• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Anime Club Leader Jailed For Teen Sex Abuse

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote
Jack_Davis wrote:
And even if it was consensual, it still constitutes statutory rape as he clearly took advantage of the girls for his own means.

Therefore, his jail sentence is well-suited for him.

I believe sterile, machine-like views such as this trivialize the word rape. It's preposterous to lump two consenting individuals having sex into the same category as violent non-consentual sex. Like any case, you should look at things on an individual and case-by-case basis.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Ok, but how many people have completed puberty at age 13? And how many are there who haven't even started puberty at that age? Just how many have the mental and emotional maturity for sex at that 13? I'm not an expert on human development, but I imagine the number of 13 year old teens that are truly ready for sex is incredibly small, assuming the number isn't actually 0.

So let's bump it up again, 14. Except, there are still plenty of people at 14 that aren't developed or mature enough for sex, so maybe...

Those are very common age of consent laws in most parts of the world. America has one of the more stricter age of consent laws. In Europe they range from 13 to 16 on average. Only two European countries have 18 as their age of consent, both of which are not very large. Most of the large countries fall into the early teens. I suppose it depends on the culture, so more sexually liberating countries will have younger age limits while more conservative ones will have higher ones. You make a good point on there probably should be one in principle, but there should be plenty of flexibility on a case by case basis, and I do feel labeling any violation of it as 'rape' to be an extreme consequence, especially if there is no flexibility of the law to defend special circumstances.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
There should be 2 ages of consent.
-one around 13 or 14 years old : from that point on, you should be able to have sex with others so long as those others are at least 13 or 14 and are not older than say 16.
-another at 16 or 17 : sex allowed with anyone over the age of 16 or 17.

Of course, consent always needed in any case.

That way, you protect the younger ones from the middle aged pedophiles all the while allowing them to discover their sexuality progressively if they feel like it.

I'd have to check but I think Spain has a system like that and they don't have a teenage pregnancy rate going through the roof, on the contrary.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
First, @Mad_Scientist, your post was one of the few sane ones in this thread, as well as being informative and reasoned, so thank you. Smile
And I pretty much agree with all of it.

Kutsu wrote:
There should be 2 ages of consent.
-one around 13 or 14 years old : from that point on, you should be able to have sex with others so long as those others are at least 13 or 14 and are not older than say 16.
-another at 16 or 17 : sex allowed with anyone over the age of 16 or 17.

Those already exist in many jurisdictions, they're called 'close-in-age exceptions'/'Romeo and Juliet laws', designed to reduce or mitigate the penalty otherwise incurred because one, or both, parties can't give legal consent.
Besides, those exceptions would probably fair better than your example if one was 15 and the other 17...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile in another court room somewhere else.

Yep, That's British Justice for ya. Ya couldn't write it in a script. Rolling Eyes
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Yep, That's British Justice for ya. Ya couldn't write it in a script. Rolling Eyes

Wow, that's terrible.

But also, thank you for linking to that, as it illustrates fully the disturbing "blame the victim" behavior that many in this thread are concerned about, and is proof that it still happens.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Someone call Crown Prosecutor Steele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE3gMN97TKw
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Wow, that's terrible.

But also, thank you for linking to that, as it illustrates fully the disturbing "blame the victim" behavior that many in this thread are concerned about, and is proof that it still happens.

what the flying f***.. I don't even.. sigh I need a fu*** drink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Oh we should be so proud to be British Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Adamb15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
No one who is a self-proclaimed Captain Class anime fan should have such a disgusting handle on their native language.

What is this shit?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
Adamb15 wrote:
No one who is a self-proclaimed Captain Class anime fan should have such a disgusting handle on their native language.

What is this shit?
You wouldn't be from 4Chan by any chance? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9