• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Thing between Kagura and Yuki spoiler[that really stuck out there was when Kyo told Kagura his true feelings about her, in which she ended up confessing that she did love him. Yuki saw her the day after and looking at her face and the way she was talking and all, something had gone under that day, and he just expressed his concern.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, Yuki is definitely an interesting character. I must say that I do agree with you aya_honda and did not really care for him that much in the manga, although that has changed recently and I find myself looking forward to more chapters with the student council-though that might be because of Kakeru, not Yuki. Laughing

Tohru: spoiler[Fighterholic, I definitely agree with you and thought that the manga was headed in the direction of a Yuki and Tohru relationship, which I didn't want. I was really relieved when he realized his feelings for Tohru were just as a mother figure, but at the same time, it seemed to make sense to me. After he was talking to Kakeru and told him that he tried to be romantic towards Tohru and do things that he thought boys should do for girls that they like, but then realized that it was all wrong and he didn't really feel that way. After this volume I reread the series and there were some moments between Yuki and Tohru that I thought reflected that. Yuki would call Tohru "cute" and "pretty" whenever she got dressed up and I remember when he gave her those ribbons and called her a princess. To me, after finding out about how Yuki really felt, those scenes did feel almost forced or ingenuine. Not that Yuki knew at the time, but the atmosphere and feeling that you get in those moments between Yuki and Tohru don't come close to those of Kyo and Tohru (even when they are just together, normally, not even in a romantic sense). It almost seems like he was trying to hard, which I think Yuki realized later when he figured out he saw Tohru as a mother figure and that Kyo was the one who looked at Tohru as a "woman." Sigh, I thought that moment was wonderful Embarassed ]

Well that's it for now, I guess I'll add more of my thoughts later!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Okay here's my next group and they are 3 of the biggest:

Hatori - spoiler[Hatori probably has the worst job and was required to do the worst thing possible to a young Yuki: remove all knowledge of Yuki's transformation and friendship from the other children. Because of this Yuki, while he respected Hatori, there was still the anger Yuki felt towards him. One of the best moments in Vol. 16 was when Yuki apoligized to Hatori for blaming him and being angry at him for all of those years.]

Ayame - spoiler[Ayame's relationship with Yuki up until recently has been non-existent. In the beginning it was because of Ayame's anger over the fact that their parents gave more attention to Yuki. But Ayame didn't realize why they were more interested. I think that when he discovered the real reason, he wanted to repair their relationship but now it was Yuki's time to turn a cold shoulder. But, Ayame being Ayame has managed, with help from various others, to get into Yuki's heart. I still think that it will take a while but he'll get there. Of course there is the fact that personality wise they are polar opposites and so they clash because of that. But, Yuki, who is growing up, is learning to just deal with his older brothers excentricities. While Ayame has Shigure and Hatori to help support him, I don't think that he would have attempted to get closer to Yuki without the support and love of Mine.]

Akito - spoiler[Pathetic, tormented BITCH!!! Okay, got that out of the way! Twisted Evil Akito is the source of most of Yuki's heartache, anger and fear. She has played mind-games with Yuki to the point, I'm actually surprised that he recognized love and friendship when Tohru offered it. Akito really doesn't like the fact that Yuki has grown stronger and that's why she flipped out in Vol. 16. She saw in his eyes that she has lost or his losing him. While I do feel that Akito is one of the greatest manga bitches of all times, I'm also seeing that she is one of the most pathetic people ever too.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote
Akito and Yuki, always a weird mix Confused spoiler[His parents basically sold him down the river so that Akito could meet and "take care" of him. She was actually doing okay, as Yuki recalled he would see her being held by Shigure crying (HINT HINT?). And then she snapped. That's when his life got miserable. He asked his mom for help but she just ignored his pleas and told him that he was being taken care of by the head of the Sohma Clan. It even got to the point that he pleaded for help one last time from his own brother, who just pulled his sleeve away, and would cuase a rift between the brother for several years.]

Yuki didn't think much about Rin, until spoiler[later times when Rin started to get into serious trouble. When Hatsuharu would come to visit him while he was confined in the Sohma household, Rin would sit near the door and say, "This boring, I'm leaving." And Hatsuharu would follow her out. Yuki didn't realize this until Rin told him later, but she was doing that for Haru's safety, because after they would leave somebody would come into the room where Yuki was. I think a lot of what Rin would tell Yuki later was to build up a guilty conscience within Yuki, since he was the Rat, getting "special" treatment and such, taken out of the Sohma household at the price of Hatsuharu calling Shigure "Sensei". Rin had her own issues, and really didn't know what was going on with Yuki, to this day I don't think they came to a true reconciliation.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
I always liked the dynamic between Yuki and Ayame. spoiler[When we first meet Ayame, he just seems like an annoyance to Yuki and very boisterous and flamboyant with a "not a care in the world" type attitude. However, we later find out that Ayame cares so much for Yuki and wants to make up for the horrible older brother that he was during Yuki's childhood, to the point where he almost didn't remember that he had a younger brother! Ayame feels a lot of regret and is trying to reconnect and be there for his younger brother. Although Yuki always seems frustrated, annoyed, and doesn't understand his brother, there are some moments where he sees his brother as a good and caring person. When Yuki and Tohru went to Ayame's shop, although they did end up having an argument, at the end Yuki says that he feels like he understands Ayame a little more now. Smile I think a big turning point in their relationship is when Ayame comes to Yuki's parent teacher conference and confronts their mother and makes her so angry she leaves! There I think Yuki also realizes that he shouldn't be scared of his mother anymore (the part where he says, was she always this small and frail?). Ayame just wants the best for Yuki, and is trying his best to have Yuki reconnect with him, although reporting every little positive moment in their relationship to Hatori probably doesn't help him out with Yuki! Wink ]

