• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Touchy Subjects

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
zgripţuroicǎ -
Do you support ALC Publishing?
http://www.yuricon.org/alc.html
Quote:
AniLesboCon (ALC) Publishing, the publishing arm of Yuricon, was founded in 2003 to create and disseminate high quality Yuri (Lesbian or Girl's Love) comics to the worldwide English-speaking audience.

You could do as I say & buy all their books, or as many as you can afford so that they will make money to license more. This is how yaoi went from TP dipping its feet in the water of yaoi with Gravitation & Fake back in 2002 to CPM launching Be Beautiful & DMP launching.
Have you SEEN a Be Beautiful book? ANY CPM title, for that matter. Overall, their printing standard was horrid. DMP has rescued finally the Viewfinder series (which was going for upwards of $200 for the out-of-print volumes) & most of the yaoi fangirls (which, if you've been around the anime fandom enough, you will recognize as an insult that has been used for years) I know of are re-buying DMP's release.
So yeah, we have had obscenely beautiful art ruined by bad print, censorship (Descendants of Darkness saw a rape panel changed or deleted. DMP has changed or deleted panels.) There has been bad art. There's stuff I could care less about the art, but it turns out the story is great. Hell-Saint Seiya's art is up & down in the same volume, but I love the story. I've waded thru my share of average schoolboy stories in the hope this one will be the funny type I like & the print runs have been small enough, if one doesn't pre-order, there's no guarantee one will get a copy. I pre-ordered Kurashina-Sensei-it got delayed, & finally after a couple years, the order was cancelled so I had to re-order the NEW version from DMP which, I guess was last-minute enough I saw that one cancelled as no longer available, but I managed to scrounge a copy up in the Valley. However-pre-ordering it means one doesn't know what's inside unless one resorts to scans which I don't out of principle.

What sells in France sells in France.
In the US, what sells in New York isn't necessarily what will sell in New Mexico so how the hell is what sells in France supposed to, in any way, shape or form compare to what sells in the US?

In my neck of the woods enough people speak Spanish that it pays to have spanish menus. This isn't necessarily true in Podunk Idaho. We also have an area in Kearny Mesa that has stuff printed in various Asian languages (Korean. Japanese. Probably Vietnamese). Doesn't mean a Japanese person could go to Palm Desert & find stuff printed in Japanese.
And I'm sure that by printing menus in the native languages of customers, these businesses pull in a loyal clientel grateful that business has taken the time to cater to them. They probably choose to go to those businesses rather than the "We speak English here!" types of shops.

Quote:

Is this to say that there is just a shortage of fans of yuri or are we simply outnumbered by fan girls of the genre?

THe original question
I highly suspect at least some of you that I've been debating haven't been around the fandom all that long or you'd know the sort of negative treatment yaoi has gotten from the rest of the fandom over the years. You & this questioner are not the first time I've seen "All that yaoi on the shelves" complained about & I doubt it'll be the last. I've seen uyaoi bunched in with hentai as what's wrong with anime.

My point is we have more because we support the publishers. Be Beautiful issued about a dozen titles in the 2 or 3 yrs they existed. They ran afoul of the Sam Goody bankruptcy & the Biblos bankruptcy (Biblos was THE big dog with all the most desired titles, but the guy running it was funneling the profits from Biblos into his failing computer company) Libre picked up most of the titles, but insisted (so was whispered but I've never seen actually stated) all the contracts be re-negotiated. CPM went ahead & published titles under the Biblos contract which Libre declared bootleg. Otherwise, I'm sure they'd still be publishing because they had Kizuna & Finder which are 2 huge titles.

You & most of the people I've been debating admit you are exceptions to the rule--sort of like I really like the folklore & demon stuff which makes up a small segment of yaoi. We're actually getting a bit more vampire than I like because the Japanese have strange ideas about vampires. It's not their folklore, but I understand it's the hot topic right now so I'm sure we're seeing potentially a disproportinal selection of vampire stories than may be being published in Japan.
In the same way, ALC & 7 Seas can probably publish as much yuri out of Japan as we've seen licensed in English of yaoi. (Example. I estimate 800 titles max licensed since 2002. Surely there have been 800 yuri titles printed in Japan over the years-not just since 2002. We're getting yaoi from the '90's here & there)
If the market here supported it, they'd be able to license a greater percentage of what's available in Japan than we're seeing published here percentage-wise of yaoi just as we're seeing so much vampire stuff getting snagged. The hold-up I would think is the publisher's funds. Most businesses pour a certain amount of the profits into the next titles they license. I can't imagine DMP was any larger than 7 Seas when they launched.

