• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Christa, I looked into the name origins of the characters a bit. Her name(s) are interesting in particular to me, given her whole thing of hiding her real identity. spoiler[Apparently, her fake ID "Christa Lenz" and her real name "Historia Reiss" may have more thought behind it than at first glance.] This is all speculation on my part, but it could have some impact on the deeper meanings of the series. TLDR: Christa might be Jewish. See below for why.

So to begin, "Christa/Krista" means "follower of Christ" and is a popular name in Northern Europe per Wikipedia, but the name obviously comes from "Christ," which ultimately means "messiah" or "anointed one" in Hebrew. Her last name "Lenz" is a German name that refers to springtime. Given her character, either Isayama has a sense of ironic humor, or he is hinting at something here.

As for her real name, her first name "Historia" is Greek in origin and means "history"..or, at least on the surface of things. I have heard another explanation that the word actually has roots in Hebrew as well and is derived from the word "hester," which means "hidden." If you look at the consonants of "hester," you can see that they share the same consonants as "historia." Given Jews and Greeks interacted with one another in ancient times, it should not surprise us that some words crossed over somehow. Feeding this back into her name, "Historia" potentially means "hidden" instead and would fit her character to a "T."

Her real last name, Reiss, apparently is a Germanic name that refers to rice fields. However, the name was used also by Askenazic Jews trying to hide from persecution and blend in with the local population. In addition, it was not uncommon for Jews to take Christian-sounding names under threat of persecution and death to escape or because of forced conversions.

So, although the other places I have seen this name stuff come up say that she is probably German, it is possible that she is Jewish like Levi apparently is, according to other threads I have seen online.

While this is circumstantial evidence at best, it would make sense, seeing that Isayama seems to like to do his homework on history and mythology. I am more than willing to be wrong about this, but I thought this might be some fun speculation.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
So, I just caught up on both the anime and the English-published manga, and I don't remember reading Ymir's backstory in the manga, am I forgetting it, or was it taken from further in?
durask

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Okay, this was quite a bit to unpack. There is at least one other kingdom out there, and they can turn people into Titans as punishment in a sort of execution act. Maybe it was not really relivant, but Ymir almost made it sound like Titans themselves can be called warriors when she talked about the threat of getting eaten by theirs'. Could kingdoms got this sort of Titan tech and start throwing them at each other in a huge war, Reiner and group blamed the main series kingdom for the war and agreed to help destroy their defences? I kind of feel that some hints might be in the uniforms of the people where Ymir was from, what they were influenced by like how the main series was Germany. I am not the most knowledgeable on world wars, but perhaps some allusions to real world conflicts, like how Germany was blamed for both world wars?

Don't really look like Germans.
More like WW1 Russians or Japanese.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote

The saying "Even monkeys fall from trees" can be applied very aptly to Commander Erwin in this episode. Doing the overly dramatic "charge" pose and getting every scout to follow your command is fine, but if you're going to lax about your surroundings with a horde of titans around you'll pay for it.

I'm wondering whether Ymir was lying when she said what she did to Christa midway through this episode. Given what went on over the past two weeks, I'm inclined to think it's half-true and half-false to spare Christa from the pain of betrayal. What's definitely not true is Armin's clever lie to provoke both Reiner and Bertholdt into changing their course of action. It appears he DID observe Bertholdt carefully over the training which Reiner had warned him about.

A very familiar face turns up at the end of the episode. Eren being typically Eren is going to be absolutely useless at this critical moment so Hannes probably has to save him by buying time for the emotional nut to get himself together to transform or fight like everyone else. Mikasa's probably got a haemorrhage and a few broken ribs over the last few episodes so it's up to the remainder of the able-bodied soldiers to do something about Reiner's improvised artillery and hungry indiscriminate Titans.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Man, this show just never lets up - which is why I love it so. Yeah, not buying Ymir's bs about needing to hand over Crista to stay alive for one little second.

My prediction is that Eren will go full Titan and wreak revenge on the one who ate his mom.

Can't wait until next week!
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this series delivers as always. I'm glad for the source material, but the anime does such a better job of telling this story in a entertaining way. I hope the anime reveals a little bit about what the hell is going on in the big picture in the last episode at least. I assume there hasn't been any confirmation on when the anime will continue yet?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I personally haven't heard anything that contradicts your assumption. Mind you, I'm not the most plugged in guy, either.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope the anime reveals a little bit about what the hell is going on in the big picture in the last episode at least.

It is curious as the show could a number of things during the adaptation of what is to be season finale.
The end of the first Season alluded to what would immediately kick off season 2's adaptation.

All we can do now is wait and see.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
That moment when you realise what Titan it would be that would walk through the steam/fog, you could feel the build up right before the reveal.

