• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live on Tape from Anime Expo 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Shichimi wrote:
A question about AnnCast: would you guys ever consider transcribing the broadcasts, so that we could read along?

Having been hired one summer to transcribe some testing that was being done for a psychological study, I can tell you that it's time-consuming and not fun. I was listening to tapes that were as long as ANNCast recordings and I didn't have as much to type and it was still taking me hours to do (then again, some of that had to do with figuring out who was saying what if certain voices sounded similar and they weren't addressing one another even though they were supposed to). Unless if there's a progam out there that can transcribe the podcasts, I imagine that a new person would have to be hired to do it with as busy as the workers at ANN are. And even if there was a program that could do that, I imagine that someone would have to do a quality check to make certain there were no major screw-ups. It seems like it'd be more of a hassle than it's worth.

Anyways, thanks guys for all the work you do for ANNCast. It's one of my favorite podcasts to listen to.

And I feel really embarassed for the PK guy. Whenever he came on (and that last guy), I had to take my earphones out of my ears. Either way, I wish him luck.

My suggestion: Take the audio, upload it to youtube (on a private account so ANN doesn't get mad), and click the "CC" button and the magic of google will generate captions for you that will be ~X0% correct.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
I hope the Princess Knight guy posts on these forums. Reveal yourself, amazing sir. Very Happy

I've no interested in Princess Knight but will gladly sign the petition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Odd. Usually I can't watch the whole podcast thing because I get bored of just listening after a while. (I mean, that's an hour in which I can't read anything because I can't pay attention to two things at once or watch any videos. And I must admit, I have a pretty short attention span...) But actually, this is the first time I've ever listened to an entire ANNCast episode/file/whatever you call these. (Still new to this whole internet radio audio whatever business, sorry.) I actually found it surprisingly interesting and funny. Good job, guys.

(...sorry if this came off as condescending somehow. Anime cry It's not you, it's me!)

P.S. Will sign Princess Knight Guy's petition.
Vapors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Love the podcast. I just started listening and have now started going back to some of the older ones. Sounds like there was a lot of fun had by all at the panel and the con in general. I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post, but I was wondering what people's thoughts on the con itself were? I figure that now that people have had a few days to cool off and look back, I can get some opinions on AX.

I've never gone, but this year's lineup and the fact a friend went last second, has kinda convinced me to travel to LA to attend for the first time next year. But I can't shake that some of the things I'm hearing could impede or ruin it for me. Namely I wish to know what people who went thought of some of the following.

1. Sounds like there is a lot of new management and I was wondering how people thought of the organization? I have heard that prior to this, wide speculation about a lot of turnover from the prior year to this year. Namely numbers ranging from 50-75% (mostly experienced). Going by some of the reports on other forums and this one, I have heard this led to a lot of disorganized autograph lines, long reg times, rude and/or incompetent staff/volunteers and unsettled panel schedules. Is this true? Was it truely widespread as this or mostly experienced by a few (albeit vocal) minority?

2. Will there be a lot less vendors next year as compared to this year? The report about the convention center raising their rates seemed to steam a few vendors I read. Mostly smaller to midsize ones. I've even read that some have sworn off coming to AX next year. I know people don't consider shopping part of the con experience (what with the internet and all), but I am a sucker for splurges if I see something I want now. My question, have people heard that there will be a reduced presence of merchants?

3. Thoughts on the convention area. I have always heard that the area around the convention isn't too great, but that the shuttle service was good. Is the area really so dangerous?

I had a friend go last minute this year and he had fun. He got the autographs he wanted, went to the concert w/surprise guest Yoko Kanno and overall didn't have any bad experiences with staff or volunteers. Granted, he is a very easy going fellow and my schedule of things to do would have been more ambitious than his, but I wanted to get a better feel of what people's thoughts are of AX before I commit to going for next year. Thanks.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Odd. Usually I can't watch the whole podcast thing because I get bored of just listening after a while. (I mean, that's an hour in which I can't read anything because I can't pay attention to two things at once or watch any videos. And I must admit, I have a pretty short attention span...) But actually, this is the first time I've ever listened to an entire ANNCast episode/file/whatever you call these. (Still new to this whole internet radio audio whatever business, sorry.) I actually found it surprisingly interesting and funny. Good job, guys.

