• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto Shippūden DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I also agree that I prefer the more serious tone, though, I think that Kishimoto pretty stopped providing humor after the Search for Tsunade arc.

A C+ is rather apporiate for this batch of episodes. The pacing never gets better until the spoiler[Hidan and Kakuzu ]arc and it's a pain to watch. Even though Naruto is my favorite series and I was watching 7 or 8 episodes at a time, I was simply amazed that Pierrot truly made Naruto into Naruto Ball Z. I can't imagine only watching 4 episodes at a time when it comes to the first 2 arcs.

But
it does actually gets better during the first filler arc and there's some material in the subsequentspoiler[ Hidan and Kakuzu] arc and later on in the spoiler[Search for Itachi] arc that was handled even better than in the manga. Episode 82 being one of the best episodes in the entire franchise, even though most of it isn't even in the manga.

And yeah, the dub is great. It'll be the main reason as to why I'll rewatch these episodes when I buy the box sets.

jr0904 wrote:
disney has more FCC restrictions than CN

Disney makes up their own standards. Not the FCC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll agree with the others, Shippuden is much better than the original. Though at the beginning to mid of the series it does take its sweet time doing things, like this volume and episodes coming up. But as of recent episodes, thanks to Viz's Naruto site, the series is starting to resemble somewhat the Dragon Ball Kai feel. spoiler[ Especially the latest Pain fight. I thought that the anime would drag on forever when I first read the manga chapters, but it was only a few episodes long. Also the Sauske and Itachi fight was only a couple of episodes. ] And as a lot of cases with me, the manga is superior to the anime in my opinion. Though fight scenes in the anime look superior in the anime.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Hidan and Kakuzu arc and the majority of the canon material afterwards that Studio Pierrot handled was done in great execution that outdoes the manga in some cases. Particularly, the fights. Even with the recent Simulcast material, I've been blown away with how well it's done. The early half up till the Sasuke retrieval material is very sluggish. Overall, it's not as bad as its earlier half, but I'd wait for the boxsets. I still need to watch the dub as well.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
I lol at people talking about xd's edits when now there are none.

not talking about killing,death is one thing cause disney has more FCC restrictions than CN , but when thay start renaming justus and cutting out parts of epic epsiodes, that's when it's too much. And in later epsiodes it's goinna get more violent and more sever edits will have to be made. Better off to skip the TV boradcast.

Which is not true they don't censor death. They've said countless times. They even left in when Deidara was saying he was trying not to kill Gaara. Also they renamed one jutsu get over it. He only does it that one time.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Shippuuden is what killed me from watching the anime (I didn't watch any of the filler in between, having started late enough that I had five billion warnings to not bother). After about forty episodes of boring tree jumping in a canyon I gave up and switched to the manga, which I am enjoying infinitely more.
This is something I recommend to all. Although I do enjoy the canon parts of Shippuden.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
The smarter people wait for the three disc sets, the REALLY smart people wait for the six disc sets, like what they're doing now with the original Naruto and re-releasing it in six discs instead of three.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
I lol at people talking about xd's edits when now there are none.

not talking about killing,death is one thing cause disney has more FCC restrictions than CN , but when thay start renaming justus and cutting out parts of epic epsiodes, that's when it's too much. And in later epsiodes it's goinna get more violent and more sever edits will have to be made. Better off to skip the TV boradcast.

Which is not true they don't censor death. They've said countless times. They even left in when Deidara was saying he was trying not to kill Gaara. Also they renamed one jutsu get over it. He only does it that one time.

i dont cause i'll dont not watch the tv broadcast after seeing them and go with the dvds BUT a hell of a lot of those hardcore otakus were pulling their hairs cause of these mild edits. epsecially in ep 1 at the beginning where parts of naruto and saskue's meeting were skipped. they were mad as hell and give up on subs completely.

i understand what your getting at believe me cause i'm a hardcore dubber, but this tv has be really paronid and worried cause on how much edits will disney wll have to do. it's those edits that made me watch the sub version on hulu which is the first anime i EVER watched sub and it got me concerned about the TV releases of the immortal duo arc as well the itachi vs saskue arc cause a lot of content will have to be blocked to avoid a parental frenzy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

Depends on what you mean. From what I watched on the TV broadcast, they have censored death in some episodes. The corpses were groaning even though they are supposed to be dead. They do say the word death/kill, usually in a figure of speech or like you said, trying not to do it on someone. So if we continue to see more dead bodies, we'll keep hearing dead bodies groan.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

Depends on what you mean. From what I watched on the TV broadcast, they have censored death in some episodes. The corpses were groaning even though they are supposed to be dead. They do say the word death/kill, usually in a figure of speech or like you said, trying not to do it on someone. So if we continue to see more dead bodies, we'll keep hearing dead bodies groan.

which will mean less people will watch the tv broadast and more will stick to the DVDs or worse go to those video sites and watch them and it's gonna give those anti dubbers more reason to cry fowl.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Haterater wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

which will mean less people will watch the tv broadast and more will stick to the DVDs or worse go to those video sites and watch them and it's gonna give those anti dubbers more reason to cry fowl.

