• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Replaces Kanokon 2/3 DVDs with Box Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote
Finally! Hopefully this means the end of MB singles.

LBoogie wrote:
Yeah, same boat here. Sorta wanted to check this show out, cause it sounded like a decent time. Glad to hear it's going to be reasonably priced. Though at 15 bucks a DVD for each volume, at 3 volumes should be around 45 for all 3 DVD's. I wonder if this'll be priced in the 30-40 dollar range then?

Either way, I'm happy with it. Though, I too have this feeling that they'll do the same with Queens Blade. Oh well, it'll probably be cheaper in the long run it seems.

Yeah all of MB's thinpak boxsets have been very cheap (some people complain about the packaging, but I personally love the very slim, minimal box since it significantly saves shelf space). Most are $20 - $30 if you look around. I bought Moribito for $25, already an amazing value, but you can get it for $16 now.

Upcoming Queen's Blade BD box is one of the few that's over $30, listed for $37 @ amazon.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Also, how does one not "punish" someone who just wasted their money on a DVD that is now a coaster, frisbee, or landfill occupant?
Quoted for truth and I'll give you a HELL YES too.

This news isn't exactly good but I suppose it beats outright cancelation. Of course, now I have to ask the question for those of us who prefer or anime with an English dub: was the whole series' English dub already recorded or will the rest of the episodes be sub-only? (Yes, the dub has issues but frak it all, I still prefer sub-par dub to sub-only!)

It wouldn't be the first time a series went from singles to a box set with episodes starting with a dual-audio and ending sub-only.

This also places the OVAs in serious question. Sirabella had been talking about trying to get them.

I'm very disappointed for a number of additional reasons as well but hell, life sucks and then you die, so there's really no use getting too worked up.
blaster
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately we are kind of caught in a catch 22...let me explain...

1) To really make any profit we need to first release singles and than a boxset...so far it seems QB is fine in this regard.

2) If you go straight to a boxset, you can make money but probably no dub can be included. The stores say after the first volume if not enough activity forget it till the boxset.

Now what do we do? We already started the dub...so the only answer if the show is short enough is go straight to boxset in these cases. I know it is bad but in the end the price you will pay for the boxset even if you bought volume 1 is much cheaper...we actually make it cheaper for the reason...

If you guys got better ideas that I can make work...willing to hear.

Also there is an announcement coming out soon for US that will make us pretty much a boxset place...that is for another time.

-js
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Again, NEVER BUY SINGLES. No anime is worth buying singles for. None.

Really?
I love my Demon Prince Enma which was never released as a box so far as I know.
There's my Super Robot Wars which also never made box set, did it? (And it looks like a couple others here wish they'd gone for it. It is a FUN series)
Did Geneon ever release that box of Gunlock? I know it was cancelled, but it really doesn't matter because those wonderful pencilboards they gave us with the single dvds on Gunlock & Reload are priceless as far as I'm concerned. Same for Tenjyo Tenge's pencilboards.

I've always liked MB.They bring us yaoi & they often give us all sorts of Japanese extras. They also often get the overlooked older titles. Waiting patiently for Sayanora Setsubo Sensei & about half a dozen yaoi manga I've pre-ordered.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Good. This is exactly what should have happened to this show.

And a Bang Zoom dub, cripes, Odex is too good for this swill.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

And the purpose of this comment........???? Rolling Eyes
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
What a mess.
Serves Media Blasters right though for thinking they can still get away by selling high priced singles when everyone else is doing cheap season/half-season boxsets.
Also wonder if they will include the tokutens with this boxset since Vol 1 didn't have any since apparently they didn't bother to license them. lol

and why are singles bad???? I love singles, I own all nine singles to love hina, which include the spring and x-mas OVAs, along with love hina again, funimation crammed the original series in to 4 discs, cut out all the extras, and the audio quality was horrible, but yet you would rather buy that?????

complete boxsets mean less. no real extras, except trailers to more shows they want you to buy.

but that is my opinion Twisted Evil
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
blaster wrote:
Unfortunately we are kind of caught in a catch 22...let me explain...

1) To really make any profit we need to first release singles and than a boxset...so far it seems QB is fine in this regard.

2) If you go straight to a boxset, you can make money but probably no dub can be included. The stores say after the first volume if not enough activity forget it till the boxset.

Now what do we do? We already started the dub...so the only answer if the show is short enough is go straight to boxset in these cases. I know it is bad but in the end the price you will pay for the boxset even if you bought volume 1 is much cheaper...we actually make it cheaper for the reason...

If you guys got better ideas that I can make work...willing to hear.

Also there is an announcement coming out soon for US that will make us pretty much a boxset place...that is for another time.

-js

Hello John, I'm pleased to see that your moving into boxset collections like Sentai/ADV started in 2009.

