• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Single Player

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
getchman wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

On a brighter note, Kokoro Connect and Tari Tari have become my favorite shows of this season. I like where Sword Art Online is going, but I am cautiously optimistic. I am not too happy with spoiler[Asuna leaving the front lines and becoming, what?, Kirito's housewife?]

being in the guild is stressful and no longer fun. she wants to leave for a bit and team up with Kirito. less stress and more fun

Yeah, thats not the problem.

The problem is that she's being dueled over. Again

Its just like a real MMO... Nobody wants the hot girl to leave their guild! I remember back in my WoW days, top guilds would give hot girls officer positions and free loot just because of their appearance. Seems Sword Art Online is no different.

Except in WoW, most of those "hot girls" were actually guys in their mid-twenties... LOL!

Conan-san wrote:
In fact, for SAO, you could say that we're out of the Stand Alone Complex!

Thank you, try the veil!

He'll be here all week, folks!

I continue to be an unabashed Tari Tari fan. It has been consistently excellent, working each character's personal bit of pathos into a nice, compact pair of episodes while laying out the stepping stones to lead us to the next person's moment of crisis, frequently with a very deft hand. I also like that it doesn't solve everything for each character inside their own little arc. spoiler[Taichi made it to the Nationals, thanks to Konatsu and the formation of the Tari Tari club, but largely because of Wakana's presence in that club and the effect that had on the adults, but he still has to pass the entrance exams to get his athletic scholarship and move on towards his goals in life. Wakana reached a point of closure with her mother's death and allowed music back into her heart, but the act of finishing the composition her mother started is still soundly kicking her butt. Sawa came to grips with the fact that her size is probably going to prevent her from being able to follow her dreams the way she wanted and her relationship with her father looks to be improved, but she still doesn't know what she will be doing in a year or if she will be able to find some way to take her love of horses to the next level. (Wakana's suggestion that she become a trainer was a very good one, but I think she should look into show jumping and other Olympic style equestrian events. I don't know if they'll go there, but if they do it would be awesome!) And Wien seems to have gotten over the initial shock of getting all of his letters returned from Austria, but he still doesn't know why Jan is not able to receive his letters, he just decided that he needs to keep hope in his heart that his little friend is doing well and will be able to get his letters some day. As for Konatsu, she is still searching for the final answer to the question Wakana asked her, and to prove to the Vice Principle that music does love her, if even just a little bit, when she does it together with friends who love her. That lesson looks to be the one that the Vice Principal learned a long time ago from a certain classmate who pushed for the formation of a choir club in order to make beautiful music with her friends, much like a certain diminutive spitfire with a mean "curry punch". ]
Now that it appears that the school is facing some sort of crisis, it is the Vice Principal's turn at the wheel of pathos. She has gone from a complete and total witch to a very sympathetic character over the past few episodes. I feel that Bamboo's wish when she moved Tari Tari into the top 3: "Now if only the series would give me a reason to stop hating the vice principal." might be coming true. It has been a wonderful journey with these well rounded and, yes, cheesy at times, characters. They have come to life for me this summer. I will miss them when the series ends, at least until Sentai puts out a nice shiny BluRay disc so I can bring them home and visit them whenever my heart feels the need for a good, happy cry...

Gawd! I'm such a sap! Wink
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yeah, thats not the problem.

The problem is that she's being dueled over. Again

You have a point, but calling it "infantilization" is going way too far. From what I've seen from the guilds, the more serious ones seem to have an almost military structure going on. So Asuna may not have a say in this matter if the guild leader decides that she can't have a break and she doesn't want to leave the guild altogether. As I see it that guild leader has simply found an opportunity to recruit Kirito.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everyone on SAO the recent development on Asuna is so stupid and that spoiler[she's being dueled over and not allowed to make a decision on her own] makes my blood boil.

My current list goes like this
1. Saint Seiya Omega - Yes, I'm digging it like a little girl even if it's garbage ( and I love it all the most especially sspoiler[ince Shiryu and Hyoga showed up])
2. Binbougami/ Polar Bear Cafe - Something I love about Binbougami (asides from Momiji and Ranmaru, they're too awesome) is that it shows that regardless of Ichiko's huge luck, she's still miserable and lonely. And I just caught up with Polar Bear's Cafe and I'm in love. Like Bamboo I love the Penguin episodes, but also the Polar Bear episodes
3. Uta Koi - This show makes my week <3
4. Natsuyuki Rendezvous - I'm sure this show topped my list when it was a phantasmagoric love triangle, but we've now possitively spent half the series with the body-swap stuff and I'm getting tired of it. I agree with Bamboo that every progress made feels moot and I'm still not sure of how things will go on if/when Hazuki gets his body back. Besides, all the time spent in fairytale land seems lost because the progress made there is quite insignificant to the biggest picture. But I'm still liking the drama and the whole "moving on" message on it
5. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita - The Assistant arc was quite boring, but the latest episode was pure gold. I love fairies in their creepy cuteness and weird naïve forgetfulness
6. Sword Art Online - I'm glad we're now in the main storyline and I loved seeing Klein (I think I like him more than Kirito or Asuna) but this "duel to see who gets the girl" irks me to no end
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen episode 9 of SAO yet, and I'm certainly getting some mixed messages here.

Some people think the episode is awesome, some think it's misogynistic to Asuna...hm. I can say that spoiler[Asuna being dueled over like a trophy] sounds VERY unappealling and definitely leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

On the other hand, this episode apparently has Klein, which is always good as I need more subtext for my KleinxKirito slash
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I haven't seen episode 9 of SAO yet, and I'm certainly getting some mixed messages here.

