• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weekly Shonen Jump Editors Discuss Unauthorized Copies

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonpiece

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
While I think this is wrong, I will still sadly support it since their is literally no way American fans can see the latest chapters of something until it is available in the country. It would be cool if Shonenjump could make a site that we could view the latest chapters of the manga so situations like this could not happen though. It could be sorta like Crunchyroll except, manga edition.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is... it's about time.

Now it's just wait and see what action they will actually take. And whether they can pull it off.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I hope they pull it off...Honestly, scanlations for Shonen Jump aren't even necessary if a fan wants to read a series; with the exception of a few more unpopular series, most of it's being released by VIZ (and at a rapid rate!). It's unfortunate that some series, like Naruto, are edited, but the availability online keeps some readers from buying even one volume.

Hopefully they'll go after some of the larger hosts, though.
labantnet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
If the fanlators can get the pages out in less than a week, we should have the Tankabon when the Japanese do. Wanna fix the industry, you have to change with the times, not expect the times to stand still around you.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
labantnet wrote:
If the fanlators can get the pages out in less than a week, we should have the Tankabon when the Japanese do. Wanna fix the industry, you have to change with the times, not expect the times to stand still around you.

It's a whole different situation. First off, many scanlators aren't as concerned with quality and copyediting--it's not uncommon to find mistakes, mistranslations, and bad editing in a scanlation; even ones who are, it's rare to find anything that will match the quality of a good publisher. Also, there's the gap of time when the publisher gets a book to its finished form (which takes awhile, including translation) and then has to get the printing company to print off the copies. Then send them to bookstores and warehouses. It's a much longer process than scanning in a few pages and editing in translations.

Last edited by RestLessone on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dimlos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
labantnet wrote:
The reason the scanlations come out so quickly is because they don't have to deal with things like licensing, money and legal rights. Moreover, these things are not inherently "owed" to you or anyone else.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
While I agree with their point of view, consider that most major WSJ manga are also anime. Several of the anime I watch, including Reborn and Naruto on Crunchyroll and One Piece on Funimation, I watch them mainly because they're so close to where the manga is in Japan, and I'm excited about what's coming. I wouldn't be as motivated if I hadn't "read ahead." I realize there are the "leech-only" types who whine when their streaming anime has commercials, but many scans nowadays say on the credits page "This is only until it comes out where you are" and "support the author!"

I myself see Rumiko Takahashi's model of releasing her Rin-ne manga simulcast with Japan as one possibility of the future of manga, just like it is becoming with anime. Sadly, print media is going the way of the dodo, with everything online, hence the death of Newtype USA, Anime Insider, Protoculture Addicts (No new issue in how long again?), and others. Maybe Kodansha and others could learn a trick from their anime counterparts. There are still those collectors and those who prefer the tankobon format, but I personally love reading Rin-ne knowing I'm caught up to Japan, and wishing my other favorites would follow suit.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I heard about it from here: http://community.livejournal.com/bleachness/471776.html

One possible reason for the statement is that several fans commented on Kubo Tite's twitter about the 400th chapter before the issue containing the chapter even came out, and Kubo made some sort of comment telling fans not to post spoilers or something. The statement in Jump might be targeted less at scanlators and overseas readers and more at Japanese fans downloading the chapters before they actually come out.
Webbmaster62

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
labantnet wrote:
The reason the scanlations come out so quickly is because they don't have to deal with things like licensing, money and legal rights. Moreover, these things are not inherently "owed" to you or anyone else.

True, but that's the whole point they do it as well. They do it for free(some) and "supposedly" fun. Same thing for anime. The thing is, the Internet is pretty much like the world now. You can almost do anything you want nowadays. There's also so many ways of hiding yourself or identifying yourself, it's unbelievable. Basically, I agree with the company, but I go with another route. Dragonpiece had the perfect example. CR site for manga. That way, we wouldn't have to wait so long for another chapter. Also, even I know this is mostly about Naruto, Bleach and One Piece. Especially, One Piece.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
The actual full statement, in Japanese, and a translation can seen at Anime Vice. It seems to be pointed at those posting raws, since the message is only in Japanese.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Dragonpiece wrote:
While I think this is wrong, I will still sadly support it since their is literally no way American fans can see the latest chapters of something until it is available in the country. It would be cool if Shonenjump could make a site that we could view the latest chapters of the manga so situations like this could not happen though. It could be sorta like Crunchyroll except, manga edition.

