• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 10 Tearjerkers That'll Empty the Tissue Box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
The only other title that had me a blubbering mess, apart from "Grave Of The Fireflies" was the ending of "Only Yesterday", but it was tears of joy for that one.

Whenever I watch that one, I always start crying from the moment that Taeko gets on the train...
Yeah and they start playing that song,,,,,,,,,,,,oh, I'm watering up just thinking about it.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
As a Key fan, I didn't care much about air. I thought Makoto's arc in Kanon was way more emotional. And of all the deaths in Key/KyoAni shows, how can anyone think that spoiler[Nagisa]'s and her spoiler[daughter]'s death weren't the most tragic deaths of any Key series? Maybe that's just me.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Zarquon wrote:
Wow I'm really surprised that no one mentioned Summer Wars.

The Part where Sakae Jinnouchi spoiler[ dies and it slowly pans over the grieving family ] Just kills me. Same thing with the spoiler[ will reading scene ]

Actually, as much as I LOVED the character of Sakae, I do not cry at that, it kinda of flows with the story. But the part that I ALWAYS get misty eyed with is spoiler[when the little German kid offers his avatar to Natsuki. yes, he's then followed by thousands, but it is such a selfless "we're all in this together" moment that] it always makes me tear up.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched a number of those entries, for various reasons, but Sailor Moon and Grave of the Fireflies are right on. I cried at that Nephrite scene every darn time they replayed it.

Some others that get me are:

Godannar - spoiler[The death of Moukaku after he proposes to Shukuyu] (yes, I fully understand that I may be the only person who has seen this series)

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid: Episodes 6 and 7, when spoiler[Sousuke has to leave Kaname]. Some of the best episodes of anime out there, but they totally make me cry. I cried during those scenes in the book too.

Gurren Lagann - spoiler[The death of Kamina]. I thought this one would make the list, actually. It broke my heart for several days after I watched it. Of course, the spoiler[death of Kittan] is also heart-breaking. Poor Yoko...

I cried at the end of Inu x Boku SS and Tokyo Godfathers, but those were happy tears Smile
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Many people already mentioned several I was going to say, so I'll just move one to the ones people haven't said yet.

Fist of the North Star: spoiler[Raoh's death. Part of it had to do with how Raoh went to fight his brother to the death even though he knew he would most certainly die, and another part was how he extended Yuria's lifespan even though he would never get to be with Yuria. How Raoh's whole army was moved by the whole spectacle and returned home to their families really moved me, too. I suppose what got me the most, though, was when Raoh went to punch Kenshiro and stopped short because Ken isn't doing anything to stop him. He realizes that Ken knows Raoh has already, essentially, been defeated. Ken then pulls Raoh's fists to his chests so he can feel them before his brother passes. Raoh then grabs Ken's face and says "Let me see the face of the man who defeated Raoh!" I start crying like a little girl at this scene.]

Garouden: spoiler[Crybaby Sakura's vision of his mother and his later suicide. I cried for forty minutes straight when I read this part. Stuff dealing with mothers and children always get me, and this got me HARD. During a wrestling match, Sakura temporarily dies and goes to Heaven where he sees his mother. She tells him everything is okay, and then he wakes up. He then begins to cry, something he thought he lost the ability to do when his mother gouged out his eyes as a child (long story). Later, after crying for a day straight, he asks the man that defeated him to send him to the place where his mother is; to kill him. Of course, he later dies. I only hope that, once Keisuke Itageki gets back to Garouden, we get more great moments like this.]

On the subject of the Clannad After Story thing, that ending was terrible, and I probably won't ever rewatch the anime knowing that spoiler[all those tears and work at developing a relationship with his daughter are absolutely pointless in the long run due to the ending.]. I hope it's all handled better in the VN.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
On the subject of the Clannad After Story thing, that ending was terrible, and I probably won't ever rewatch the anime knowing that spoiler[all those tears and work at developing a relationship with his daughter are absolutely pointless in the long run due to the ending.]. I hope it's all handled better in the VN.
Yes the anime did not do a good job with presenting the story as in the game. It gives anime only viewers a feeling cheapened. You spend 100+ hours in the game working for the end. Also if Maeda had complete control without visual art's, we would have had something closer to Tomoyo After perhaps >.>

As for people saying Clannad was more emotional than Kanon or Clannad is because AIR has 12 episodes. AIR is a longer game than Kanon. Kanon had twice as many episodes than AIR to portray the story and left out quite a bit. But of course these are people's opinions.

