• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
RIP to the original Murph, Amen.

It's that time of the week y'all, and things are going to get pretty hectic for me tomorrow, because I have inventory in my store, a shift of 6PM to 2AM, that should be fun Rolling Eyes

We are finally to the last character of our FB character discussions, and I don't think it could be any more obvious who it is, but a hint will help just the same I'm sure.
Hint: spoiler[Our Heroine] Wink
I want to say that it's been fun talking about these characters with you all, and though this is the end of that, there's still more to talk about. This segment of the thread really helped it to grow, to the extent that has become the largest thread in the manga forum, contested only by a sticky. Within the past week I've been able to make edits to my first post in the thread to make people's visiting the thread easier. On top of that I've been able to meet some great people and have fun here in the thread. This is only the beginning, we'll be going from here to keep this thread alive, the US releases still aren't done yet, and hopefully Takaya Sensei will be coming out with a new series this year.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Two words, Ningensei: Other means. You did it for Elfen Lied .... Very Happy

Haha, you got me there! Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

However, the difference for me is that I started buying FB when they were only on voume 5 or 6, so for the past 2-3 years I have been patiently waiting 2 to 3 to 4 months between new releases and that's how I have read the manga over the years. I almost feel like I would be cheating myself on all that time I waited to get the new releases when I could just get them online and read them all. Embarassed There have been many times of temptation though! I know I make no sense because I read some scans for other series, I'm sorry! Anime hyper
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is it. The moment you've been waiting for, welcome to Tohru Week!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Truly, without this character the series would not have turned out to what it became, and she was definetly one of my favorite characters to read about. She turned out to be well balanced, seeing how she had some comedic aspects in the beginning but as the manga progressed we got to see some dark aspects also. Her story is one of the most beautiful and complex stories within the Fruits Basket series.

Characters related to Tohru:
- Kyo
- Yuki
- Shigure
- Kyoko
- Katsuya
- Her Grandfather
- Arisa
- Saki
- Hatsuharu
- Momiji
- Akito
- Kagura
- Hatori
- Kisa
- Hiro
- Rin
- Ritsu
- Ayame
- Kureno
- Prince Yuki Fanclub
- Her Relatives
- Mayuko
- Kakeru
- Kazuma
- Other Sohma Family Members

There's so many of them, I hope I haven't missed anybody Wink

I'm going to leave this discussion open until I finish my finals, so talk all you want!!

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quote
It's late and I'm tired but I thought that I would make at least one comment about Tohru before I shut down the computer.

Tohru is probably not the brightest bulb in the box. She occasionally zones out, not as bad as Osaka of AzuDai, but she does zone out. She's not that smart but she does try hard to succeed. She works too hard. She's cheerful far too often. While she wants to protect others, she needs the protection more. But because of all of that, she has a place in my heart.

Tohru is one of the most endearing manga characters that I know of. I'm looking forward to seeing her succeed in her wish spoiler[to free Kyo and the other members of the Zodiac] and to see her graduate from High School and spoiler[see her with Kyo forever.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree on the Tohru spoiler[zoning out thing. Like the year they became second year students, they were having the entrance ceremony for the first year students. Tohru just so happened to be standing there, and Kyo noticed some "young guns" talking about Tohru. Then he happened to go up to her and punch the wall, and give those guys the look of his. Never thought that at the end of the series they'd be together.]
cerulean88

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
hopefully Takaya Sensei will be coming out with a new series this year.

good news people =) Takaya-san is releasing a new series! info can be found in hanayume left=hana to yume's website and there's also a wiki page for it...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkle_Stars though there's still not much atm.

spoiler[Tohru is obviously really dense but despite all that, she's such a strong person and yes she always helps others but doesn't care to what she really wants herself. She's able to handle the many psychological situations that the members of the Sohma family has experienced and plants a sense of calmness over them all, making them all feel so comfortable being around her.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
Besides Kyo, Tohru is also one of my most beloved characters. I don't think you can enjoy this series if you don't have a spot in your heart for the main heroine. Several years ago when I first watched the FB anime, but hadn't started the manga yet, I was talking to a friend of mine who was also an anime fan, and I told him how much I loved the show and that I wanted to collect the manga to see how the story continues. He was surprised however, and said he hated the show because he cannot stand when the main character of an anime is a "doormat." And that is how he described Tohru. I tried to argue with him, and felt I didn't feel the same way, but now I am curious and want to know, did the anime characterize Tohru as more submissive and an emotional doormat than the manga did.