Hey, none taken - podcasts are basically just talk radio shows, which are ideally meant to be listened to while you're driving or on the train or doing data entry or something. They're not really an "active" experience, so I totally understand. The only time I listen to podcasts at home is when I'm cleaning.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I usually listen while doing something else. Then a particular comment will catch my ear but I have no idea what it refers to so have to skip back a bit and find out.. but due to the length of the track the seek bar in Winamp is quite granular so I go back to far so I go back to what I was doing while it catches up.
Then suddenly that comment comes back up and I've missed what it was about, again ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
No idea if the Princess Knight guy is on the forums, but for everyone's entertainment, and potentially to mess with his head or highly amuse him , here's a picture of my R1 french-language Princess Knight dvd collection, now OOP from http://secure.dep.ca/fr/. It's a thinpack, and the show's pretty insane.

And what's that in front of it?
Noriko, will you point it out?

Why yes, it's Princess Knight Anime smile

PS--- really enjoyed this week's podcast Smile
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
It's weird someone also in the podcast's audience mistook Princess Knight for Rose of Versailles, oh the shame (not really). It's easily understandable to get the two shows confused, being they are both old as Methuselah. But one shouldn't mistake one for the other simply because they both center around a girl who impersonates a young man.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the reason they asked about Rose of Versailles was because the person wanted to make sure PKG was not confused with the two series when he compared Princess Knight's popularity to Astro Boy's.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I think the reason they asked about Rose of Versailles was because the person wanted to make sure PKG was not confused with the two series when he compared Princess Knight's popularity to Astro Boy's.
Yeah, I suppose it was an assumption on the part of the lady that spoke up about Rose of Versailles. PKG knew definitely which series he was talking about, but since those 2 old shows do get confused, the woman wanted to be sure other people in the audience weren't, I guess.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
It's weird someone also in the podcast's audience mistook Princess Knight for Rose of Versailles, oh the shame (not really). It's easily understandable to get the two shows confused, being they are both old as Methuselah. But one shouldn't mistake one for the other simply because they both center around a girl who impersonates a young man.

Actually, everyone knows Oscar's a lady. It's kind of an open secret, which makes her an object of fascination for some of the court. But yeah, I imagine for many kids, they'd easily confuse them. Or more likely, have no idea what either of them were talking about.
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
DaisakuKusama wrote:
I was there!

There were many highlights at AX this year, but the ANNcast was a favorite.

I wish all of you could have seen the look on Zac's face when that guy at the end was going on and on and on...Zac never changed his expression, just stared blankly at the guy, like he was thinking about what he was doing later or having for dinner or what movie to see this weekend...priceless.

As for the Notorious PKG...I think he was in his forties, thin and wearing a black suit and tie, with glasses and serious HLS. He had an Anime Expo water bottle strapped to his belt. I'll let your imaginations take it from there.

Not only that...he was sitting in the same row as me! When Justin and Zac started cracking wise about underage sex and hentai, the guy next to me started screaming "Yeeeaaaahh!!!" and "Yeah, Baby!" and "That's what I'm talking about!" I looked over, and...

IT WAS PRINCESS KNIGHT GUY!!!!

So chew on that, those of you who were already creeped out. Then I got to see even more looks on the faces around me: all of the girls at the panel who were looking very scared.

Oh, Princess Knight Guy, you will live forever in our hearts.

Lol I was totally one of those girls sitting in the back making that expression when the princess knight guy was screaming to the sexuality aspects of manga/anime. My friends and I kept looking at each other with "omg did he just say that" expressions when he made those comments. If you play the anncast loud enough you can hear him saying those comments. I will never think of sexual deviancy in the same way ever again...

If you guys do this again next year I'm so there!

Last edited by Smart Chick on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Klampo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
Let's get that Princess Knight petition rolling! Laughing
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Princess Knight Guy - new running gag/mascot of the ANNcast!
Nephtis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:29 am Reply with quote
Great show, shame I couldn't be there (good old other country issue). Hearing you give out Heat Guy J DVDs while I got cash out at an ATM made me laugh out loud and the people behind me looked at me strangely; I don't think they could see my earphones.
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8