• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Your lie in April

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
On Episode 11:

I didn't have the problem with the shift to slapstick mode that Rose did. (And I didn't actually notice that he had bruises on his face in the scene where he was passed out next to the piano when Hiroko found him.) So I guess my grade being about 1 letter grade up from hers (A-) may be a result of that.

A couple of comments about specific parts of the review:
Rose_Bridges wrote:
It seems a bit off from everything that's been established about him that he wouldn't be fazed at all by his failure in the competition, though

I thought the running and screaming on the path next to the train made it pretty clear that he wasn't entirely OK with it. He held up pretty well in front of the other pianists and he really, in his heart, didn't care at the end of the performance. (He only cared about whether his music reached his chosen audience.) But he realized that it still burns, just like Watari and Tsubaki's losses in sports.

Rose_Bridges wrote:
I already really like Hiroko. Kosei's childhood piano teacher introduces the possibility for a more positive authority figure in his life, someone who can look after him now that his mom is gone but who understands him far better. She's more easygoing and understanding (supportive even of his goal to be a "really weird pianist"), to a degree where I have to wonder if she knew anything about how his mom was pushing Kosei too far.

One quibble: I don't believe she was ever his childhood piano teacher. She was a friend of his mother's and she discovered that Kosei has a natural talent for the piano, being able to play things by ear without ever having been taught at a very young age. This is a point that may not be totally clear but has been shown. (I am sure it will probably be elaborated on in more detail later on. From what I remember of the manga, at least.) spoiler[The flashback scenes showed her holding the baby Kosei with his mother telling Hiroko that she didn't want him to be a pianist because of how hard that life is, then later sitting a the piano and Kosei playing something without being taught and Hiroko telling his mom that Kosei is a genius and she must teach him to play. Then it shifts to the bad times and Kosei cowering after he lost the ability to hear the music and Hiroko trying to comfort him. It is clear that she feels guilty for the pain Kosei was put through and for what it did to the mother/son relationship.]

All in all, I really liked this episode and can't wait for the next... But I feel like that every week.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I have very high hopes for Hiroko. A sensitive, supportive adult is exactly what Kosei needs. Not pushy, emotionally manipulative friends who are too young to understand him. Certainly not "rivals" who see him as a threat after a two years absence and a public screw up! Their view of him was so selfish it burned me. It's like when people find out that someone has an eating disorder and *still* act jealous of her/his "perfect figure" and compliment their thinness. They suspect that Kosei was abused, know he's had trouble playing the last two years, and still have the nerve to openly rebuke his poor performance? It's not about you, you idiots! It's *never* been about you! Shut up!

Back to Hiroko, I've never read the manga but I thought ep 11 made it very clear that she encouraged Kosei's mom to teach him piano in the first place, and feels about about how she subsequently turned into a tiger mom. The ep didn't make it clear why Kosei's mother would change so drastically from not wanting to burden her precious baby to abusing him and expecting perfection, but it's a phenomenon that happens often in real life: parents who find it much harder to raise their kids after infancy; parents who revert to the abusive methods their own parents used, etc. Abuse is a sad cycle, and people who have high hopes when their children are born often disintegrate as they grow older and more challenging to raise unless they have a thorough understanding of their impulses and a solid plan to combat them and replace them with healthier forms of discipline.

So I really hope Hiroko becomes the mentor Kosei needs to grow into his own as a piano player and the mother figure he needs to learn to be at peace with himself.

Not looking forward to Kaori's problems coming to a fore, anime in general is awful with terminal illness melodrama.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Instead, Your Lie in April zeroes in on the personal melodramas of a small group of high school students.

Psst, they're in middle school.

Loved the conversation between Kousei and Hiroko.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 review wrote:
I'm sure it has to do with Kaori's illness, and I hope this second half of Your Lie in April explores that issue and Kaori's character further. If we're going to have more melodrama, we need a fresh coat of paint on it.