I can not pick a favorite KEY title. I love them all Smile Little Busters should be good if J.C Staff can present the ending better than Kyoani did. I also hope they add in parts that needed more definition.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
too many old shows on the list
let's not live in the 90s
Angel beats should be on the list
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
too many old shows on the list
let's not live in the 90s
Angel beats should be on the list

People liking "old" shows (and I don't know how anything from the '90s could be considered old) shouldn't be a problem. Hell, if all people like you like is new stuff then you should take this as an opportunity to learn about what "old" shows you should watch.

Also, how is five too many "old" shows? Half of the stuff on there is from the 2000s; considering how long anime has been around, the fact five shows from the 00s and the 10s shows that this list is already focused on recent shows. You really need to broaden your horizons, kid. Also, Angel Beats isn't everyone's cup of tea.

grooven wrote:
Yes the anime did not do a good job with presenting the story as in the game. It gives anime only viewers a feeling cheapened. You spend 100+ hours in the game working for the end. Also if Maeda had complete control without visual art's, we would have had something closer to Tomoyo After perhaps >.>

Glad to know the VN is worth it. Thanks
gilg4mesh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
dat first... definitely the saddest for me.
Even the second time I watched Hotaru no Haka I cried unreasonably from the beginning to the end

Hmmm but the second saddest moment for me is Code Geass R2's ending, spoiler[Lelouch's last moment]. It made my mind break successfully for some times after watched it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it has been brought up, but I just finished watching Mawaru Penguindrum and I was a wailing mess all through the ending. Mostly the flashback scene spoiler[where Kanba shares half of the apple with Shoma] and the epilogue scene spoiler[when Himari finds the note her brothers left in the teddy bear]

For me, I think it's not exactly a tragic death that makes me cry, but to see the people mourning and grieving the loss of a loved one. Hence why spoiler[Sai's disappearance] in Hikaru no Go is the absolute tear-jerker in my book. That scene someone mentioned before in Trigun, after spoiler[Wolfwood's death], with spoiler[Vash trying to eat donuts and suddenly breaking up in tears] is another good example that broke my heart
tsutsugamushi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
The only other title that had me a blubbering mess, apart from "Grave Of The Fireflies" was the ending of "Only Yesterday", but it was tears of joy for that one.

Whenever I watch that one, I always start crying from the moment that Taeko gets on the train...
Yeah and they start playing that song,,,,,,,,,,,,oh, I'm watering up just thinking about it.

YES!! I'm a serial Studio Ghibli blubberer! Even the END CREDITS of "Kiki's Delivery Service" when that little girl walks by dressed as Kiki...and she sees she's really made her mark and is inspiring other girls...gets me every time!
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
You really need to broaden your horizons, kid. Also, Angel Beats isn't everyone's cup of tea.

You so funny, grandpa, like a master pierrot! I love your stories.
teach me more about hypocrisy! j/k
Y2K my friend, Y2k!

Kiki's delivery service came out in 1989, might need to break out ye olde betamax for that one but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate a timeless classic.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
I also think that Utawarerumono had a sad moment for me. Considering how the story ends. Heck it made me want to find a translation for the game. I found one story walkthrough but it wasn't complete. Quite a bit of changes going from "eroge" to anime. Then they put out a non-adult version later. I really would have liked to have had the chance to play it. I really did enjoy the series when I had the chance to check it out. Plus, it's part of my collection now as well.
tomh4236

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Zarquon wrote:

Also the ending of Angel Beats is certainly worth the listing, I mean, spoiler[ Otonashi is confessing his love and promising to literally spend eternity with Kanade only to have the rug pulled out from under him. ]

I have to second Angel Beats. That last conversation between Otonashi and Kanade was very hard to process, and thinking about what they said still moves me like few other scenes in anime (or film). And don't think you can watch the last 5 minutes and get the impact of what is happening; you need to see the series to understand Otanashi's struggles in life.

spoiler[ Through the entire series, Kanade's Regret is kept secret, so it is a surprise when she finally reveals it, and a shock to realize that in doing so, she satisfies both her and Otonashi's Regrets. There is a saying that people don't realize what they have until they lose it; in this case, that's turned upside down, because Otonashi and Kanade lose what they have when they both realize what they have. The heart wrenching part (for me) was that Kanade did this, and Otonashi accepts it, knowing full well that they would lose something precious that they hadn't expected to find.]

Note: Angel Beats takes place in an afterlife way-station, where people who have died with a major regret in life are given the chance to satisfy that regret in a high school setting. For some souls, that seems more like hell.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I was recently reminded of the heart-rending scene from Naruto in which Gaara spoiler[unwittingly kills Yashamaru, the only person who seemed to care for him, after Yashamaru tries to kill him, and is told that he in fact hates him and that no one ever loved him, not even his mother. The scenes building up to that made it a real kick in the gut. Serious spoiler for Shippuden 297: ] spoiler[Nice to find out in Shippuden that that was all a lie too. :)]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10