I think Yuki and Kisa are very similar. spoiler[When Kisa was unable to speak because she was bullied, I think Yuki was reminded of himself when he was younger. Trapping all your emotions inside and as a result being in a depressive state. They both also turned to Tohru and she helped them open up just a little bit, and they both eventually were able to get past the troubles that they were dealing with. She was a mother figure to both Yuki and Kisa.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'm going to skip over some characters because I can't analyze them well in conjunction to Yuki.

Arisa & Saki - spoiler[They came into Yuki orbit because of Tohru. Because they wanted to make sure that Tohru was being treated properly and because she's their friend, these two absorbed Yuki into their circle. Yes, he still held himself somewhat more aloof from them than Kyo but they were still near. Also, Arisa & Saki treated Yuki like he was normal. Not the subject of over-the-top admiration.]

Kakeru - spoiler[Probably the only friend that was forced on Yuki. Very Happy Kakeru, I think, removed the final pieces of Yuki's shell. Kakeru is a lot like Ayame which, in the beginning, drove Yuki almost into a rage. But he actually dealt well with Yuki. I think that Kakeru realizes that Yuki is damaged but that Yuki tries to keep it hidden from the world. I also feel that Kakeru realizes that Yuki does need someone like himself to be able to stay grounded in the real world and not close himself off from love, friendship and even pain. Kakeru probably also helped to provide the final piece of knowledge that Yuki loved Tohru as a mother figure rather than a lover.]

Machi - spoiler[Machi is probably the first person who doesn't see Yuki as a Prince. Tohru, Saki & Arisa do acknowledge him as such but still treat him normally. But Machi simply sees him as a human being. Nothing incredibly special. She probably also recognizes him as someone who has been hurt as deeply as she has. Yuki, in the last couple of volumes, as bloomed into himself due to the love of his friends. I hope that I will be able to see Machi bloom into herself with the help of Kakeru's and Yuki's love.]
pixiebell

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
I don't like much Yuki's character, I must confess at least this, but I found myself really interested in the developments that his story might have. I mean, it all began with the discovery that this girly-looking guy has more heart pains that I would have expected at the beginning.Sad

This is basically how I feel as well. I found Yuki to be a character who I didn't really like or dislike. I do think that spoiler[Yuki and Tohru would be a great couple, but I feel like the manga is leaning towards her and Kyo getting together. While that isn't really a bad thing, I would much rather see Kyo and Kagura together.] That is just my opinion though.

I enjoy Yuki and Ayame's relationship so very much! I think that their personality clashes are allot of fun. Smile I also enjoy spoiler[ the fact that Ayame is trying to repair the problems or the "gap" in their relationship. I look forward to seeing them grow closer in the future]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that a Kyo/Kagura pairing would have EVER worked out. Because even Kagura admitted that her feelings spoiler[stemmed from the fact that she, too, hated the Cat. So, if I remember correctly, her love of Kyo is based on feeling guilty about hating him. Not the best base for a relationship.]

Naohito - spoiler[not really much to say about him and Yuki. Naohito is barely a blip on Yuki's radar but Naohito hates Yuki because of the fact that Matoko is obsessed with him. What Naohito doesn't understand is that Yuki doesn't like being "Prince Yuki" and he barely sees let alone understands the PY Fangirls.]

Motoko - spoiler[So in love with the ideal of Yuki that she can't see the real person. And she doesn't want to either. Motoko along with her flunkies are out to destroy ANYONE who becomes friendly with or looks at Yuki as being less than "The Prince." Fortunately, she fails at the destruction of Tohru. Mainly because of Saki and Arisa. But also because Yuki himself prevents it by keeping Tohru near. Motoko has allowed this obsession of "Prince Yuki" to take over her life so much that she is blinded to the fact that she is loved by another.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Now Ayame spoiler[made himself likeable from the beginning after seeing how Yuki was telling Shigure to skin him and roast him Laughing I think that it was good for Ayame to try and mend the relationship between him and Yuki, though he wasn't sure how he was going to be able to do that. He just needed the push from people like Tohru and Mine to give him the confidence, hence the comedic moments we see throughout the series. As the series progressed, we could see how Ayame was being reliable from Yuki's point of view, so much as we saw Yuki going to or calling Ayame instead of Ayame coming over and barging in on Yuki's daily life.] This could definetly be seen as an improvement in the relationship between the two.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
Yes for as much as Ayame's spoiler[antics are EXTREMELY over the top. He did prove to Yuki that he was reliable especially concerning...]

