• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-03]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Wandering Knight wrote:
PD: Oh, and what I stated above relates to the fact that a lot of people in your country doesn't vote because they don't want. I can't remember the exact percentage of non-voting americans in last elections, but it was relatively high.

Probably because a lot of people are simply sick of and fed up with BOTH of our political parties and they decided that rather than voting for the lesser evil, they just won't vote at all.

Well, I've always believed that if you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain about how things turn up.

And because I voted (participation here is aprox 70~80%) yes I'm complaing when basically every other place in the US is enjoying a steady economy and where I live is the only place under the US flag that is on an economic depresion because we have elected idiots (the sorry thing is that I voted for that POS Governor) that only want to cover their asses and raise taxes, don't cut gov expenses and even have put up an 7% sale tax... I can't wait the next election to vote them out of office (if this was any other country the bums would have been thrown down of office and executed for incompetence) and we have to live under a 2 party system that just want to administer the $, raise their flags for they political relation with the US whenever its convenient to them and not do anything for the people Rolling Eyes

sorry for the rant, but I had to vent Confused

The thing people seem to not realize is that the Republicans have controlled the house, senate, courts, white house for a number of years. The conservatives also control the so called liberal media as well.

Btw when the hell did critizing the mistakes of our goverment become treason? The founding fathers would have welcomed such critizism since that is the hallmark of a true patriot.

The Founding Fathers rejected god on the money, rejected Christianity as an offical religion, rejected all attempts to put Jesus/Christanity in the Declaration of Independance as well as the Constitution. Heck Christians said the Constitution was godless and that this country was founded on godlessness. That this country was on the road to damnation and that it was cursed in the eyes of god.

The so called liberal media doesn't report on a tenth of what really happens in Iraq due to the stupidity of the Bush admin nor all the criminal dealings that have gone on the in the Republican party. They don't challenge Bush even when any lie could be easily googled in under five minutes and verifed in another ten from offical documents.

The Republicans have made America less safe, it was the Republicans who voted against scanning every piece of cargo going into this country as well as providing more accurate tech for securing passenger planes. Republicans time and time didn't go after Osama and harrassed Clinton for trying to nab Osama.

Strange that when Clinton did missle strikes to wipe out terrorist camps in Afganistan the Republican party rallied against him. Funny what they get angry about they do not care that contractors did shoddy work or are killing innocent people in Iraq fueling the hatred against the occupation. The Republicans do not care about the safety and future of America at all those are just words to them.

Saying the pledge of alliengance each day as a school child will not make people patriotic nor will protecting the Flag. As Captain America said "America is a piece of trash! A nation is nothing! The Flag is piece of Cloth"
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Getting back on topic it is debable whether Japan is more prone to racism due to it's not being very familar with other cultures. I suspect a lot of Japanese would object to comedians in blackface if they were told about the origins and history of it in America. A lot of countries fit the Japanese model of homogenized society.

For a brief time in Japan music acts in blackface makeup were pretty popular. The same occured in Great Britain. In both cases it was imported to America in the 1960s apparently by people not familiar with the history attached to it.

In both countries a lot of people wouldn't be too amused to see it after being informed of the history.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
OK folks, no more political discussion in this thread. It's been fun but we're way off track here.
Duo Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
toomanyalts wrote:
As Captain America said "America is a piece of trash! A nation is nothing! The Flag is piece of Cloth"

I'm sure the capt. had a very good reason for saying something like that, but srysly... I'm thinking about demoting him to private, with that kind of attitude. Now, with Uncle Ben, 'With great power, comes great responsibility.' that saying is the kind nobody minds, maybe even admire. Yeah.

....Sorry for going off-topic.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
About the translation rant:
The only problem with side notes is it takes away from watching the show. Normally, if that happends I have to pause the picture to read it because it's too distracting. I like to watch a show, not read a bunch of letters with a moving picture as the background. Another probably I have with the third style is the random words in Japanese (eg one-sama)every other word in the subtitle. I thought the I was reading an English sub. As for the westernized translations, it takes away from the culture and almosts censors it out. I prefer the first style where one can understand their culture without have notes that fill the entire screen, and it's in English! I understand if using the same word in Japanese if it reflects the culture, but if it's a random Japanese word that most people who speak English don't use then I don't really think they should put it in.
EDIT:
Quote:
Fansubs tend to take approach #3 because fans are more willing to read notes and tend to be more familiar with nuances of basic honorifics and cultural terms.

