• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Strange Anime Cuisines

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Tae Shimura's food from Gintama once caused amnesia.

That. Also, the dragon stew from Slayers. That thing was craaaaazy.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Wait... are you talking about the one Xellos made or the one they had to go dragoning for?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
among those the only i know of them is sanae's bread indeed really many form it with combine with that "jam" for rainbow bread "uh-oh".

yet her hasband eat bread one time ate it mouth full?!

sure many kind of creative foods hey i'm also bit creative on foods like cheeseburger with peanut butter, mayo, ketchup, steak sauce, & cheetos on burger.

yet yesterday i put french fries on my big mac burger.
Alph4Xerxes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised there's no mention of Hagu and Yamada's cooking from Honey and Clover.

For those who haven't seen it or don't remember, they're responsible for such culinary atrocities as 'pumpkin mint ice cream' and 'chocolate and mushroom curry'.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
C-ko's and Tendo Akane's "food."

Actually had a taste of dog and chicken fried intestines before, but not cat. Gotta have cast-iron stomach. Laughing

Here's an old funny story. Back in 2nd grade, some friends and I were playing restaurant. On the menu, there's this thing called dog doo-doo. Wondering what it was, we ordered it. There came a neat plate carrying tightly-wrapped banana leaves. Then we unwrapped it.................. Oh so much regret and fun for all to be had!
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote
Anime News Network wrote:
The old poll: Last week's poll asked what traditional Japanese artform you'd like to study. Here's the full results!

8. Waka (Japanese short poetry, such as haiku)

Well, possibly the ANN staffer thinks that 'waka' covers all Japanese short poetic forms?
As Nihon Bungaku Daijiten says, '卽ち三十一音の短歌形式を主として、それ以前に起つた長歌・旋頭歌・片歌(各別項)等は含んでゐるが、短歌形式が勢力を占めて後に起つた連歌・俳諧・狂歌・川柳・新體詩(各別項)等は和歌の範圍から除いてゐる', actually, the term/genre waka doesn't include haiku usually.

mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Wait... are you talking about the one Xellos made or the one they had to go dragoning for?

The Dragoning one.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
What about Anthy's Curry, the one that causes bizarre filler episodes to happen?
Taskforce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
What about Seraphim from Is This a Zombie? Nobody can even live through her cooking. Except for the main zombie protagonist. He doesn't exactly live through it though more than get revived after dying from it. Except the one time she really tries hard and its edible, yet disgusting, with miniature swords to avoid.

There is also the girls from Persona 4. Nobody should be subject to Mystery Food X! Though that is covered better in the game(s) than the anime.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
This is a great list! As soon as I saw the title, I knew Moyashimon would be on here; it was really good to see it in the #1 spot!

I think some people are confusing 'strange cuisine' for 'terrible cooking'. There was a list previously on terrible cooking. As for strange food (not inherently bad food), the only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is Kobato's 'hot pot', in which she puts chocolate, hot sauce, and all sorts of vegetables in at the wrong time with some chopped and some not. And somehow it turned out good.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Somehow,I doubt that anyone would invite those like Orihime Inoue over to cook for them for Thanksgiving dinner. Or if they did,they just might need to get a stomach pump ready for their "cuisine." I doubt that these characters would do well on either the Japanese or American versions of "Iron Chef." They might cause the judges to run for the bathroom.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunflower01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd be crazy enough to try Orihime's cooking. The combos sound odd, but who knows, the results may actually taste good. ^^

Doubting that counts as cuisine, but it is food: the Pelollipop (Sket Dance). Miso's only the most harmless flavour there. Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Not much of a fan of Makoto Shinkai's work but I voted the Cat one (don't remember the title) basically because it was about cats
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The idea of surprise apples weirded me out, for two reasons.

1) don't want to eat an apple that had a face (contradicting all the meat I eat that does have faces)

2) Scaring the devil out of them is part of the preparation. Who wants this face on your fruit?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2