Yuki's Parents - spoiler[Lousy bastards who should be allowed to live, let alone breed. Twisted Evil I just really can't imagine essentially selling your own child to be tortured just so you can have a better lifestyle. I don't think they cared or even wanted to know that Yuki didn't like being with Akito. All they saw was that the head of the clan liked Yuki. That was all that was important. But, even they are not the worst of the parents in this manga. I don't think that they understand either of their sons. ]

spoiler[At the parent/teacher conference, their mother said: "But it's true isn't it? You can't decide anything on your own. My God, Yuki. You really never have had a worthwhile thought of your own, have you? If all you want to do is disobey me, then be quiet. If you don't get your act together soon, it will cause problems for me too." What a horrible thing to say to your own son. Very, very selfish and uncaring. She then called Ayame an "good for nothing ingrate." The only reason I think she called Ayame that is because he (through his personality) didn't allow them to manipulate him.]

What Ayame said to their mother was extremely profound, especially for him: spoiler[[Typical silly Ayame]"Does it not show that we are brothers burning with love?!" [Very atypical Ayame] "Yuki, you see has given us a chance to do things right. In respect to you as well, what was once nothing is beginning to change into something. Do you not see it? Right now, you are just as I was then. Not realizing how much you have trampled on what's important." ] Very profound. And because of re-reading that just now, I actually feel somewhat sorry for their parents because they do not, can not and possibly will not understand what it is that they did wrong.
pixiebell

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
[quote="LydiaDianne"]I don't think that a Kyo/Kagura pairing would have EVER worked out. Because even Kagura admitted that her feelings spoiler[stemmed from the fact that she, too, hated the Cat. So, if I remember correctly, her love of Kyo is based on feeling guilty about hating him. Not the best base for a relationship.][quote]

Oh, I agree with you completely. I just wished that had not been the case. Smile
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote
pixiebell wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
I don't think that a Kyo/Kagura pairing would have EVER worked out. Because even Kagura admitted that her feelings spoiler[stemmed from the fact that she, too, hated the Cat. So, if I remember correctly, her love of Kyo is based on feeling guilty about hating him. Not the best base for a relationship.]

Oh, I agree with you completely. I just wished that had not been the case. Smile

Also, Kyo never has had spoiler[romantic feelings for Kagura in any way, so even if her love had started out genuine, I don't think things would have worked out between them. I think Kyo fell for Tohru REALLY early in the series (like volumes 3/4 or so)]. BTW, I'm a Kyo/Tohru fan... Wink
cerulean88

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote
i missed alot haven't i? Crying or Very sad *doesn't want to look back to see which character discussion she's missed because it'll make her even more depressed*

i've never really gotten an obsessed attachment to Yuki like his fanclub members at school =p spoiler[but he does have a nice personality though we don't know almost anything about him at first. Then we found out that he fears Akito so much that he'll stay rooted to the spot and not moving if Akito were to just stand there in front of him (school scene). I really hated the anime for stopping in the middle like that and the pairing that people associated him with is always with Tohru. But yeah we all know that Machi is his destined person =)]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:05 am Reply with quote
cerulean88 wrote:
i missed alot haven't i? Crying or Very sad *doesn't want to look back to see which character discussion she's missed because it'll make her even more depressed*

i've never really gotten an obsessed attachment to Yuki like his fanclub members at school =p spoiler[but he does have a nice personality though we don't know almost anything about him at first. Then we found out that he fears Akito so much that he'll stay rooted to the spot and not moving if Akito were to just stand there in front of him (school scene). I really hated the anime for stopping in the middle like that and the pairing that people associated him with is always with Tohru. But yeah we all know that Machi is his destined person =)]

Yeah, that was the way the anime was moving wasn't it. Another reason why another season, like some people keep hoping for, isn't going to happen.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
cerulean88 wrote:

Yeah, that was the way the anime was moving wasn't it. Another reason why another season, like some people keep hoping for, isn't going to happen.

Yeah, I started reading and buying the manga after I had already watched the anime series, so from that I always figured that spoiler[Yuki and Tohru would somehow get together. The anime really hinted at this pairing so to my surprise (and delight) the manga showed that there is a strong relationship between Kyo and Tohru as well, while the anime only focused on the Kyo transformation scene and emphasized Yuki and Tohru]. It's been quite awhile since I have seen the anime, but did it make Yuki out to be not as emotionally scarred/depressed as he was in the manga? I know the anime showed how Yuki is affected by Akito, but I don't think it was to the same extent and it kind of focused on his "princely image."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 74 of 170