• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is western franchises becoming anime a new trend?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
So do you think we may see more western franchises becoming anime, and is this thing becoming a new trend for the anime industry?

Notice: the following is based on my opinion and is not based on fact. Please keep this in mind when reading. Thanks. Smile

When I first heard the announcement FUNimation was co-producing anime, I originally thought it was to help them bolster their licensed franchises by getting titles to us faster as well as earning revenues from other franchises, such as merchandise.

As more information became available, I realized this isn't the case (though it could still be for a few titles). Instead, the news turned my original view into "Now we're going to make cartoons for a different audience".

Therefore, I'm now out of the loop when it comes to "anime". Instead, it's the kids who will enjoy Japanese-produced shows featuring stories they're comfortable with.

I'm okay with this, because this is what FUNimation needs to do. They've tried to expand anime and it failed, so the next step is to expand other avenues, and it should work because the target demographic can lead to greater revenues.

Adult Swim has a few anime series, but there's less of an audience than a co-produced show airing at 7pm. Capitalizing on this is a necessity so that these revenues from co-productions can be used in other areas, such as our real anime.

Thus, these "western franchises" aren't to expand anime at all, but to increase revenues for companies who rely on entertainment as their primary business model. Since this aspect isn't to drive DVD sales, there's only one option left: merchandise.

We've seen this success before (Pokemon, anyone?) I believe this is why "western franchises" are being outsourced to Japan, who have the skills and experience to deliver programming which is difficult to do here in the United States (which is why much of today's programming is imported, rather than created).

I see this is as great news if these franchises pays off so FUNimation has extra cash to finally get all the licenses to Familiar of Zero and Shakugan no Shana (oh please oh please!).

What I don't believe we'll see is anime turning into these franchises for us, those who have a different definition of "anime". I believe the co-productions will help produce other series and may even help spur the production growth to allow these studios to finally get a crack at producing original stories rather than be restricted to the current "otaku" demand which is currently the "hot" item to produce.

Risk is necessary and this is their attempt at it. I definitely believe it'll work out, especially since FUNimation also has a toy company in the ready (news people seem to have forgotten). Not every series will be a hit, but all it takes is that one.

Depending on the content, hell, even we may turn into customers as well. One just never knows.

I will make a jab here, though: Last year, I made the comment that these businesses needed to do this in order to survive. I received quite a few "PJ, you don't know what the hell you're talking about!" replies.

Now it's my turn to say "Told you so!" Coincidence these companies are now following the same thing I said they should be doing? Heh.
Twisted Evil

I may seem like a crackpot, but I've already been down this path others are finally learning to do in this digital market.

Adapt or die. It's nice to see some adaptation finally start evolving.

Oh, and another prediction: Section 23 is doomed if they don't get out of this dubbed-pricing-for-subtitled offerings. Relying on a few titles in this day and age will be death. 2012. That's their new death date since my original prediction of ADV gone by 2010 has already been fulfilled. Bwaa haa haa!

Don't forget about the notice above, k? Wink
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
Wow PJ! I didn't know you could see into the future of anime! So, tell me, oh great one, will I ever see the rest of Hellsing Ultimate on R1 with the original English dub cast in my lifetime?

(Seriously, I'm not trying to be sarcastic.) And while you're at it, any more predictions?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Wow PJ! I didn't know you could see into the future of anime! So, tell me, oh great one, will I ever see the rest of Hellsing Ultimate on R1 with the original English dub cast in my lifetime?

I seriously doubt it. If anything, there may be another version, but any existing versions are done.

As for the future, it's not really a prediction as much as it is common sense.

Quote:
(Seriously, I'm not trying to be sarcastic.) And while you're at it, any more predictions?

A few, but not sure if these will take the thread off topic, and I'm a bad boy for doing it. So, I'll release them under spoiler tags on the promise if anyone wants to chat, they'll use PM.

1) spoiler[Section 23 will put itself up for sale by 2012, hence the "gone". FUNimation will be the likely buyer, having the capital to do so. FUNimation reported large revenues from their live action titles, which was surprising on their part. One grows, one shrinks. Thus...]

2) spoiler[The sales of the second season of Haruhi will bomb. They'll be good, but they'll bomb. Bandai's only got one basket left. After this, they'll either pull out of the NA market or we'll never see a dubbed title from them ever again.]

3) spoiler[By 2015, anime distribution hits an all-time low because many studios have closed their doors, so less titles get produced. What happens after this is a new crop of anime producers will grow, as they adapt to a new market. By 2020, the United States will know exactly what "anime" means.]

There you go. But don't forget what Ryou said: fortunes only show one path of a many possible.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info! I still hope you're wrong about HU but you're probably right. Looks like I might as well fansub the rest. But speaking of Hellsing, and to get somewhat back on topic, I'd love to see a live-action version of Hellsing. Heck, I wouldn't mind a Western reboot of the manga, ala Dirty Pair/ Adam Warren.

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled discussion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3