• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Apples and Oranges

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:50 am Reply with quote
@Fallen Wings - thanks for your post. Sometimes discussions here can become a bit heated and it's always nice when people can pull back a bit. I should point out that I didn't dislike NT&HT, I was just somewhat disappointed in it. However, your enthusiasm for it puts you much more solidly in the majority, I think, then my lack of it.

I've read the first three volumes of GSG (I've been holding off reading the other three I own until I watch Il Teatrino) and I did prefer the anime (the first season). GSG was among the first series I watched when I first started going ga-ga over anime last year, so some of my love of that show could be wrapped up in that. I'm assuming it will stand up when I re-watch it, but it will be interesting to see if my opinion changes at all.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@Fallen Wings - thanks for your post. Sometimes discussions here can become a bit heated and it's always nice when people can pull back a bit. I should point out that I didn't dislike NT&HT, I was just somewhat disappointed in it. However, your enthusiasm for it puts you much more solidly in the majority, I think, then my lack of it.

I've read the first three volumes of GSG (I've been holding off reading the other three I own until I watch Il Teatrino) and I did prefer the anime (the first season). GSG was among the first series I watched when I first started going ga-ga over anime last year, so some of my love of that show could be wrapped up in that. I'm assuming it will stand up when I re-watch it, but it will be interesting to see if my opinion changes at all.

@Blood - And thanks for your post. *sigh* now I can breathe a sigh of relief. I can't believe I was so rude ... and I didn't mean it about the whole moral thing either. Your view point is quite valid, just I'm being incredibly picky X3

So I guess it was a swap around. We were disappointed of each others show. I mean, GG isn't a crappy show, (I was way over dramatizing it). Just I tend to sit back and think too much about my shows so ... yeah X3. Trust me, I would marathon GG over and over then sit and watch some endless shounen shows or some shoujo crap fest.

Ah, don't be so quick to say that being in the majority is a good thing Wink to say that to me will more likely get a "Ewwwww~! No wayyy! Blargh!" reaction ... or something more comical. But I'm rather enthusiastic about my anime that I enjoy - which I assume you do too. I mean last year I did my English Film study on a scene from Harlock (Got bonus points for going into symbolism) and this year I did my Psychology Essay on Harlock as well.

Well I found that parts of the anime ran a lot slower that need be. If I remember I believe that some parts of the anime were better played out but parts of the manga outplayed the anime. I had problems connecting to both of them in some parts ...

I thought the episode where Triela met "The teddy bear guy". I knew it was meant to be sentimental with her & him but I just couldn't connect. Just it wasn't played off like I thought it should and I encountered that several times through the comparisons. Perhaps it is the lack of development of the female characters - or that story relies on the partnership too much - I don't know. But I don't think the side characters played off too well in it ... imho. Perhaps I should try and re-watch the anime again. Been a little while ...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
I wonder if the hosts of Top Gear have ever seen Initial D? And has Top Gear ever had a mobile suit episode?
Not directly, but James May did a series for the Discovery channel about strange new inventions which took him to a Japanese institute developing a device to help nurses lift heavy patients without causing injury to either and it was similar to a mobile suit as the nurse was wired up inside the device working its arms and legs walking and lifting. I think May volunteered to be the patient in bed. Wink
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
leftbehindxp wrote:
Erin, when you started writing this column I didn't enjoy reading it at all. I felt bored with it every time. But for the past month or so I've started to really enjoy it.

Hooray! Thanks!

TheRoyalFamily wrote:
But we are to believe that Italy - ITALY of all countries - is at the forefront of cybernetics!

I ended up cutting it down for length, but originally my review had a lot more jokes like this:

If only there was just one little boy assassin in this show! I watched this with friends (I still don't own a Blu-ray player or HD TV) and we figured that the Italian orphan boys are all being genetically enhanced to be star soccer players while the girls are trained to be assassins.

The show is set in Italy, and Yu Aida has even done doujinshi of just his Italian landscape paintings. Strangely, none of the characters take siestas, the buses are never on strike, and one character claims to have been working for three years straight without a vacation. C'mon! We all know western Europeans get a month's vacation, standard.

mufurc wrote:

Originally I was going to call my test #3 "The Strawberry Marshmallow Test".

I watched the first DVD of the anime series, and it was good clean fun. But that's why I think that artist is so subversive! Apparently it's all fun and games until you get to volume four of the manga, after which even my pervert friend was too creeped out to continue reading. (And this was in English...)

Actually I had been confusing Barusui with YUG, whose short comics appear in Robot: Super Color Comic.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Erin, spoiler[You will get your wish for a little boy assassin when you watch season 2]
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I watched the first DVD of the anime series, and it was good clean fun. But that's why I think that artist is so subversive! Apparently it's all fun and games until you get to volume four of the manga, after which even my pervert friend was too creeped out to continue reading. (And this was in English...)

Anyone know what's so creepy about vol. 4? I have read it before and just quickly checked it to see if it had some creepy stuff. The only things I found was three pages long bath scene (with towels and Miu in very unsexy underwear) and one panel with Miu's panties visible, and I just can't find these scenes creepy. Maybe I'm not perverted enough?
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
I thought I'd get on Dictionary.com and look it up:
Quote:
spoiler[
lolicon- no dictionary results
No results found for lolicon:
Did you mean silicon?
]

Anime smile + sweatdrop
outlaw55

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
mufurc wrote:

Originally I was going to call my test #3 "The Strawberry Marshmallow Test".

With Strawberry Marshmallow the entire TV series and both OVAs are pretty much just clean fun (I have all of it on DVD). If the GSG and Strawberry Marshmallow manga cross over into that lolicon territory, they could be similar in the sense that the anime for both did not cross into that territory. Keep in mind when an anime adaptation is being made of something, it does NOT have to go in the direction the original author intended to go in and can be adapted differently since the manga creators are NOT the directors for anime adaptations. By adapting something from a manga or h-game, then cleaning it up for the anime, they can pull fans from the original audience and also gain some new fans with the new "clean" anime version and not have the intention of going in the same direction as the source. I personally think when branding something, the original creator is less important as to judging the material unless it's meant to be a direct adaptation. One probably needs to look at the studio adapting it, what they typically make, and also the director of the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10