• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Sentai in Talks Over Former Bandai Entertainment Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Ahiru wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Meh. I can't think of any title that Sunrise had Bandai distribute that makes this any big deal to me. Anyone got a proper Sunrise/Bandai list?

ShanaFan852 wrote:

Quote:
Ozaki noted that Sunrise will release some of its series through distributors such as these.

Unless it's one of these shows in the bottom of this post, it's not included in this.
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?21959-Sunrise-in-talks-with-FUNimation-amp-Sentai-Filmworks-over-distribution-on-former-Bandai-Ent-titles&p=183273&viewfull=1#post183273

Smile
Cheers for that!, however having looked that list over there is very few I haven't already seen and a few I couldn't care if I ever see, so still meh.
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The American Average wrote:

the English voice of Paptimus Scirocco is still much better the His Japanese counterpart.

Stopped reading here. Opinions invalidated. Evil or Very Mad If Bin Shimada was any more awesome, he'd be Norio Wakamoto. the Zeta dub was an abomination. It butchered my favorite mecha anime. One of several flaws in Bandai's NA release.

Bin Shimada is a great voice actor one of the best IMO but the English guy did better in parts especially in the Final fight Zeta vs The O. in the Zeta Series. now in the New Translation tough to say (English series Paptimus VS New Translation Paptimus. voices)
just for fun --->spoiler[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rTrIiZQyyE&list=FLmBPKfK0pUgENLD-o4RKrJw&index=87]
Now I guess we can agree to not agree with the Zeta dub.

penguintruth wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Funimation has screwed up far too many releases over the years to easily trust them with anything
This isn't 1999. Funimation usually does quite well these days.

I do agree with you there Funimation is very good dubbing company. I just wish they'd change up their Voice actors type-casts every once and awhile. Eventhough I don't think there's been a dub by funi that was Horrible recently
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
You're basing it all on one scene?

Not even the entire scene, mind you. A snippet of the scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You're basing it all on one scene? Not even the entire scene, mind you. A snippet of the scene.

what? no of course not I thought on a whole the English guy was better even more so in the final battle, sue me Razz. now about the "5 deaths of Paptimus" video, I just posted that for fun. Personally comparing Bin Shimada Paptimus from 1986 to Jonathan Love's Paptimus from what early 2000's isn't very fair to compare with.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Without a doubt this is very exciting news. Bandai had a lot of great titles, so it should be very interesting to see which company goes after which title. The one I’ll be keeping tabs on the most though is Gundam. I think FUNI would be the best fit for Gundam overall, because they have a lot of experience in handling big franchises like Dragonball.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:
So if FUNimation grabs any Bandai titles, do they also get to keep the dubs that were done a long time ago with them? Or does FUNimation need to redub the series? For instance, Zeta Gundam had an English dub that was not too well received. In my opinion, it's alright, but the boxsets to get that dub is like hundreds of dollars. It would be cool if FUNi re-released them.

I highly doubt that Funimation would re-dub any of the titles it would get from Bandai. First off, it would be costly to even do that, and it’s not smart marketing when most of the titles already have fine dubs. Plus when a title is licensed recused, the dub comes along with it as part of the property. It wouldn't make sense for Funimation to waste money on re-dubbing when most of the shows have an established dub and sound.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, there's very little reason to re-dub a saved property that was already dubbed while it was first released. In fact, it can be damaging, because people who liked the existing dub (even if it's kind of crappy) will be annoyed and feel betrayed. I mean, unless the dub is truly heinous and already unpopular, there's little to no incentive for Funimation to re-dub anything they rescue. My guess is one of the reasons they license rescue a property is likely because the dub is already done for them. Why spend a lot of money and time to produce an entirely new English version for a show that's already got one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:30 am Reply with quote
There a couple instances in which a company may redub something. First of all, though unlikely in this situation, you may run into situation where the original audio track isn't good enough for lossless HD audio on bluray. Grave of the Fireflies was redubbed for this reason, though the blurays and DVDs included both dubs. The original was just limited to standard DTS.

It's also possible that Funimation or Sentai could redud something to maintain continuity with future seasons or releases. Appleseed and Initial D spring to mind. However, this is also fairly unlikely and rare, especially in Sentai's case where they have no issues outsourcing dubs for continuity.

Finally, and also very unlikely, is the possibility that the English audio was lost. Considering that the tracks were owned by a division of the Jaoanese company, this is extremely unlikely. There's also almost no chance that the English dub is owned by someone other than Sunrise, so there should be no issues obtaining them.

Regardless, these are all very unlikely in this situation, so I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the shows are new enough that the audio tracks should be of decent quality and readily available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8