• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime Series Confirmed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Wow, how did I miss this news yesterday...

Anyway, if this is going to be a straight manga adaptation, methinks it's about time to start buying those graphic novels!

But... I wonder how they're going to fit 19+ volumes of manga storyline into 52 episodes of anime...

Is it already decided that the new series will be 52 episodes long?

I'm just going by this post:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=621644#621644
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Wasn't there a news article or something that confirmed she was going to end it soon? I don't know, I'm probably just imagining things.... Razz

The "under 100 chapters" thing has been floating around for years though I don't know where that came from.

But if you've been following the manga, you'd see that it's reaching some kind of climax anyway. If it doesn't end here, it is at least reaching a major turning point.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:38 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Wow, how did I miss this news yesterday...

Anyway, if this is going to be a straight manga adaptation, methinks it's about time to start buying those graphic novels!

But... I wonder how they're going to fit 19+ volumes of manga storyline into 52 episodes of anime...

Is it already decided that the new series will be 52 episodes long?

I'm just going by this post:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=621644#621644

So it isn't officially confirmed, right?
if I was them, I'll try to use the same staff and cast, as much as possible, of the first TV series, even recycling animation, and make a complete remake but this time completely true to the manga.

It isn't really important if the manga will finish soon though, since they could still make OAVs later like they did for HxH (whichi is still ongoing, even if really slowly).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
EDIT. Brotherhood ended up way better.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
So... why is everyone so sure of the new series being a new adaptation of the manga? I see people referring to Moonphase as the source , but as far as I remember he only speculated that it might be a new adaptation, what with the way the movie ended and whatnot. I'm not saying he can't be right, of course, but wouldn't a new manga adaptation raise quite many problems? (For one, there are the first 25 episodes of the original series that follow the manga quite closely - there's no point in repeating that story again, but it's not like they can just summarize it like "so mom died, we failed to resurrect her, stuff happened, Hughes died and here we are now"... This might work for an OVA but not for a TV series.)
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(not even sure if the movie even needed to be made....)

I strongly disagree. The way the series ended spoiler[with the Elrics in separate worlds was just ridiculous. You just spent 50 episodes bleeding, sweating, and crying with them and hoping they ended up in their real bodies, and then it just ends with them apart forever and Al has no clue what happened for the last 4 years?? No freaking way.] The movie, even with its flaws, ended the show perfectly.
sj21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
For all the people that are doing this- shut up Twisted Evil Just because the series had a good ending or bad, whichever way you look at it it dosen't mean it dosen't need a sequel. When you think about it they spoiler[never explained what happened to dante.] So stop saying that.

anyway, here are my questions for the show.

1. How old are they gonna be

2. What time period

I wonder if there gonna be like 20-25 years old and if Al will ever become a state alchemist.

But what would kill it and i know that bones won't do this, is if the sequel was just showing there life on the other side of the gate.

Also does anyone know if its began production or if they just started with the whole idea.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:
When you think about it they spoiler[never explained what happened to dante.] So stop saying that.

You'd think the whole spoiler[Gluttony is REALLY hungry, Dante is trying to calm him down, and the elevator opens with no one inside would've been enough of a hint for people to figure it out, but apparently some things need to be spelled out:

Gluttony ate Dante. If Dante had instead defeated Gluttony, then you wouldn't have seen Gluttony emerge EVEN STRONGER in the movie.]

And yes, in some series, people are DEFINITELY justified in saying "no sequel". Anyone who demanded a Cowboy Bebop sequel should be forced to watched the whole series again and see if they can figure out why such an idea is nonsensical (a prequel might be excusable, but I think spelling out unknown details about character backgrounds often take away what helped make those characters intirguing in the first place).
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
if I was them, I'll try to use the same staff and cast, as much as possible, of the first TV series, even recycling animation, and make a complete remake but this time completely true to the manga.

Not to be a nay-sayer, but screen formats have changed since then from 4:3 to 16:9, and many shows are now being broadcast in HD. And BONES would be fools to not release a new FMA in HD. Just compare Gundam 00 to Gundam SEED if you need to see the difference.

Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Now, if only Akira, Trigun, and Rurouni Kenshin can get this treatment as well...

Let's add in there that I'm still waiting for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind to become a trilogy that wraps up the storyline. (The original movie only covers about 1 1/2 out of 7 of the volumes of manga). But, I'll take what I get for now. And if more FMA is what I get, then I'm happy for the time being.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
Another thing no one's mentioned:

There are FMA OVAs. Only one is really relevant here though. It shows spoiler[three kids--looking remarkably like Ed, Al, and Winry very young--and their wandering through a city. The finally end up at a a home and we see a glimpse of a 100-year-old Ed in our world. It's been a while since I've seen it so I can't exactly remember how it's done, but it is conveyed that Ed is their grandpa, and he is 100 years old somewhere in our world in 2005.]Interesting to see if they'll be loyal to that if they go the sequel route.

And I just realized if they did go the sequel route, there are actually two spans of several years not covered in the anime: right after Ed becomes state alchemist and wanders for about 3 years and when Al is alone in his world. I honestly hope they pick one of these routes or find some way to make a decent continuation if they insist on making a sequel and beating a dead horse. I'm definitely anti-manga-remake. Sorry guys.
sj21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
sj21 wrote:
When you think about it they spoiler[never explained what happened to dante.] So stop saying that.

You'd think the whole spoiler[Gluttony is REALLY hungry, Dante is trying to calm him down, and the elevator opens with no one inside would've been enough of a hint for people to figure it out, but apparently some things need to be spelled out:

Gluttony ate Dante. If Dante had instead defeated Gluttony, then you wouldn't have seen Gluttony emerge EVEN STRONGER in the movie.]

And yes, in some series, people are DEFINITELY justified in saying "no sequel". Anyone who demanded a Cowboy Bebop sequel should be forced to watched the whole series again and see if they can figure out why such an idea is nonsensical (a prequel might be excusable, but I think spelling out unknown details about character backgrounds often take away what helped make those characters intirguing in the first place).

Interesting you say that, because last night i was wathing the american commentary for the show and Aaron(don't know his last name) but the voice of Al in the eng. dub said he dosen't know what happened and his theory is that Dante transmuted him. Thats why he's like he is in the movie, possibly.And you never know, maybe Dante fell down the elevator considering there was a big whole idiot. You shouldn't go saying that crap to me since we now have a sequel to possibly explain things.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:
And you never know, maybe Dante fell down the elevator considering there was a big whole idiot. You shouldn't go saying that crap to me since we now have a sequel to possibly explain things.

Gluttony spoiler[ate the hole through the elevator and then cornered Dante. ]Even Mizushima himself said that spoiler[Gluttony ate her.] There's nothing left to explain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:
Interesting you say that, because last night i was wathing the american commentary for the show and Aaron(don't know his last name) but the voice of Al in the eng. dub said he dosen't know what happened and his theory is that Dante transmuted him.

You're taking the word of a voice actor who isn't even one of the characters involved?
sj21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
sj21 wrote:
Interesting you say that, because last night i was wathing the american commentary for the show and Aaron(don't know his last name) but the voice of Al in the eng. dub said he dosen't know what happened and his theory is that Dante transmuted him.

You're taking the word of a voice actor who isn't even one of the characters involved?

I just said what he said, maybe you need to get your eye's checked out.
sledge-daddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
sj maybe you should calm down. i mean logically could dante have really beaten back gluttony and somehow magically escaped the elevator? even one of her ice golems wouldn't have helped that close of a range Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 14