Also, it probably is a better idea if MB wouldn't contract people to dub Niche titles like "Kanokon", released them sub only like Section23 does. I respect you MB, but you need to make better investment decisions and dubbing Kanokon wasn't one of them.

BTW, I have one question: Are you still considering moving your HQ an hour away from Manhattan across the bay closer to the NJ Turnpike? Have you found any offices in Newark availble for leasing?How about East Rutherford near Giants stadium?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Now if only they would announce a release date for Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei.

Though I guess brilliant dark comedy/sarcasm/social commentary doesn't sell as much as banal and brainless boob shows.

Of course not, it's like with Genshiken, despite being realistic depiction of college students that enjoy anime and the power of anime bringing others together in a peaceful, friendly matter, this show still won't sell as well as series that basically only has fanservice and more fanservice.

Sad really, but that is why I don't really care much for Media Blasters. They have licensed very few intelligent shows or at least shows that didn't have much fan service (yes, too much service can considered fan service disservice, look it up.)

Oh well, maybe some day Media Blasters will license something more intelligent (or at least something that has a plot and isn't all about moe or fanservice) and when that day comes, I'll probably might buy it. It's not that I dislike Media Blasters, I just wish intelligent series sold better than the fan service ramble.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Oh well, maybe some day Media Blasters will license something more intelligent (or at least something that has a plot and isn't all about moe or fanservice) and when that day comes, I'll probably might buy it. It's not that I dislike Media Blasters, I just wish intelligent series sold better than the fan service ramble.

That day is here, and has been for awhile. You need to buy...

-Moribito- the best female lead in an anime in ages, and she's even 29 without being treated like the "old" person in the cast. It's from Production IG, of GITShell fame [they also released Otogi Zoshi, which I've yet to see, though I've heard is also excellent] http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/=zttIMNuecT=ZfmxhJ/browse/item/88951/4/0/0 It's novels have also been released by Scholastic in English

-Phoenix- Osamu Tezuka's masterpiece, coproduced by PBS.
It has everything you could ever want in an intelligent anime, and the boxset is 20 bucks Smile

-Gokusen- a teacher who's secretly part of the Yakuza takes on a class of rowdy young deliquents with nothing but pigtails, a red jumpsuit and one heck of an attitude. Boxset- 20 bucks Smile This seems to be a much overlooked hit in the anime world considering how many times MB has repackaged it.

- Giant Robo- an OVA classic, reimagining the 60's manga and other works from it's creator as an epic series that took over 7 years to animated. Well worth it, plus 2 dubs and the extra OVA's Smile Boxset- 20 bucks [notice a pattern?]

-Here is Greenwood- an OVA based on the strange shojo manga classic about a boy whose horrible luck leads him to become part of the strange Greenwood dormitory at his private school. Insanely made simultaneously while the director was making Ocean Waves for Ghibli.

-Tweeny Witches- a strange, wonderous TV series from Studio 4C, makers of all kinds of strange, wonderous anime. Each episode contains wonderful animation touches, and it harkens back to classic magical girl shows while mixing in great bits of scifi and fantasy, and fantastic bits of world building.http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/l6OugJ1sBwcIgOW74z/browse/item/81545/4/0/0 YOU NEED IT Smile

Simoun- http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/X41iOTQpfJB6ZKxKRC/browse/item/83218/4/0/0 This show isn't really what the candy coloured designs would lead you to believe. Instead, it's a startlingly dramatic tale of wartime lives, a scifi examination of gender, and in some ways a nod to Takarazuka

Twelve Kingdoms- an absorbing adaptatian of the novel series, which is different take on the "girl swept to magical world" genre, with stark takes on war, societal roles and a really badass heroine. Tokyopop's translated the novels [one of the more successful in their novel line]
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/O53MQEkxXn6unSo8VE/browse/item/83217/4/0/0

Berserk- http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/O53MQEkxXn6unSo8VE/browse/item/81547/4/0/0 A dark fantasy about a swordsman who is betrayed by a friend in a horrific way, the woman stuck between them, and the consequences of their choices. The manga is being released by Dark Horse.

Rayearth- recently remastered [in a rather shiny boxset I need to get 0_o!!!], that first season is a classic, as CLAMP takes the trappings of Nakayoshi girl's manga, adds in some giant robots, and an ending and cast you won't forget. http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/s6DYCKNks3wUBxHMU9/browse/item/84407/4/0/0 Dark Horse is reissuing the manga in super fancy omnibuses btw

IRIA- Dang, this is a fun OVA series. A horrible b-movie in live action makes a fascinating tale in animation, and the Zeriam monster is one of the scariest things ever.

There's also a lot of pleasant, junky OVA's/shows in their catalogue that are very entertaining that avoid the traps of Moe or Fanservice.