Some people think the episode is awesome, some think it's misogynistic to Asuna...hm. I can say that spoiler[Asuna being dueled over like a trophy] sounds VERY unappealling and definitely leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

On the other hand, this episode apparently has Klein, which is always good as I need more subtext for my KleinxKirito slash

Asuna wants to get away fromm the stresses of being vice commander of her guild and party with Kirito to blow off some steam. logically, the commander says that loosing such an important individual is a bad idea. fight me: if you win, i will permit Asuna a leave of absence. if you lose, you join us.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
But why Kirito the one fighting and not Asuna? It makes no sense for her to no engage in the duel at all--the entire damn duel is about her decision in the first place!
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
But why Kirito the one fighting and not Asuna? It makes no sense for her to no engage in the duel at all--the entire damn duel is about her decision in the first place!

well, watch ep 9. my guess is that because of what Kirito accomplished during the episode, the guild leader see's an opportunity to recruit a very strong and very gifted player.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

To me, it seems that the guild leader is interested in Kirito and not so much Asuna and is just exploiting the chance given by Asuna's request for a leave of absence.

angelmcazares wrote:
spoiler[Asuna leaving the front lines and becoming, what?, Kirito's housewife?]

Why did you get the impression Asuna wanted to spoiler[leave the front lines?] Thats not what she wants to do at all, spoiler[she just wants to spend her time on the front lines with Kirito and not her guild.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and on someone's recommendation, I watched another episode of So, I Can't Play H! While I appreciate that the scenery has shifted and now we get to kick it in Lisara's world, I had to repeat my resounding "No!" after watching a maid ride someone's face.

I had given up on this show mid-way thru eppie 4 due to boredom. Thank you for giving me a reason to reappraise this clearly awesome title.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
@zensunni: Taichi didn't make it to Nationals. He got in the best 8, but he needed to be in the top 4 to advance. That's why he was bummed out about it afterwards.

I think people are overreacting about Asuna. She's more than capable of taking care of herself and she did step in during that first duel. The challengers merely had more interest in Kirito.

Seeing as how Total Eclipse was at the bottom last week I wasn't surprised to see it dropped this week. I do like the show but it's one I wish I could like more and be able to tell people to go watch it. This is mostly because the games (which I just finished the other day) are amazing and I want Total Eclipse to succeed so we can get animes of the original trilogy.

One thing, though: you say all the characters are not-so-nice-people but that's not really true. Sure all those Soviet brats need to get eaten by the BETA asap, but Inia is an innocent, Vincent is a huge bro, so is VG, Stella's pretty chill, and as antagonistic as Tarisa is, her issues are with specific people, not nationalities.

Oh well. Too bad no more mecha on this list since you're not covering Lagrange season 2 for some reason.
mnordhoff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been unhappy with how SAO treats Asuna for a while now, since one of her own guild members treated Kirito as if he was in command and completely ignored her. (This was probably during the murder-mystery episodes?)

This duel annoys me enough that I've lost a lot of interest in the show. The guild leader's and Kirito's actions are both totally justifiable: The guild leader is glad to find an excuse to fight Kirito, learn more about him, and maybe even recruit him. Kirito just figures a fight will be simpler and less of a hassle than arguing about it. If Asuna would just seem a bit angrier, I'd tolerate it a lot better. (I don't like duels anyway.)

I'll probably keep watching in hope that the writers will surprise me -- I hadn't been expecting much out of episode 9, either. [edit: ...and episode 9 was mostly much better than I expected. To be clear.]

Last edited by mnordhoff on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Razzuel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, I'm surprised you didn't touch on how Asuna is being treated and portrayed in your review.

Asuna is supposed to be a strong, independent female character, but lately she's been a joke; whenever she's with Kirito her personality resets and she fully enters stereotype mode. Before the battle she starts talking about cooking again; during the battle, she does nothing of importance, since Kirito is a Gary Stu; and finally, after the battle with the boss, Kirito gets knocked out for mere seconds and suddenly Asuna is crumbling over on top of him crying. Furthermore, we have Kirito fighting over Asuna again like she's some sort of object to do something that is completely inconsequential. She's her own person; she can fight her own battles. Also, they're in a video game. You don't want to be in a guild anymore? There's a menu option for that.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
she is a master cook and it was lunch time. she kept the boss busy while Kirito spec'd himself for dual wielding. the guy she likes nearly killed himself. should she just not give a shit? she does not want to permanently leave the guild, just a temporary hiatus.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

To me, it seems that the guild leader is interested in Kirito and not so much Asuna and is just exploiting the chance given by Asuna's request for a leave of absence.

angelmcazares wrote:
spoiler[Asuna leaving the front lines and becoming, what?, Kirito's housewife?]

Why did you get the impression Asuna wanted to spoiler[leave the front lines?] Thats not what she wants to do at all, spoiler[she just wants to spend her time on the front lines with Kirito and not her guild.]

I am not sure what exactly she is going to do next. But based on spoiler[how scared she was after Kirito almost died defeating the boss,] wanting to leave the front lines for good would not be a big stretch. And pairing up exclusively Kirito might lead to different things. Asuna might want to become something like a housewife, retire to her state or fight bosses alongside Kirito.

But I guess we will find out what happens in the next episodes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it seems to me that to a lot of people strong independant female character = total bitch.

So what if Asuna is a good cook? She likes to cook. Who cares if cooking is a stereotypical thing a 'weak' female does? She can have whatever hobby she wants. So what if she worries about the guy she likes? Isn't that normal regardless of gender?

Last edited by Vaisaga on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20