• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ixion Saga DT (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I thought the opening episode was great. I laughed numerous times:

"Does that mean you're older than me? You look really young. Like about ten."
"I'm eight."
"That's a crime! There's a crime underway, right here!"

"What are you gonna do all by yourself. We've got two people here!"
"Not three?"
"Wait, are you really strong, too?"

And I loved how the start and ending were connected by someone charging up a powerful attack and getting punished for it. It's nice to see the hero learning from his mistakes.

Those boots were indeed hilarious, as was his rationale for getting them. And as one of the previewers said, it's like the boots were designed for kicking someone in the 'nads, what with the perfectly-placed horns and all.

I don't know how the series is going to fare from here on out, but the first episode definitely has me hooked.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I thought the opening episode was great. I laughed numerous times:

"Does that mean you're older than me? You look really young. Like about ten."
"I'm eight."
"That's a crime! There's a crime underway, right here!"

"What are you gonna do all by yourself. We've got two people here!"
"Not three?"
"Wait, are you really strong, too?"

I thought those parts were funny too, they managed to make those parts work.
tetron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
so I've been wondering about the VA, are they mostly from Gintama VAs?

cause half the peopel sound really REALLY familiar Anime dazed
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
tetron wrote:
so I've been wondering about the VA, are they mostly from Gintama VAs?

cause half the peopel sound really REALLY familiar Anime dazed

Just click on the Encyclopedia page, and you can check yourself.

I do not really know Gintama, but from what I can tell: The character Sandgren was done by the same as Hijikata Toshirou, Gustave is Okita Sougo, Lord Jugglerback is Toujou Ayumu, and Leon is Sakata Gintoki. But I don't really think that is saying much, they can do a lot of different roles.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I would *guess* that this is, as someone previously suggested, a The Last Starfighter set-up: the game is intended to test/analyze players. Remember the conversation that Flora had with Kon. She said she'd been looking for a while to find someone like him. If you notice the clock in Kon's room, they talked for around 8 hours (9PM-5AM) before she asked him for a "favor".

As for the thing most precious to her, I'm wondering if that's the Princess. I'm wondering what's up with her, too, as she doesn't act like any 8 year old I've ever seen. Razz

But yeah: nice shoes, Kon.

This series reminds me of a cross between Slayers and Those Who Hunt Elves. If it can keep this vibe up, I'll stick around for the whole series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
This show does share some staff with Gintama, like the director and script-writer. Here's a full list:

Please note that it does not include Gintama' (the sequel), only the original.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
This show does share some staff with Gintama, like the director and script-writer. Here's a full list:

Please note that it does not include Gintama' (the sequel), only the original.

From first impressions on seeing images of the show it did not look amazing, but with some of the staff from Gintama they did a pretty good job with episode one, especially when showcasing the weaknesses of special attacks. Comedy is doing great this season.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

spoiler[DT stuck serving the Princess. Not that he was happy about it...
Erec was taking his loss really hard. Kinda felt sorry for him.
That sword DT got from Erec was really impressive.
Well, that Erec sure has a lot of soldiers and weapons at his disposal.
I was only half surprised/half "I knew it" that that idiot could use the swords power.
Erec vs DT again and with the same outcome as last time.]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It's not exactly surprising for a lot of the same cast in Gintama to be in Ixion Saga if the same director is working on it.

You see this a lot not just with anime but with live action film too. If the director has a good relationship with cast members he worked with before then he is naturally going to want to work with them again. It's the same with using the same staff.
Fiatsu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
This show caught me by surprise, i really enjoyed the first episode and traps are always fun.
Srsly any Gay or semi gay character always makes a show instantly a +1.

Looking forward to the rest of this series and BTOOOM!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
It's not exactly surprising for a lot of the same cast in Gintama to be in Ixion Saga if the same director is working on it.

You see this a lot not just with anime but with live action film too. If the director has a good relationship with cast members he worked with before then he is naturally going to want to work with them again. It's the same with using the same staff.

The cast for the series was actually determined via auditions for this series. (Written in a magazine interview.) The fact that a handful of them were also in Gintama is just because the staff determined them to be the best fit for the roles.

In the second episode I was wondering how they were going to translate all the "tama" jokes. Looks like they were able to get most of them into the subtitles. ^^;
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
well with the blatant yaoi ending and the fanboy crew in white suites and tight pants the parody doesn't end with gaming and anime in general.

at least the lead has some self confidence which speaks highly of the series if nothing else.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

The cast for the series was actually determined via auditions for this series. (Written in a magazine interview.) The fact that a handful of them were also in Gintama is just because the staff determined them to be the best fit for the roles.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't trying to say they were hand picked (although I understand how my post sounded like that).

I am sure they were chosen because the director & production team felt they were best for the roles. However even with auditions there might be a little bias in some of the choices (and I am not saying that is a bad thing at all, I am very happy with the cast). Admittedly I have no way of knowing this, so it could just be a coincidence.

On another note thank you for the info.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

That was quite the ED, a full on BL spread of the bishi villains. The show in general is fun, his defiance just him trying to against the tendency of game heroes to be lead through some plot, or manipulated into something. Funny since he seems to be being manipulated into the role. I also noticed we will not get any actual romatic interests in the group, one being an 8 year old that he is shocked at the idea of mariage, the other being an incredibly hot and somewhat willing trap.

The lopsided jokes worked for an episode, but hopefully no more, who would have guessed those stupid shoes were a big part of their journey.
mad mac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I can't quite decide if I like this show or not. There's a couple really good gags per episode but they're spaced out enough that my attention drifts in and out. It at least amuses me enough for now that I'll keep watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13