The viewer doesn't have a choise it's either read the long side note at the top of the screen or be confused.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so we all pretty much agree on why we think Japan portrays other races in anime the way they do, but what about people from Osaka? Osaka characters are often stereotyped in anime, but how do the people of Osaka feel about it? Has there ever been reports of anyone being offended by anime's stereotypical portrayal of Osaka? What started anime's stereotype of Osaka characters, anyway?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Ok, so we all pretty much agree on why we think Japan portrays other races in anime the way they do, but what about people from Osaka? Osaka characters are often stereotyped in anime, but how do the people of Osaka feel about it? Has there ever been reports of anyone being offended by anime's stereotypical portrayal of Osaka? What started anime's stereotype of Osaka characters, anyway?

Ahh this is an interesting question and something I've never thought about. Plus I like the subtle change in gears in this thread. Well to possibly extend a viewpoint about this, not saying it's any kind of answer since I don't have enough grounds to go by here, here's what I'll say: The majority - no - make that, for all intents and purposes, ALL anime is made in Tokyo. So if you realize that and realize that Japan is basically 2 giant, sprawling masses of people on an island: Kanto region (where Tokyo is) and Osaka region (actually Kansai), you kind of see a rivalry like the one between the 2 biggest cities in the U.S. (LA and NY). However since all anime is from Kanto, the only type of negativity we see is the poking fun of people from Osaka.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Zac, for clearing that up. I believe you should have stated that though in the article. As read, it really does stink of hyperbole. And no you do not need a degree to know something, I know I sounded like a snob, sorry.

But blame the man not the company, you know. There are too many people involved to cast a shadow of blame. And as for control of government I still disagree. Like I said OPEC would be a better example.

Still, really good read this week. Maybe you are a wizard. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
The majority - no - make that, for all intents and purposes, ALL anime is made in Tokyo.

Are you sure about that? I freely admit to being fairly ignorant about the anime industry within Japan, but I was under the impression that at least some stuff was produced in Osaka and/or Kyoto. Isn't Kyoto Animation one of the studios folks around here often rave about for the high quality work they do (including Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu)?

In any event, I can't believe that all the writers are from Tokyo even on anime that is produced there, so I'm not sure I 100% agree with your hypothesis.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Are you sure about that? I freely admit to being fairly ignorant about the anime industry within Japan, but I was under the impression that at least some stuff was produced in Osaka and/or Kyoto. Isn't Kyoto Animation one of the studios folks around here often rave about for the high quality work they do (including Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu)?

In any event, I can't believe that all the writers are from Tokyo even on anime that is produced there, so I'm not sure I 100% agree with your hypothesis.

Yeah I was aware of that particular anime studio and considered mentioning it in my post, but to simplify things I left it how it was. The point was not how much anime is actually made in Tokyo. The point was how this anime powerhouse results in an uneven impression of how Osakans are portrayed in anime. I think anime being produced in Kansai is a fairly new thing but I'll be on the lookout for new anime that pokes fun at Tokyoites. Oh wait there is one, Someday's Dreamers: Little Runa-chan gets teased about her strong Tokyo accent. Any others?

As another comparison between Japan and the U.S., when we think of movies and TV we think of Hollywood and Los Angeles, but lots of films are also produced in NY. Just like how Tokyo represents most but not all anime.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I think anime being produced in Kansai is a fairly new thing but I'll be on the lookout for new anime that pokes fun at Tokyoites. Oh wait there is one, Someday's Dreamers: Little Runa-chan gets teased about her strong Tokyo accent. Any others?

The Studio Ghibli film Ocean Waves is set in Kochi, Japan. A Tokyo girl named Rikako Mutou transfers to school there and many of the students make remarks about her Toyko accent and Tokyo women in general.

As far as animation studios go, I think the Tokyo/Los Angeles comparison is a pretty accurate one. Of course anime is being made elsewhere, but the bulk of the big studio names come out of Toyko.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
The point was not how much anime is actually made in Tokyo. The point was how this anime powerhouse results in an uneven impression of how Osakans are portrayed in anime.

Point taken. And your later point about it being more of a LA vs. NY type of thing is also a good one. Maybe a more broad comparison could even be West Coast vs. East Coast. Us left coasters do sometimes like to make fun of what we see as our uptight eastern brethren, so I guess the Kanto vs. Kansai thing could be similar, and since most anime is being made in Tokyo we get to see it from that side much more often.

Past wrote:
Oh wait there is one, Someday's Dreamers: Little Runa-chan gets teased about her strong Tokyo accent.

What a coincidence that you would mention this, as I happen to be watching that very anime right now. I haven't got to that part yet, but I'll be watching out for it now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9