Yes I have spent enough time at the bottom of the ocean thank you.

And also I could do without any more last minute crises before a concert performance. The story really does not need this.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who felt sick from Hiroko's conversation with Kosei? It felt as if the show was trying to justify Kosei's mom's violence and abuse because "she wanted him to grow up on his own". The moment when he stands up against his mom and tells her she should die was a very powerful moment because you see how desperate and cornered this child feels due to the abuse he is victim of. It's a negative emotional climax for Kosei and the viewer. The show's new cour cheapened that by making it a moment of "growth", turning it into something possitive. I mean, what? Someone needs to tell this kid that he shouldn't feel guilty for screaming at his ABUSING MOTHER, not because she was happy about him growing up, but because she was a terrible mother who tried to project her failure into her son and reveled in his success as if it were her own. That whole scene felt so wrong it's made me question whether I actually want to keep watching.

There's also de opening sequence with Kaori hitting Kosei with a bottle for playing badly, and seriously this show needs to cut the violent slapstick back because Kaori now seems to be doing exactly what Kosei's mother did, hurt him because he's not playing the way she wants him to, that's just bloody awful.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
^ I think the next episode will justify why she did so. Just wait and see
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I think the fact that the show justifies it is precisely what makes it so unpleasant.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Fair warning: I don't think there will be a whole lot of happy from this point forward... Be prepared!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Fair warning: I don't think there will be a whole lot of happy from this point forward... Be prepared!

I'm not clear I have seen much happy from this point backward.

Kaori deserves so much better but ... s happens.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:02 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
zensunni wrote:

Huh? He deserves much better? I don't see your thinking what so ever.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
I finished episode 12 and did not see Kaori turn up, so why is that in the review?
HaruhiToy wrote:
zensunni wrote:

Huh? He deserves much better? I don't see your thinking what so ever.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I finished episode 12 and did not see Kaori turn up, so why is that in the review?

Because the new episode this week was episode 13.
Herron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Am I the only one who felt sick from Hiroko's conversation with Kosei? It felt as if the show was trying to justify Kosei's mom's violence and abuse because "she wanted him to grow up on his own". The moment when he stands up against his mom and tells her she should die was a very powerful moment because you see how desperate and cornered this child feels due to the abuse he is victim of. It's a negative emotional climax for Kosei and the viewer. The show's new cour cheapened that by making it a moment of "growth", turning it into something possitive. I mean, what? Someone needs to tell this kid that he shouldn't feel guilty for screaming at his ABUSING MOTHER, not because she was happy about him growing up, but because she was a terrible mother who tried to project her failure into her son and reveled in his success as if it were her own. That whole scene felt so wrong it's made me question whether I actually want to keep watching.

There's also de opening sequence with Kaori hitting Kosei with a bottle for playing badly, and seriously this show needs to cut the violent slapstick back because Kaori now seems to be doing exactly what Kosei's mother did, hurt him because he's not playing the way she wants him to, that's just bloody awful.

This is exactly how I felt. It truly made me sick and angry. Suddenly his mom is supposed to have sympathy for beating her son? No. I've seen the effects of abuse with someone in my life currently and the damage to them is not going to be bandaided by your parents are human. Not to mention suffering abuse myself from another person. I've been learning a lot about abusive personalities lately and it's dangerous to lead the abused to think the abuser was some how justified in their actions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
13- This episode was one of the best things I've seen in awhile. The way the music was synchronized to the visual direction during Kousei's performance was one of the most evocative uses of a piece of music that I think I've ever seen in an anime. Absolutely incredible episode.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode made me angry. "Oh, I want what's good for my son, so even though I'm abusing him, and I KNOW I'm abusing him, it's for his own good". And then everyone cried... BULLSHIT. Her admitting she'd gone way too far made me hate that bitch even MORE. There is no justification for abuse. EVER!!!! The fact that they actually try and get me to feel sorry for Saki disgusted me.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12