I bought Kuroshitsuji at Saneido because I loved the art. Can't read Japanese, but I have 5 volumes of it in Japanese & I was there at the panel at CCI when Yen announced the license. Buying the original Japanese or even the foreign language version as was suggested at the Lost in the Translation panel has always been an option. It does not detract from the potential licensing unless you don't buy the English language version. In fact, buying the original Japanese version might encourage the Japanese Publishers, but I really can't see that many foreigners could buy enough manga to impact the sales. I subscribed to about 6 Japanese zines for a bit thru Sanseido so that's even an option, but again, I can't imagine the foreign subscriptions can amount to all that much.
But I don't doubt if 7 Seas saw the support DMP gets, it would be as large as DMP is now & there would be more yuri in the US even if tghey had to license every title written.
Hell, you do know DMP commissioned at least one title. If there were sales, ALC or 7 Seas could probably get some stuff made for the US audience if there weren't enough to license. The authors don't seem to mind who writes the check as long as it's valid.
There isn't enough yuri in Japan isn't a valid whine
And if you understand you are an exception-a niche of a nich of the anime niche, then you might expect to have to take more extreme measures such as self-importing or forming a group to import & publish stuff yourselves. You don't even exactly match the original question fan profile by your admission.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
zgripţuroicǎ -
Do you support ALC Publishing?
http://www.yuricon.org/alc.html
Quote:
AniLesboCon (ALC) Publishing, the publishing arm of Yuricon, was founded in 2003 to create and disseminate high quality Yuri (Lesbian or Girl's Love) comics to the worldwide English-speaking audience.

I just thought I should note that when I search on Amazon, I get less than 10 results for fiction/comics under that publisher. The ones available are either out-of-print or by Western authors, including some contributors to the anthologies. The single-volume stuff is usually less than 100 pages. Their one apparently-yearly anthology that seems to be continuing was last published in March 2009. Other than that, it appears they are publishing nothing else.

The shop on that site is a conglomerate of much more than just GL/yuri. It lists books from several publishers, and includes titles such as Ghost in the Shell and Azumanga Daioh.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I posted the link in a prior post in this thread to TRSI's listing for ALC. They may be gone. It's been rough. We lost Deux, Net seems to have vanished, & Go has gone into hibernation. Drama Queen seems like it might be resurfacing, but we'll see. I've ordered everything they're offering that I didn't already have on order from years ago. They are allegedly a fan group that started publishing & announced a pile of titles, but never managed to get very much out. Their books were usually thinner than the other companies, but usually had color & slipcovers. I like the industry stuff (comic artist stories) & I believe Mandayuu is the one I've been waiting for the most (& Naked Jewels which is still in limbo)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_themes_in_comics
There might be some links here to options also.
As I said, at CCI every year there are several panels noted of interest to the LBGT community-gays in comics, gays & super-heroines are 2 I can recall (outside the mixer) from perusing the programing list in search of stuff I wanted to attend. There has to be someone printing what you're looking for because I can't believe the lesbian community would in general go for the yuri by guys for guys stuff.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
gingi789 wrote:
I saw that "I lost the game" thing at AX, too. What is that?
I have no idea.

It's a f***ing stupid excuse to bellow out loud in a public gathering. Next question.
takimaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't go much into the manga scene, though I do watch alot of anime, i don't care of the subject matter, i watch both yuri & yoai content mainly for artistic merit and entertainment value, if it has sex it's a bonus, I find alot of the boy/girl relationship genre doesn't go into content as much for the simple fact it dead pans itself so far then dies with nothing ever happening...

the reason why you don't see more yuri and yoai anime and manga, due to the moral and religious out cry which can land you in jail in the states..

just look at the restricted publications that are banned in the states for suggestive content due to religious and moral convictions that have been converted into a law statute due to some religious nutter getting a bill passed in the congress...

until you the US divides state from religion this will keep certain content from being made available to the general public, yes there is a market for yuri & yoai , though when what you buy lands you in jail and then court house you're limited on sales because of it..

don't get me wrong venues have the right to hold a multiple conventions for different things on the same day, though i find when you 2 or more conventions that disagree on the subject matter shit will always hit the fans and generally doesn't end well...

1 day i would like to goto a con in the US though i suspect i will never attain that option..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9