launch Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I would like to make a real response about this but I simply can't I mean how do you respond to something like this. I mean any real reponse I would make would do nothing but incite a flame war and get me banned.

I love crappy B horror movies, horrible things happen in theses movies but I don't think that some how makes me a horrible person.

I love crappy buddy cop movies, even though the cops ends up killing a bunch of people and infringing on people's constitutional rights, or even basic human rights, but I don't think that makes me a horrible person.

I also enjoy Boondocks Saints 1 (haven't seen 2 yet) which is really about two drunken Irish Catholic vigilantes taking the law into their own hands and starting a mob war, leaving a bunch of people dead, but I don't think that makes me a horrible person.

I love Hemingway novels which are almost always about injured Bi-polar war veterans with some kind of sexual frustration who are drinking themselves to death, and who are being hurt one way or another by their own self destruction and/or society. I hope that doesn't make me a horrible person other wise..... well a lot of people are going to hell!

Also I don't think he means he enjoys the slaughter I think he means he enjoys the questions/tension/drama raised by such fictional situations.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Also I don't think he means he enjoys the slaughter I think he means he enjoys the questions/tension/drama raised by such fictional situations.

True, my previous response didn't focus on that though. If all the slaughter and evil deeds didn't generate dramatic tension, then I just plain wouldn't care for the series.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

I would like to make a real response about this but I simply can't I mean how do you respond to something like this. I mean any real reponse I would make would do nothing but incite a flame war and get me banned.

I love crappy B horror movies, horrible things happen in theses movies but I don't think that some how makes me a horrible person.

I love crappy buddy cop movies, even though the cops ends up killing a bunch of people and infringing on people's constitutional rights, or even basic human rights, but I don't think that makes me a horrible person.

I also enjoy Boondocks Saints 1 (haven't seen 2 yet) which is really about two drunken Irish Catholic vigilantes taking the law into their own hands and starting a mob war, leaving a bunch of people dead, but I don't think that makes me a horrible person.

I love Hemingway novels which are almost always about injured Bi-polar war veterans with some kind of sexual frustration who are drinking themselves to death, and who are being hurt one way or another by their own self destruction and/or society. I hope that doesn't make me a horrible person other wise..... well a lot of people are going to hell!

But in Nightmare on Elm Street Wes Craven is not trying to tell you that deep down Freddy Krueger is a great guy.

Earnest Hemingway was talking about his own problems and certainly wasn't endorsing his life.

The Mt. Fuji scene disgusts me because of its similarities with the Battle of Okinawa, just that the Japanese where not able to brainwash the Okinawans, and so their plan failed, and just resulted in a mass suicide.

Taniguchi and Okouchi should have known this, and not glorified it.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Oh Hell yes. Though i haven't seen how it gets the point where spoiler[Lelouch dies] I do know it happens. In my mind I hope that: spoiler[he just forgot himself, somehow used the geass on himself again. Or they could pull an X-men and he could wake up in another persons body. I don't want CG without Lulu. Unless it focuses on Suzaku.]

I would be down with watching the Nightmare of Nunnally anime. She is just so damn awesome in that manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

But in Nightmare on Elm Street Wes Craven is not trying to tell you that deep down Freddy Krueger is a great guy.

Earnest Hemingway was talking about his own problems and certainly wasn't endorsing his life.

The Mt. Fuji scene disgusts me because of its similarities with the Battle of Okinawa, just that the Japanese where not able to brainwash the Okinawans, and so their plan failed, and just resulted in a mass suicide.

Taniguchi and Okouchi should have known this, and not glorified it.

