• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: Theron and Carl's Best (and Most Notable) of 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
My first post of the new year.[/irrelevance]

I'm glad Holo was picked as Character of the the Year as I completely agree. I'm still very glad Theron's review destroyed my "book judging" of the cover featuring her given I'd never had touched the series otherwise. Theron, make sure you get your recommendation bonus from FUNimation leading to a sale.
Wink

I also got a kick out of Carl's Complete Bastard of the Year. I couldn't agree more with this one. Too bad it wasn't unanimous.

Now I've a question for both Carl and Theron: Why wasn't FUNimation's introduction to (co)producing anime considered for the Most Important Event/Trend?
Although I could see it under Carl's "Greater risk taking" label, it wasn't mentioned at all.

As a producer, this could help FUNimation break into many other elements of anime, including merchandising, and could be very huge in terms of helping offset the shrinking DVD market.
I wonder if we'll see FUNimation stamped on figures in the future?

It's hard to accept ADV's breakup as a huge event as it was based on necessity, rather than expansion, just as their series offerings of late.

Just curious, meow.
loka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
How in hell did some of those anime make it on the short lists while you were considering OAVs (Kara no Kyoukai)? Valkyria Chronicles over Time of Eve? Really?

Tokyo Magnitude has well-known continuity errors, and yet it is selected as a "gem" among many other more worthy titles?

Hopefully our anime distributors will have higher standards.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
and I don't want to throw more negativity into this thread...yet.

... A few lines later:

Agent355 wrote:
Now on with the negative:

Did I miss anything?

So basically, you dislike mecha that much, and that's perfectly fine, of course. I also dislike shows like Nana; shows aimed at melodramatic teenagers.

Agent355 wrote:
Another show I want to mention is Monster. I don't understand what is so "realistic" or morally compelling about it in most fans' and reviewers' opinions. On the realism side are the shear amount of conspiricies and near misses with authority one is expected to believe throughout the 18 volumes of manga.

The thing is... you're in the wrong place to mention the manga. This is about animation, yes, moving images. The so "realistic" thing about Monster is that it doesn't involve superpowers, isn't that enough to be able to call it realistic? If not, please tell us what reality is.

Agent355 wrote:
The moral side is the most frusterating aspect of the story for me. If someone threatens you or other innocents with bodily harm and you kill that person, it is not murder in the eyes of the law, but self defense. I'm not a proponent of real-life vigilantism, but if one *chooses* to chase after a serial killer, one must accept that they may put themselves and others in a situation when such an action may be necessary. I'd sympathize more with his moral quandry were he a monk or a child, but he looked and acted like a soldier (or an army surgeon) who refused to follow orders. Which is just dangerous and stupid, imho.

So you do understand the German's justice system from 30 years ago better than the creators, and perhaps law is as pure and clear as a crystal ball and there definitely isn't any kind of unfair judgements. And no, Tenma is a fascinating character. Nana's characters are one thousand miles away from Monster's character creativity.
Apple.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
How in hell did some of those anime make it on the short lists while you were considering OAVs (Kara no Kyoukai)? Valkyria Chronicles over Time of Eve? Really?

Tokyo Magnitude has well-known continuity errors, and yet it is selected as a "gem" among many other more worthy titles?

Hopefully our anime distributors will have higher standards.

Kara no Kyoukai is a series of theatrical releases, but yes, I agree on Valkyria Chronicles being a very weak show. Typical of an anime adaptation for a game though.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 when I heard about the series I thought it had immense potential to be an epic. Dare I say as epic as something from Irwin Allen or Roland Emmerich (you do got to admit, they do know how to make epic disaster scenes, like or hate their films). But wow the execution turned out so mediocre on every level. The animation was good I guess but something tells me the art direction was horrendously off with just how much destruction should be. The writing was equally weak, they tried way to hard to make the characters be more realistic that they overdid it and need I mention the obvious symbolism in the names? Frankly TM8 doesn't deserve a gem award, but of course it's BONES; the studio of the gods that can do no wrong in the eyes of it's fans.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

So basically, you dislike mecha that much, and that's perfectly fine, of course. I also dislike shows like Nana; shows aimed at melodramatic teenagers.

