• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legendary Pictures Licenses Godzilla Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darksharingan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
Not that I'm angry over a Godzilla movie in the works, maybe it can be done by America so long as they keep some Japanese flavor in it but I wanna know what this news has to do with anime or manga. I know TOHO creates animation as well as live-action but still Godzilla never had an anime adaptation; just a God-awful American remake in the late 90's.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
Am I the only person who absolutely LOVES Ferris Bueller Vs. Godzilla?I think it's a great movie!

As for the new film, eh, sure, I'll see it eventually. Avatar proved that a decent movie can be made, despite a horrible plot, through great special effects.

Of course, this is just more evidence that Hollywood is more interested in buying ideas than actually making any of their own. At least Avatar did that much.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
Avatar proved that a decent movie can be made, despite a horrible plot, through great special effects.

If you think the plot is horrible then why do you like it? If all it takes for you to like a movie is special effects rather than substance then I can imagine your movie list to be mostly big dumb popcorn movies.

A movie can have the best CGI but if it has a crappy story then how can it be good? It shows one does not care about the artistic side of and just prefers pretty pictures.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
bj_waters wrote:
Avatar proved that a decent movie can be made, despite a horrible plot, through great special effects.

If you think the plot is horrible then why do you like it? If all it takes for you to like a movie is special effects rather than substance then I can imagine your movie list to be mostly big dumb popcorn movies.

A movie can have the best CGI but if it has a crappy story then how can it be good? It shows one does not care about the artistic side of and just prefers pretty pictures.

I didn't say I liked it, I just said it was decent. It was a nice roller coaster ride, but I'll probably never watch it again. I'll admit that I'm not holding my breath for Godzilla's plot, but I imagine with today's CG, it will be entertaining. If the story happens to be good, that's a bonus, one that Avatar didn't have.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The only way it could be a success if Godzilla causes more damage the the army and no giant piles of fish with the comment "That's a lot of fish".
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
Am I the only person who absolutely LOVES Ferris Bueller Vs. Godzilla?

You're not the only one. I loved it too (regardless of Americanization methods) and I even got a VHS copy of it for X-Mas when I was about 12 years of age. I look forward to seeing the new "Godzilla" continuity. After all, it's been long since a "Godzilla" film appeared in North American theaters.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Seeing this gave me a sudden urge to go play Rampage on my N64.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The 1998 Godzilla movie wasn't too bad of a movie. But I won't put it on the same level as the Toho movies. The great thing is after they released it, Toho started to mock Zilla(American Godzilla) in a couple of the previous released Godzilla films. My personal favorite would have to be scene in final wars where Godzilla beat up Zilla.

I've watched all of the Godzilla movies, and I know for a fact that it's too great of a franchise to be put to retirement. I was hoping to hear about when Toho will start making more, but least this will do since right now I'll accept any kind of Godzilla film wether it's American or Japanese made.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
The 1998 Godzilla movie wasn't too bad of a movie. But I won't put it on the same level as the Toho movies.

I find this statement interesting because I wouldn't even put Ferris Bueller Vs. Godzilla in the same CATEGORY as the Toho films. Arguably it's a different beast, only named Godzilla because a half-dead Japanese Fisherman had a run in with him and probably called it Godzilla because he grew up watching the movies (Yeah, that's a bit meta). Oh, and "It's Gojira, you moron!"

Actually, that'd be cool. Call the new Godzilla movie Gojira!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I know there going to fudge it up just like the one they made in 1998 I know you know every one [expletive] knows Hollywood can only make half assed movies now why cant they leave Godzilla alone
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
It's not Godzilla without Mothra, Gamera, Rodan, etc.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's not Godzilla without Mothra, Gamera, Rodan, etc.

Given Hollywood's penchant for making sequels, we just might get them!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
See, I'm the complete opposite of all you obsessed about the "true orgins" and like the 1998 movie better than the one's from the 70's (or whenever they were made). I could care less if it's "true", just make it entertaining and have Godzilla destroy a lot stuff.
I don't think I'll ever understand how nerds (no offense) think.
bj_waters wrote:
Am I the only person who absolutely LOVES Ferris Bueller Vs. Godzilla?I think it's a great movie!
You liked the 98 movie?! Get.. Get out of my interents! Evil or Very Mad

I barely liked it when I saw it then. When I finally saw real Godzilla movies I realized what a turd it was. It's on par with DragonBall Evoltuion. If any movie did to an anime what the US movie did to Godzilla, the whole site would be up in arms over how much it failed.

I sure hope the studios learned their lesson. Then again this Warners and Rubinov. They felt Catwoman needed to be about a cat powered superheroine in the fashion industry. They felt Superman needed to have a giant spider and gay robot sidekicks. They cast Nicholas Cage as Superman. Eventually we got an actual film about pouty emo Superman and his bastard child. You know. Superman! Don't even get me started on Batman & Robin. I'll put you in the coolah.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The 1998 movie was particularly awful because there was no other giant monster for Godzilla to fight. Having the fight be just the military idiots vs Godzilla was particularly stupid.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The 1998 movie was particularly awful because there was no other giant monster for Godzilla to fight. Having the fight be just the military idiots vs Godzilla was particularly stupid.

I keep telling you, it's Ferris Bueller Vs. Godzilla
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3