I know that sometimes she does get taken advantage of, but Tohru works so hard and truly wants the best for everyone and to make them happy. If that's a doormat then I guess I am one too. That is one reason I love Tohru; I have identified parts of her character with myself in my own life. Some people tell me that I am nice to a fault, is that even possible? Confused I just want everyone in my life to be as happy and content as they can be, just like Tohru. But then I am also pretty vulnerable sometimes and just want someone else to take care of me too! Embarassed
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Besides Kyo, Tohru is also one of my most beloved characters. I don't think you can enjoy this series if you don't have a spot in your heart for the main heroine. Several years ago when I first watched the FB anime, but hadn't started the manga yet, I was talking to a friend of mine who was also an anime fan, and I told him how much I loved the show and that I wanted to collect the manga to see how the story continues. He was surprised however, and said he hated the show because he cannot stand when the main character of an anime is a "doormat." And that is how he described Tohru. I tried to argue with him, and felt I didn't feel the same way, but now I am curious and want to know, did the anime characterize Tohru as more submissive and an emotional doormat than the manga did.

I think it depends. I hate Tohru but still i could enjoy this series (maybe besides some moments when i wanted to hang her and some other characters) but still others was interesting enough for me. However if Tohru had behaved like Chii or Chii's clone, this girl from elfen lied that name i have forgotten, i would have dropped this series instantly. At least she is bearable for some people even if they don't like her. Besides it was funny reading fan fics with Akito & Tohru spoiler[ that were made before it was revealed that Akito is a girl.]
pixiebell

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised to find how many people just don't like Tohru, to each thier own I suppose. I find her to absolutely adorable and her cheeriness is needed to balance out all the dark depressing stuff in the manga. I always find myself cheering for Tohru and I can't wait for the rest of the manga to release here in the U.S. I have stayed strong and resisted most spoilers so far. I hope I can hold out!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Besides it was funny reading fan ficks with Akito& Tohru that was made before it was revealed that Akito spoiler[is a girl].

Aylinn, I am going to make a request that you put down spoilers for certain details associated with the series. That part has not been revealed to US fans who don't read scanlations or don't know how to read Japanese, if you know what I mean.

Tohru spoiler[has been a bit on the ditzy side, but she is willing to help others even at the sacrifice of her own will and testament. Thanks to her sacrifice, so many others benefited and healed from the wounds that were inflicted upon them, where are you going to find a main character such as her?]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
pixiebell wrote:
I was surprised to find how many people just don't like Tohru, to each thier own I suppose. I find her to absolutely adorable and her cheeriness is needed to balance out all the dark depressing stuff in the manga. I always find myself cheering for Tohru and I can't wait for the rest of the manga to release here in the U.S. I have stayed strong and resisted most spoilers so far. I hope I can hold out!

Hear, hear! I was surprised as well, maybe some people think that she is TOO cheerful and that it is unrealistic? I don't know, but I really like that aspect of her because she brings a brights spot to the series as you have said. Without her I think that there would be spoiler[too much angst, and how would people get through their dark and depressing pasts? Tohru was a major factor in the healing process for a lot of the zodiac.]

fighterholic wrote:
Tohru spoiler[has been a bit on the ditzy side, but she is willing to help others even at the sacrifice of her own will and testament. Thanks to her sacrifice, so many others benefited and healed from the wounds that were inflicted upon them, where are you going to find a main character such as her?]

Yes, Yes, all so very true. Anime smile I also think that she is a very special and unique character, and that the series wouldn't be the same if she wasn't there!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm not going to talk about ANY of Tohru's relatives because they piss me off (the hateful bastards) and I hate them all. NOTE: This statement does NOT include her parents.

We've mentioned that Yuki is spoiler[like her son...so to speak.] I would have to say that Kisa is her adored baby sister, Momiji is her beloved younger brother, Kagura would be her older, flaky sister. Shigure, of course, the weird uncle.

I don't think that Tohru would have made it spoiler[that first year after Kyoko's death] if it hadn't been for Arisa and Saki. They were her strength and her courage and her heart. Because of them, she was able to remain hopeful and cheerful in the face of the adversity of being an orphan and dealing with the contempt of those miserable modderpockers she's related to.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Okay, I'm not going to talk about ANY of Tohru's relatives because they piss me off (the hateful bastards) and I hate them all.

Knowing you, we'd have a three page long post if you were to talk about her unpleasant relatives. When I first saw spoiler[the people who were taking care of her grandfather, I was glad when that one guy was saying that BS about Tohru staying at Shigure's house, and then Grandpa slapped him. I can see that he hasn't agreed with everything the Honda family has been doing, especially to Tohru, but I think that he's powerless in the sense that even though she's his grandchild, he's one man versus the whole other family. They are especially going to treat her bad since she's the living product of Katsuya and the seemingly "wrong" choice that he made for union with Kyoko.] Duh Rolling Eyes
Torhu_San

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
I couldn't stand Tohru's family either. When her cousin said spoiler[We finally got a big house, why do I have to share a room?] I was so angry, I was thinking "It's not your house you ungreatful %(#&@()!)_!@+!!!!!!" Luckily her grandfather loved her enough to know she needed to get out of there.

She might be flaky, but she has great courage. She chose to live in a tent alone. She spoiler[snuck into the Sohma compound to see Kureno.] I love her. I am so glad a character like this was created.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, relatives. When they're on the good side, then you're in luck, but if they're on the bad side, you've got no chance. Hence all the more reason to stay away from the Honda family on Tohru's part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 80 of 170