Nana? Aimed at melodramatic teenagers? That show seemed to be aimed more at the early to mid-twenties set, not highschoolers. As for melodrama, that's not exactly a fair assessment of the show - yes, it's a drama, but it's one that is very heartfelt, with characters who interact with each other in a fairly realistic way, without going ridiculously over the top. Nana gives me the warm and fuzzies inside.
By all means, dislike Nana if you want, but you are selling it short by describing it as something for melodramatic teenagers.
Delpheno

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I was browsing through the list again...

HOW CAN BACCANO NOT BE CONSIDERED BEST OPENER?! Was it because it didn't have lyrics?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Delpheno wrote:
I was browsing through the list again...

HOW CAN BACCANO NOT BE CONSIDERED BEST OPENER?! Was it because it didn't have lyrics?

Good point. Baccano! had a fantastic opener, plain and simple. I didn't like the show very much, but I still rated it as Excellent because it was just so superbly put together. The opener is a great example of the show's undeniable technical quality, and I do think it was slightly robbed in that category.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
@egoist:
1. Nope, you didn't miss anything. I started with positive statements, then moved onto negative ones. Those few lines were the border, thus my use of the word "yet." Can't double post, y'know.

2. Nana is more josei than shojo, more Sex and the City than Gossip Girl, more...well, you get the idea. Just because it's aimed at females does not mean it is juvenile or melodramatic. Or "what Quark said."

3. I mentioned the manga because the series was mentioned as having the most anal adaptation to its manga source. So, even though I haven't seen much of the anime, I assume that the plot and characters haven't changed much in the adaptation process.

4. Okay, your criticism is very apt here. True, I just mentioned that I couldn't suspend my disbelief properly for Code Geass, which belies my lack of appreciation for mecha. (To be fair, I did mention that my problems with CG also stemmed from what I perceived as pro-war ubernationalism, as well as an abundance of cliches). I want to make it clear that I really enjoy stories with what I call "fantastical elements"-science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, etc.

As for Monster's realism, to be fair, I probably read it too fast to absorb Urasawa's intent. It was originally a slow-burning thriller, developed over many years of serialization, during which each plot twist was fresh and interesting. As read in a marathon over a couple weeks, the plot turns seemed contrived and the emotional moments manipulative. I have a lot of respect for Urasawa as a mangaka. I loved Pluto and am currently enjoying 20th Century Boys. I wish I had enjoyed Monster more.

As for my frusteration with Tenma's moral stance, I never quite understood what his objective was-or rather if he was clear on his own objective. Maybe I misunderstood some of the details of the story and his struggle in my haste in finishing the manga.

Comparing the characters in Monster to those in Nana- both works are filled with complex, well-written characters. But one is a seinen thriller, the other a josei drama. Apples, oranges.

What did you mean by "Apple" at the end of your post? (I'm genuinely curious).

Edit-for typo; clarification
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Valkyria Chronicles over Time of Eve? Really?

Time of Eve got streamed on CR a while back, so that's why it's not on the list.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
By all means, dislike Nana if you want, but you are selling it short by describing it as something for melodramatic teenagers.

I thought a few things were unfairly said about Code Geass; such as blaming it for having mecha... and that's like the heart of the show, so that's where you get "melodramatic teenagers" because it felt as if I was told Code Geass was a no-brainer show, made for stupid people. I won't hide or lie, since that's not really what I think about Nana, but as long as they get the message and know how it feels like to go around flaming other anime.

Agent355 wrote:
What did you mean by "Apple" at the end of your post? (I'm genuinely curious).

That was an experiment! A failed experiment, since one of them even caused a mod to appear out of nowhere.
Strawberry trifle.
Master_of_You

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I cannot believe that Monster was only noted in "Best of the Rest" and "Notable Characters". I saw Monster when it first came out and I was blown away by this epic that has the most compelling plot, impeccable pacing and a great post Cold War setting that, although verges on the supernatural maintains a realistic feeling and mood. This anime also has the most in-story development out of any anime I have seen in the past: Every episode, matters, each character develops believably and there are no completely incompetent characters or forced obstacles. Every thing progresses smoothly and comfortably through this amazing psychological thriller. My only criticism would be that even though they move through several European countries, everyone acts as if they were living in a Japanese society, especially in the beginning.
Xagor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
loka wrote:
Valkyria Chronicles over Time of Eve? Really?

Time of Eve got streamed on CR a while back, so that's why it's not on the list.

I had assumed Time of Eve had been excluded due to only half of it actually being shown in 2009. Personally I'd rather have the hour of it that did air in 2009 over most other anime, but that's a personal bias.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8