It's called waiting. Naruto and Bleach are released pretty quickly, so it's not like you'll never, ever see those chapters. Plus, when you do, they'll be new to you, and all the more fun.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
The actual full statement, in Japanese, and a translation can seen at Anime Vice. It seems to be pointed at those posting raws, since the message is only in Japanese.

I'd say it applies to both, seeing as most of the big series in Jump it's talking about are readily available in english from VIZ. I'm curious if VIZ'll comment on it, I'm hoping ANN will talk with them about it- having a similar message printed in SJ USA would be nice to see

Anyhoo, people who don't understand Shuiesha's statement deserve a Fan Delusion Pony http://okazu.blogspot.com/2009/03/fandom-fan-delusion-and-what-fans.html [Erika Friedman's post about this issue will never stop being useful it seems]
dark_serenity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Dragonpiece wrote:

It's called waiting. Naruto and Bleach are released pretty quickly, so it's not like you'll never, ever see those chapters. Plus, when you do, they'll be new to you, and all the more fun.

waiting 4 months for a new volume is not my definition of fun... Shocked

and i think thats a great suggestion!!! not that itd make things better or worse.. but at least that way the manga wouldnt be tainted with bad translations or low quality scans.. right?

but i do see what you mean, even so, there are some manga's that will never come here no matter how much we wait, so i'd see why its an okay thing to have manga scans online, while i do believe people should purchase the book when it finally gets licensed or released *which i do and many scanners say to do so* its hard to be patient, especially when you dont know if the next volume will ever be released here in the states..

but again i dont condone illegal scanning...
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I do support them buying the original manga, but I'll still read scanlations too, for several reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope the publishers of manga will synchronize their release for Japan and North America (USA+CANADA) so that many gets to follow the series as close as possible to their counterparts over sea. Working up the culture and raising the new generation to a habbit of buying content, following anime and manga series online who then in turn become fans would be cool for the industry. Truth is the aniem and manga have more than a room for itself in North America but their presence must be increased on the same level as movies are.

Finding a way to monetize properties while increasing the fandom working with sites like onemanga and mangafox who hold tremendously huge libraries and fans base would be the best idea. The manga online could be only in white and black while the sold editions are full color retaining the author's vision and giving the fans a more enjoyable reading and content to view.

Did you know? I have discovered more than 70% of my manga series from those sites and I'm a fan now because it's available online. Did you know that I can follow my favorites series weekly right when it is released from Japan when I visit those sites, so shut them down and I can't be a fan of the manga anymore because there is only one store selling manga in Quebec, the Imaginaire and hardly covers everything manga plus the long delay to wait around to see the next chapter of a serie unless the publishers open up a simultaneous release?

How will the industry answers to that and adapt to monetize these opportunities is what I'm asking and wishing they will move foward the next age, anime and manga in North America to take their rightful place.

Youtube, online ads, streaming sites, subscriptions, news sent to e-mails with graphics (photos, artwork or something visual) with good articles and many more could be worked out for that end.

Working with the fans will boost popularity even more but it's just about how to monetize that popularity in this internet age.

Yes, I totally understand reading it online is not the right thing but do something a la Crunchyroll style with a subscription to read online manga in full color with a translation or give us fans the opportunity to encourage the authors while we get the chance to have simultaneous releases with Japan. That will give us the next chapter of the manga right when it comes out and we will in turn give back to the cool people who make them. Smile

http://www.vizanime.com/one-piece has the perfect setup and it's neat looks surely encourages the sales for me. I get to see my anime with the manga available to buy, did I say available is the keyword all the time?

We have anime streaming sites but what about manga viewing sites as the next step ;p?

Is there a big committee of Manga artists and publishers in North America, how about you guys all get together and make your move with anime distributors to totally ramp up the visibility and publicity level of said series???

I'm just suggesting up stuff like this because I'm a huge fan of Japanese written animation and stories. They have style and are worth showing xD! The problem is the business model and availability... I don't want a freeaking stupid barrier between worlds, I want to read my manga at home or at my girlfriend's house and check them out whenever I want. At this point, paying for that would be no problem given a reasonable price. Keyword price, what is reasonable for the authors and publishers but also just to the public, for me if they have most of my series maybe 7-9$ monthly to start and if the content is very much premium then increase subs cost to 12$ or yearly 120$ ~ ? Complain all you want but at least that's money in the pockets of the editors?

I would think that it cost more to serialize Shonen Jump in paper than putting it online doesn't it? Sure I love books, the best invention of mankind in my opinion, but the electronic and internet age are here and that's also important to include it and monetize your rights and work, available to a wider and broader audience of readers that reaches the four ends of the world.

Last edited by Dakaran on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 16 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9