I really don't see Code Geass as endorsing Genocide... I think the theme of it being all so sick/horrible/deplorable through out the show is very prevalent, ie Lelouch's over dramatic angst. I am pretty sure by the end of it your supposed to see Lelouch as a very sick individual who's great intentions (ie a world free from war and oppression) paved his way to hell......both spiritual and internal.

besides that the shows is just one giant "Does the ends justify the means" philosophy 101 scenario that your half stoned prof makes up, which isn't such a bad thing just saying.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:

I really don't see Code Geass as endorsing Genocide... I think the theme of it being all so sick/horrible/deplorable through out the show is very prevalent, ie Lelouch's over dramatic angst. I am pretty sure by the end of it your supposed to see Lelouch as a very sick individual who's great intentions (ie a world free from war and oppression) paved his way to hell......both spiritual and internal.

besides that the shows is just one giant "Does the ends justify the means" philosophy 101 scenario that your half stoned prof makes up, which isn't such a bad thing just saying.

Which would be great if Taniguchi and Okouchi didn't keep on calling him as right, and if people stopped saying his actions where awesome. Compare how Death Note and Code Geass ended, the difference shows how the writers saw the character. The way I see it if Death Note was Watchmen, than Code Geass was Youngblood.

As for the part about how this comes off as a scenario from a half stoned Professor. Trust me I got enough of the "Hey Hitler wasn't evil" when the show war airing.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Which would be great if Taniguchi and Okouchi didn't keep on calling him as right...

Unless you have something concrete (and not taken out of context, of course), I think this is more about you putting words in their mouth than anything else.

It seems to me that you interpret anything that isn't an explicit condemnation written in bold as glorification.

The series portrays Lelouch as being sympathetic but it also goes to great lengths to show he's messed up, suffers and, in many ways, gets karmic punishment as a result of his actions. I don't think that means Lelouch never did anything wrong or doesn't have anything to answer for. It's, precisely, the opposite.

Quite a few people still think Light's actions were "awesome" too, to say the least, but that's even more off-topic.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight sorry it offended you but I still don't get why you think the show and its writers endorse genocide and Hitler when the show spends so much of its time focusing on the harm/death/destruction caused by bigotry, discrimination, Social Darwinism, and breaking of basic human rights.

Also you know why Lelouch is the good guy character in Code Geass because all the other characters are even more moral corrupt then him!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Which would be great if Taniguchi and Okouchi didn't keep on calling him as right...

Unless you have something concrete (and not taken out of context, of course), I think this is more about you putting words in their mouth than anything else.

It seems to me that you interpret anything that isn't an explicit condemnation written in bold as glorification.

The series portrays Lelouch as being sympathetic but it also goes to great lengths to show he's messed up, suffers and, in many ways, gets karmic punishment as a result of his actions. I don't think that means Lelouch never did anything wrong or doesn't have anything to answer for. It's, precisely, the opposite.

Quite a few people still think Light's actions were "awesome" too, to say the least, but that's even more off-topic.

I call that "Terry Goodkind's first rule of writing", if the author shows a character who commits a horrible action and is not condemned for that action (or the condemnation is weak) than the writer probably agrees with that character. It's served me well.

If you watch Death Note, the writer is clearly talking through Near, while in Code Geass Okouchi and Taniguchi are clearly talking through Kallen. Death Note ends with Near strongly condemning Light, while Code Geass ends with Kallen praising Lelouch.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!

Please excuse my fanboy moment...

I just really hope sunrise doesn't bring Lelouch back... :/
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely happy Anime hyper . I loved the show (though it did confuse and annoy me at times) and while this isn't the first 'news' i've heard about it though it does sound alot more official than what I'd heard previously so....

I'm a bit on the fence though because, while part of me thinks Lelouch should spoiler[stay 'dead']... assuming he is, for the story's plot's sake. another part of me hopes he's not because, well... other than a number of other reasons I can't really see anyone else as Zero. But please-for God's sake- let it be a continuation of some sort and not like a side story. Hell i'd even take a different story with new characters and everything (though i'd still rather like to see the continuation) but please no boring side stories or like a remake like FMA.

