• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nausicaä BD Confirmed to Have Multiple Dubs, Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
You would think that if they were really wanting to do a complete the motivations for people possibly double dipping they would add a 5.1 or higher track. Confused

I'm pretty partial to linear PCM tracks. But you'd think that they would give the Japanese lossless audio in addition to the linear PCM.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
You would think that if they were really wanting to do a complete the motivations for people possibly double dipping they would add a 5.1 or higher track. Confused

I'm pretty partial to linear PCM tracks. But you'd think that they would give the Japanese lossless audio in addition to the linear PCM.

I like LPCM too, but can't it support more than 2 channels? Am I wrong on this? I know it (the film) originally didn't have a mult-channel track, but that can be redone, and if done right it would sounds absolutley great on Nausicaa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
See I'm telling you if the Japanese really know how to push BD. Even if you might not want it. The LEs and SD EDs can't even compete with what the BDs get. We'll never get that set. But we'll get a nice release though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Huh. For some reason, I did not know that Anno had worked on Nausicaa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for Disney US to start pumping out the Ghibli blu rays. They will come eventually--and like a sucker I'll buy them all, despite owning all of the DVDs.

There is just something about Ghibli that sparkles and high definition will be amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Shade

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Huh. For some reason, I did not know that Anno had worked on Nausicaa.

Anno was responsible for spoiler[ animating the God Warrior sequence. ]

All these multiple languages on the BD Nausicaä sounds wonderful. Cool

As for why there is no 5.1 mix. Well, IMO, it's probably because, to produce such a mix, you would have to reassemble all music, vocals & sound effects. It's probably not worth all the money it would cost.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Can't wait for Disney US to start pumping out the Ghibli blu rays. They will come eventually--and like a sucker I'll buy them all, despite owning all of the DVDs.

There is just something about Ghibli that sparkles and high definition will be amazing.

The only two Ghibli DVDs I own are Nausicaa and Porco Rosso. I was all set to pick up Castle in the Sky and My Neighbor Totoro when they got rereleased last month. But then news of Nausicaa on Blu-ray hit and I decided the best idea was to wait on Blu-ray releases for all Ghibli films. I mean, Ponyo looked AMAZING. I want them all in high-def.

Kinda sucks, cause I have to wait. But at least I won't be double dipping on anything else.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I like LPCM too, but can't it support more than 2 channels? Am I wrong on this?

Yup, LPCM just means the signal is already decoded and in a raw(er) form. Comes in handy when you want to switch between components that cannot natively decode something, but some people get upset if the indicator for the particular signal method isn't all lit-up.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
DVDs only support stereo LPCM, but Blu-ray can do LPCM 5.1 - provided a 5.1 mix exists, which is presumably not the case here and they decided not to try and upmix it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
toru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Nausicaa BD press conference at Panasonic Center Tokyo.
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100527_369870.html

StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
[quote="braves"]
article wrote:
Just like the DVD version, the Blu-ray release will have an audio commentary track by Evangelion co-creator/Nausicaä key animator Hideaki Anno and Nausicaä assistant director Kazuyoshi Katayama. It will also add a December 2009 recording of a conversation between Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki and Anno.

Wow, a commentary track and an extra that I'd actually look forward to hearing.

That commentary track had been on a former R2 DVD release too. I often wished this was brought over and given a subtitle track for those of us interested in what Anno and Katayama had to say on the film.

They really can't do much with the main audio of the film besides linear PCM since the film never went past a monaural soundtrack in it's debut nearly 30 years ago. Even the English track was 2.0 mono at best unless they'd get clearance to try to re-mix the original music/sfx and create a 5.1 track out of it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
That is a gorgeous looking box.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
It's out now. Can anyone confirm whether or not the commentary is subtitled?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
There's some people here who own it, you could ask one:
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1804056#post1804056
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm holding out for the US release. You guys, I mean, seriously, I can't wait for John Lasseter in HD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3