• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chi's Puffs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
I thought it looked more like a Rasengan rather than a Kamehameha... maybe they got their anime mixed up?

Ok... after looking at the collection again, are you sure $3k a month? Is this like Canadian dollars or US? And is 3K the average or the peak amount? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good collection, just small for a 3k a month type of collection.
james039

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Heh. So the guy has 3k to blow on anime per month, yet his TV pic has him showing off an illegal rip of Code Geass R2 from the Japanese TV station TBS.
Just lost my respect right there. If ya got that sort of money, buy the DVD/Blu-rays.

So apparently anyone who buys a big TV, and buys anime, has to only buy anime? Give me a break.

It would be a different story if the entire room was a large TV with stacks of DVD-R's and portable hard drives with a fansub on the screen, but then that would never have made it onto shelf life ^^;;
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
T
Bamboo, if you're reading this: I'm interested in sending pics. Do I just send the basic e-mail, with the pictures as attachments? (apologies if this is a silly question, I just want to make sure)

Yup! Just send it in to the address at the bottom of the column.

Regarding sending in video, I don't really want to deal with the raw video, but if you upload it onto Youtube or Vimeo or something else first, I'll post it.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Why??

I've given one example with the Keanu signing.

Why him? Because he's well known? Available? What about open casting to find someone who looks like Spike?

Thus, the "let's make this consumer friendly as possible with little regard to the anime itself" has begun as I see it.

Yes, the movie needs to recoup finances when released, but at what cost?

As I said, it's now time Hollywood ruins my expectation for this movie to be bad.

There's hope, right?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Bamboo wrote:
What I wasn't really expecting was for the script to be so insultingly bad.

I'm quite surprised at this statement, simply because history has shown your expectation has rarely, if ever, been met with previous franchise releases.

=/ I was actually hoping it'd be really, really good. Everyone on the web was saying how bad it would be, but I held my ground and kept saying, "No, it'll be really good! It'll be really great! Don't judge a movie before it's out yet! Goku's hair looks awesome!"

And then it pretty much spit in my face.

I was really gung-ho about the changes they were making in the characters. I thought the updated outfits were really great, and I thought they did a good job of making the manga characters more "real life." I had so much hope!!!!!!!!!

*sigh*
zatheus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
My friend dragged me to see the Dragonball movie, and even after reading all the reviews and telling her there was a 99% chance that this movie would just be a waste of money, she still wanted to go. I told her she had to pay for both of us and if it turned out it was a good movie or better I would pay her for both of our tickets afterward. I won and lost about two hours of my life. Laughing Then again I waste hours of my life all the time, I'm just glad I didn't waste my money.
I wish Heroic Age was better written but it's still a decent series. I enjoyed the battles and the music that accompanied it. Story was lacking but its not horrid.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
Ok... after looking at the collection again, are you sure $3k a month? Is this like Canadian dollars or US? And is 3K the average or the peak amount? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good collection, just small for a 3k a month type of collection.

3,000.00 CAD = 2,747.35 USD

Not a huge difference. I don't understand how it's possible to spend that much on anime every month - unless maybe he travels to a con some distance away every month. And he did say he likes cons.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Is he like, related to Vu Nguyen, co-founder of crunchyroll?

I know you were probably joking, but Nguyen is a very common Vietnamese name.

Yeah, and not just a very common name, but the most common name.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Those are some damn nice shelves.
nagato316

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

To think Hollywood would ever do justice for a series is difficult to believe. And this, Bamboo, is why I cringe that Cowboy Bebop will be tarnished.

I hope, and hope, it will not be, but the evidence is already showing me otherwise. Keanu Reeves as Spike. While I've nothing against Keanu, I just can't see the comparison. If they've, meaning the studio, goofed this badly already, I can only shiver at the actors to be named for the remaining roles.

Can you say "Megan Fox as Faye Valentine?" Anime hyper
*ducks flaming garbage and other blunt flying objects*

Kidding, of course! But I fear that this is the direction toward which the casting execs working on live-action Bebop are leaning--"Heck, she's Hollywood's 'It Girl' right now, and let's be honest, she was a BIG reason why guys still went to see the train wreck that was Transformers 2!" is probably how they're pitching her in some boardroom.

irishninja wrote:
Hrmm. So Bamboo, would Dragonball: Evolution be a good contender for a drinking game movie? "Hey, they said 'Dragonball,' everyone take a drink!" Wink

Alcohol poisoning (which I fear is the level of imbibing one needs for this to be "enjoyable") might actually give one the impression that DB:E bears some resemblance to _entertainment._ But semi-seriously, perhaps there is enough "material" in DB:E to rent this, get together with a bunch of friends and MST3K the hell out of it? The opportunities for snarky running commentary throughout must be endless...

BTW...great reviews as always, Bamboo.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
But the biggest problem is, obviously the people involved with Evolution didn't even understand the character of Goku at all.

Goku is supposed to be a happy-go-lucky hillbilly with no formal education and a general lack of social graces. But, at the same time, he doesn't care about social graces. He's just looking for a good, fun fight. He's pure and unconcerned with society.

Goku is not some down-on-his-luck high school outcast looking to gain popularity. He doesn't "crush" on anyone, as romance doesn't mean anything to him. He even had to ask Kuririn what "marriage" means. He married Chi Chi simply because he promised to as a child. In all likelihood, he doesn't even have sexual desires. How he ended up having children is beyond me. He is truly alien in every way.

So, if they couldn't get something so essential as Goku right, how would any of us expect them to get any other aspect right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:

In the days before box sets, you'd be getting one DVD a time at $25-$30 a DVD. That's about 100 DVDs a month, at about 5-7 DVDs for a 26 episode series, or about 14-20 series a month, with a few movies thrown in. I agree that seems like a big number even for a collection his size (though with many longer-running series, you could have even bigger number of DVDs per show). My first question would be, how many months has he been buying that stuff?

And my second would be... are there really that many series and movies that are worth actually owning??? I mean, let's say it's only 10 series a month, that's 120 series a year. I mean, I love anime, but if you buy the stuff because you want to be able to re-watch them every once in a while... where do you get that much time!?
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I think I recognize the screencap of Lelouch in the first picture. It looks like the last episode of R2, spoiler[after Lelouch has been stabbed by "Zerozaku", and is laying on his dais]. Very powerful scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nobinobita

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
"I'll be honest with you, I think the outfits that the characters wear in the manga are pretty dumb anyway. I'd take a bad-ass pleather-clad James Marsters over some tunic-wearing green dude any day."

This sentiment hurts my feelings.

: (
Aikoh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I have been interested in the Shinsengumi since middle school because of Rurouni Kenshin and was a little curious about Moeyo Ken because despite the numerous games, movies and manga (and, of course, the taiga drama), there aren't really too many anime about them. But I'm disappointed to hear that it's as bad as a lot of other Shinsengumi enthusiasts have said, and none of them tend to talk about this title at all.

That's a shame, since I thought the concept and the character designs were cute. Guess I'm just going to stick to Peace Maker Kurogane and Gintama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4