(though in truth it doesn't matter what they put out cause i'll most likely watch anyways Anime catgrin + sweatdrop ... in fact i know I will Rolling Eyes )
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quote
peachsncreamsoda wrote:
I'm definitely happy Anime hyper . I loved the show (though it did confuse and annoy me at times) and while this isn't the first 'news' i've heard about it though it does sound alot more official than what I'd heard previously so....

I'm a bit on the fence though because, while part of me thinks Lelouch should spoiler[stay 'dead']... assuming he is, for the story's plot's sake. another part of me hopes he's not because, well... other than a number of other reasons I can't really see anyone else as Zero. But please-for God's sake- let it be a continuation of some sort and not like a side story. Hell i'd even take a different story with new characters and everything (though i'd still rather like to see the continuation) but please no boring side stories or like a remake like FMA.

(though in truth it doesn't matter what they put out cause i'll most likely watch anyways Anime catgrin + sweatdrop ... in fact i know I will Rolling Eyes )

FMA Brotherhood was only a remake for the first few episodes and is continuing to follow the manga like the first series should have!
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
peachsncreamsoda wrote:

FMA Brotherhood was only a remake for the first few episodes and is continuing to follow the manga like the first series should have!

Yeah, the FMA brotherhood argument doesn't work here. FMA's first series was an alternate retelling because it was forced to be and bones did a decent job telling their own story. Now that the manga is on the road to conclusion, the Brotherhood plot is technically CANON to the main plot.

However, Code Geass is its own series and has no requirements to follow.

I agree with everyone saying, 'Please god, do not have it be a redo of the main story/direct sequel.' Series 2 NEEDS to be a continuation but on one level, the mythology FOR Geass. It's fine if they keep it in the same universe but aside from C.C., NO ONE ELSE NEEDS TO COME BACK. Everyone has had their story told and the only things left unexplained are concerned with the background of Geass itself.

Where did it come from? What about this whole subconcious of the world? What did Jupiter have to do with it all? What about C's World?

There are still a ****load of questions about Geass itself that we have not had answered and hopefully Sunrise will either manage to make another plot slowly advancing the background of Geass or a purely Geass focused show, with the politics and character development not being the primary focus. We did that with CG series 1, we don't need that in series 2.

However, I DO hope that Sunrise either has something planned as an ONA or OVA that will branch things from series 1 to 2. I'm crossing my fingers for a 3 episode OVA along the line of this:

-1 episode is a series recap, 45 minutes to an hour long, it explains everything to detail and finally puts to rest the idiotic rumor that spoiler[Lelouch is still alive. Seriously people, he is DEAD.

HE IS DEAD. The damn guidebook for the series confirmed this, I don't understand why people want him back. He was a GREAT character and he went out rather beautifully as a martyr of sorts. Bringing him back would just seem... wrong. He served his purpose, let him rest in peace guys. ): ]

(Sorry for that longass spoiler)

-Episode 2 would be 30-45 minutes long and cover the aftermath of the Zero Requiem and whatnot, maybe have a 5-10 year timeskip and seeing where everything is. I can't go into any detailed ideas because I can't imagine what they'd do but I'd like to see everything put to rest for the other characters. Maybe Suzaku passes on the role of Zero, maybe Kallen's become a politician herself, I don't know.

-Episode 3 would follow C.C. and detail what has occurred with her since it all ended. The places she's been, the people she's seen... You get the idea. And tossing in something of a bit of a teaser or small bits of info about Geass itself that would allow a set up for series 2.

This is just my predictions of course. It would be 'awesome' if I somehow wasn't far off but I have no expectations, just predictions.

Here's hopes to a new start for Code Geass... And an elaboration on the background it was built upon.
NDenizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
I hope to god it's a new original story, much like Gundam does.

Code Geass has great concepts, but cruddy characters and awful writing didn't do them the best justice. To see those ideas played out again with more sophistication would be great.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
This news made my day... no week.... no MONTH!

I am absolutely dying for more of this franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12