Some people know there may be mild edits, but it is appropriate that they do so. Next to that...I can watch it without a problem, the broadcast is on at a good time, and when I feel like watching the DVDs (or purchase them), then I will. My only annoyances with edits is only, and only if it distracts from the original storyline in some way or another...*shrugs*...Not a big deal.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
While I am for a serious toned story which is what Shippuden is supposed to be, it's the pacing that's bothersome, the 1st series, I can understand because that was practically an introductory story, even the manga was filled with lots of dialogue so I don't think it was affected as much as people said before the filler arcs, on top of that, one of the reasons why Naruto is a good show is because the Naruto world is consistent, it's not random like most shounen anime, everything has a reason, the characters have their own histories, even the Naruto world has its history that explain why things go on as they are, so it was written with a point and you can't say 'the writer could have done that to the story'.

But even so, Shippuden does have filler moments that bore you, especially if you've read the manga first, it's supposed to be where the real action begins like in the manga. I hope Naruto: Shippuden gets the Dragonball Z treatment with Dragonball Kai. I think all long-running anime deserve to be edited down to be faster paced.

When DBZ came to the US, it required changes which in my opinion were good, they paced it up and put intense battle music during BORING musicless scenes. This is the only time when dub edits should intervene, that's what made Dragonball Z more interesting to western audiences. Bleach also needs the filler-removal treatment. or at least reduce the bount arc to like 5 episodes maximum since they already appeared when the story went back on track.
Barciad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
Here's a tip, pretend the fillers don't exist. Once the canoical work from part one has finished, switch to part two. I had the good fortune to get into Naruto late enough to be able to do that.
However, an even better idea would be to avoid the anime altogether and just concentrate on the manga.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
Here's a tip, pretend the fillers don't exist. Once the canoical work from part one has finished, switch to part two. I had the good fortune to get into Naruto late enough to be able to do that.
However, an even better idea would be to avoid the anime altogether and just concentrate on the manga.

That's easier said than done, some of us want to watch the animated version, we wanna see the characters move and hear them speak.

Besides, Naruto was easy for us because the huge fillers came AFTER the main story, that's what made it easier, but what about something where fillers are scattered throughout the course of a series? like Bleach had an entire story arc of fillers right after the Rescue Arc and then finally moved on, and when it did, the Bounts still made appearances and they kept referencing the Bount arc making me have to watch the fillers to get their presence, and then shortly after did go back to the main story they ended up doing fillers again, which is how I totally abandoned the Bleach anime.

But now Dragonball Kai is out, and when it gets an English dub, I am so gonna be into that. I'm holding out buying the DVD's until Kau gets dubbed and released. All anime that have had the slow-paced treatment should be edited down and re-released.
Araki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:49 am Reply with quote
Naruto Shippuden's excessively serious tone makes it almost a self-parody. That's a serious issue with the manga and made even worse in the anime, where most of the time it seems like Pierrot tries too much. I can't help but find myself laughing and facepalming at some supposedly dramatic moments.
Anyway, it should all be pretty convincing if you're a young boy unfamiliar with a whole lot of better, older shonen series.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Darksharingan, the Bount Arc of Bleach wasn't bad at all. I saw it on AS and it was good. Most people like it as some of the better shounen filler, especially in comparison to Naruto's Filler Hell. You should've have viewed it as some terrible thing to watch.

On Disney X D's edits, even Toonami was a bit strict on Naruto at first. Over time Toonami loosened up, and we can expect the same with Disney X D. Hell, I hear Disney X D's run of Shippuden is actually less censored than Toonami's start of Naruto(see Naruto and Sasuke accidentally kissing early in on Naruto? Censored, only shown in an OP like 2 years later).

Cartoon Network was hardly perfect with no censorship. If you recall, Toonami renamed some Jutsus too. "Loopy Jutsu" and "elixir" anyone? It's not fair of y'all to ignorantly attack only Disney's censorship of Naruto and ignore Toonami's own censorship of Naruto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3