Clearly Ymir was lying, I think that she fears that a big attack is about to befall everyone in within the wall, and she felt that the easiest way to convince Christa was to try and break her spirit, that Christa would be as likely to sacrifice herself for Ymir as she would. She feared that if she tried saying something more truthful, then Christa would continue to try and convince her to stay back and try and protect others, something Ymir thinks is a lie they say to convince themselves that their life has worth. Ymir is thinking the best chance for herself and Christa, who she loves, to apparently survive for a long enough period of time would be outside of the walls, but even she is not sure that she could be convinced to go if Christa tried to convince her not to, because despite how she acts, Ymir is not actually that cruel.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
#37 End

Mikasa's big moment when she's going to confess and Eren completely ruins it by misinterpreting what she intends to say and going on to punch a Titan with his bare hands. Typical Eren, but it does reveal the second of his hidden abilities and the big reason why Reiner and co. are so desperate to capture him.

Conny and Hange must have identified the former's parents as having transformed into Titans, which explains why Conny had that look of sheer despair on his face when he made the report. We're not told how they came to their conclusion, but the Titan lying flat on Conny's house must have been the key reason.

So the Coordinate appears to be some kind of special directing beacon which can manipulate the simple mindsets of the regular Titans to perform the will of the owner. No idea why Reiner and Bertholdt thought Christa was the owner, but they'll have to try again in next year's adaptation.

Was that Hannes standing on the Beast Titan right at the very end? If it is, what an irony it would be that the one who played such a huge role in raising the three kids turns out to be the very thing they've sworn to destroy. I find it weird that in the Beast Titan form he finds the standard issue manoeuvre gear to be such a novelty when he's been using it all this time. Perhaps something different with the sample he was looking at?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm certainly glad to know we will only have to wait until 2018 for the next helping of AoT.

I'm curious as to why Reiner and Bertholdt didn't simply kill Eren once they knew he was the Coordinate? It seems to me that the ability is about the only way the humans have any chance against the Titans and with it gone, humanity would be doomed. Leaving him alive simply opens up the possibility that he will remain in human hands which has turned out to be the case.

Still hazy as to why Ymir feels she has some sense of obligation to Reiner and Bertholdt.

@ Harleyquin - interesting thought that it might be Hannes standing on the Beast Titan, but it's hard to tell.

It would be nice to know now which season in 2018 this is coming back and if it will be 1-cours or two, but I guess we'll just have to wait.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, I'm certainly glad to know we will only have to wait until 2018 for the next helping of AoT.

I'm curious as to why Reiner and Bertholdt didn't simply kill Eren once they knew he was the Coordinate? It seems to me that the ability is about the only way the humans have any chance against the Titans and with it gone, humanity would be doomed. Leaving him alive simply opens up the possibility that he will remain in human hands which has turned out to be the case.

Still hazy as to why Ymir feels she has some sense of obligation to Reiner and Bertholdt.

@ Harleyquin - interesting thought that it might be Hannes standing on the Beast Titan, but it's hard to tell.

It would be nice to know now which season in 2018 this is coming back and if it will be 1-cours or two, but I guess we'll just have to wait.

They need the Coordinate and they need whoever has it back alive with them to complete their mission. I thought it was made quite clear by this episode since it was mentioned in passing during the talky episode a few weeks back.

One thing I wasn't too sure about was why Bertholdt's recovery time is so much longer than Reiner's. Maybe it's the size? If Bertholdt could transform all of the Titans who were swarming all over Reiner would have been squashed underfoot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
@ Harleyquin - I understand that R. & B. were given the mission, but my question is: why do the Titans in general want the Coordinate alive? Why not simply kill him instead of trying to recover him? Unless I'm missing something, the humans cannot win unless they have somebody like Eren who can compel Titans to do his bidding. As long as a Coordinate is alive, he or she is a potential threat to the Titans. The smarter play seems to be simply to kill him so there is zero chance of him being in human hands. Unless, of course, killing a Coordinate simply means the ability moves to somebody else.

But even then, trying to bring a Coordinate back seems risky for Titans. If he discovers he can compel Titans to do his bidding, doesn't that mean he could control the Titans who would be around after he has been handed over? Unless there is some way to neutralize his Coordinate ability, I suppose.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
My guess is that since there are other settlements outside of the walls with confirmation that Ymir came from a city whose rulers can make/punished people into Titans but not control them and Reiner's hometown who take pride of being warriors and turn into Titans by their own will, i think Reiner's hometown need Eren's ability to win in a war they might be losing.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
@Harleyquin

Mikasa said what she needed to say and Eren understood her,and defended her from their mother's killer.

Hannes with a full head of hair lol,re-watch the ending tis a bone thrown to readers.

Conny recognized his mother.

Historia gets some much needed development next arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 94 of 107