Magic Users Club is just plain strange yet cute, with a fun ensemble cast, Ruroni Kenshin is a very involving ShonenJump show that is short enough to collect and very quickly paced, Shinesman is a hilarious take on the Sentai genre with a great sarcastic dub, Tekkaman Blade/Teknoman is a great 90's remake of a 70's classic with a great story, Magical Witch Punie-Chan is a subversive parody of classic magical girl shows [and susprisingly low on fanservice- it mostly just focuses on disturbing you with stuff like suicidal vegatables, Punie's Mom casually talking about killing off Minky Momo, or the way the series manages to adhere to the forumula quite strictly, as Punie makes all her enemies into friends 0_o Whether they want to or not]. They also have Jungle Emperor Leo, Blame and Blade of the Immortal, which I haven't seen but heard good things about [I've read Blade's manga, and it's very fantastic- even if the show is horribly animated from what I've heard, it'd still be worth watching]

And Elf Princess Rane proudly makes no sense whatsoever.

PS---- keep an eye on their new twitter account- they've alreayd confirmed that Zetsubou sensei is on the way, and apparently the delay in Lodoss Wars's case is that they're trying to track down better materials since they want to release the OVA on bluray.

PPS== Given that they've said on twitter that the Kanokon boxset will be out in March, and they recently moved releases for Voltron and Queen's Blade back to December instead of Jan, I'm guessing we might see Zetsubou in either Jan or Feb.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

A faith resorted that bad shows that get over expensive treatments to them end up in a business doing poorly.

To wit, Bad things happening to those who deserve it.

mudduck454 wrote:
and why are singles bad???? I love singles, I own all nine singles to love hina, which include the spring and x-mas OVAs, along with love hina again, funimation crammed the original series in to 4 discs, cut out all the extras, and the audio quality was horrible, but yet you would rather buy that?????

complete boxsets mean less. no real extras, except trailers to more shows they want you to buy.

but that is my opinion Twisted Evil
And you'd be right. back in 2003.

But it is now the year 2010 and releasing singles (Outwith of OVA releases because god knows when Gundam Unicorn is going to actauly end) is asking for it in a way that makes Jhony Knoxvile look quaint.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Again, NEVER BUY SINGLES. No anime is worth buying singles for. None.

Really?
I love my Demon Prince Enma which was never released as a box so far as I know.
There's my Super Robot Wars which also never made box set, did it? (And it looks like a couple others here wish they'd gone for it. It is a FUN series)
Did Geneon ever release that box of Gunlock? I know it was cancelled, but it really doesn't matter because those wonderful pencilboards they gave us with the single dvds on Gunlock & Reload are priceless as far as I'm concerned. Same for Tenjyo Tenge's pencilboards.

I've always liked MB.They bring us yaoi & they often give us all sorts of Japanese extras. They also often get the overlooked older titles. Waiting patiently for Sayanora Setsubo Sensei & about half a dozen yaoi manga I've pre-ordered.

Holy shit. Another person that owns SRWOG. High five.

I'd take singles over a stripped full collection any day.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
njprogfan wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

A faith resorted that bad shows that get over expensive treatments to them end up in a business doing poorly.

People need to get off their high horses. There are many, including myself, who enjoy a show like Kanokon, if those type of shows are not your thing then not buying them is your statement. Comments like you made don't do anyone a service.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
Good point njprogfan- I doubt I'll be buying Kanokon anytime soon, but Media Blastes makes tons of shows *I do like*, and tons of shows other people will enjoy even if I might not, so throwing rage upon for putting out a show not to your tastes is kind of pointless.
The more anime distributors out there, the better for everyone, as it keeps things nice and diverse. All the fans happily buying those shows help keep everything afloat and help the shows I do want make it here, so getting mad about them releasing a show a lot of people like but I'm not super excited for is pointless.

Also, while boxsets are convienent, I'll take a show however I can get it [Gunbuster 2 singles were quite worth it Smile], and to be fair, MB had generally made their singles very affordable, most around $20 [so a complete series subbed or dubbed would cost $60 for 13 eps or $100 for 26 eps with most of their releases, around the same as Funimations 13 ep boxsets work out to].

They did singles because singles worked for them up until their most recent shows, which is why they're switching to boxsets, as retailers are shrinking anime space, and those fit in better. I imagine though, that they'll do singles again where appropriate- Bandai's doing singles for K-On, Funimation's pretty much doing singles for Hetalia. If a show's big enough to merit a prolonged release with lots of fancy extras and packins, I imagine they'll give it a try.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
njprogfan wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

People need to get off their high horses. There are many, including myself, who enjoy a show like Kanokon, if those type of shows are not your thing then not buying them is your statement. Comments like you made don't do anyone a service.
I'm off my high horse, it's Media Blasters who's kneeling down so much to pick up the night soil that is produced from the losest of the anime industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3