• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood BLURAY 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asuron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ed Blaylock sounds weary and anemic as Bradley. He doesn't give him a sense of authority or rage the way Hidekatsu Shibata does. There's no gravitas.

Really?
You can't possibly mean that
His voice is perfect, it goes from gentle and wise to commanding and powerful

Ed Baylock made me love seeing Bradley on screen in the first anime and it was the main reason why I was so shocked he turned out to be a homunculus in the first series to me.
When he is revealed to be a homunulus his voice immediately becomes more commanding and sinister.

While I agree he can't portray rage well, in Brotherhood, Bradley really never shows rage, he's always calm and collected, while being stern and menacing at the same time, so in this regard Baylock is superior to his japanese counterpart
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
That's why Shibata is superior. You're supposed to hear rage, he's Wrath. Blaylock just sounds vaguely sinister, like a Bond villain. Shibata gives him this pants-shittingly forceful sound that makes you want to run for miles.

Speaking of Bond, Blaylock's doing this weird Sean Connery thing with his voice that's just lame.

Shibata sounds like he's a real Fuhrer. A real badass commander of an entire nation. Not some high school principal trying to intimidate his students.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'll be watching this on [as], because I don't think I like this series nearly enough to buy it myself. I hope the review saying that this is where the show gets "great" is true, because I've been severely disappointed by Brotherhood so far. Then again, I'm not a big fan of the FMA franchise as a whole. Seriously overrated, IMO.

Side note: On the posts about Greed's voice, I agree with Vast--Chris Patton's Greed is freakin' perfect. Laughing
redranger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Then again, I'm not a big fan of the FMA franchise as a whole. Seriously overrated, IMO.

This. I can't think of another anime that's so highly rated yet so goddamn boring.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
That's why Shibata is superior. You're supposed to hear rage, he's Wrath. Blaylock just sounds vaguely sinister, like a Bond villain. Shibata gives him this pants-shittingly forceful sound that makes you want to run for miles.

Speaking of Bond, Blaylock's doing this weird Sean Connery thing with his voice that's just lame.

Shibata sounds like he's a real Fuhrer. A real badass commander of an entire nation. Not some high school principal trying to intimidate his students.

Blaylock sounding like a high school principal?Thats rich but so completely false..Dabney Coleman who played Principal Prickly on Recess sounds like your typical authoritative type but Blaylock is absolutely brilliant as Wrath..he is one of the many reasons why I love the English Dub of Brotherhood so much..every time he is on screen he is always a force to be reckoned with..his ability to always steal a scene is uncanny..Ed Blaylock and Kent Williams make the English Dub of Brotherhood a real top notch class act.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
..Ed Blaylock and Kent Williams make the English Dub of Brotherhood a real top notch class act.
I think the dub is good(even though I don't feel the same way about the show). There are surely better ones out there, but it's still good, but....Kent Williams? What's so special about his performance? Pretty average, if you ask me.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
In my opinion, just saying one of the two series sucks in comparison is really immature. Both are two great anime series and from the same franchise. It may be common to compare other series like Bleach with Naruto since they are not the same, but the FMA discussion just makes anime fans look childish.

So very true, both versions of FMA are utterly fantastic works and it's rather impossible to describe how awesome it is that a series with this kind of material got two different but totally stunning takes on the material since the first series had to make it's own second half while Brotherhood is giving us Arakawa's second half. I really don't understand being dissatisfied or especially hating either one, they're both top notch works (so far on Brotherhood as I haven't finished it yet since I'm watching it with the US BDs). It's ashame that there has to be argument about which is better when they are both among the top anime series out there IMO.

Asuron wrote:
Quote:
Ed Blaylock sounds weary and anemic as Bradley. He doesn't give him a sense of authority or rage the way Hidekatsu Shibata does. There's no gravitas.

Really?
You can't possibly mean that
His voice is perfect, it goes from gentle and wise to commanding and powerful

Ed Baylock made me love seeing Bradley on screen in the first anime and it was the main reason why I was so shocked he turned out to be a homunculus in the first series to me.
When he is revealed to be a homunulus his voice immediately becomes more commanding and sinister.

I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Blaylock sounding like a high school principal?Thats rich but so completely false..Dabney Coleman who played Principal Prickly on Recess sounds like your typical authoritative type but Blaylock is absolutely brilliant as Wrath..he is one of the many reasons why I love the English Dub of Brotherhood so much..every time he is on screen he is always a force to be reckoned with..his ability to always steal a scene is uncanny..Ed Blaylock and Kent Williams make the English Dub of Brotherhood a real top notch class act.

Glad someone's saying this, I've been loving Blaylock's Bradley since he first showed up in both versions of FMA. In addition to what you've mentioned, the way his voice naturally shifts with the intent of Bradley's words can be so freaking powerful too. And Kent Williams' Father has been huge with an incredible pressence so far.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
I, too, am going to disagree with penguintruth's *opinion* of the VA's job portraying Fuhrer-King Bradley. There was the scene in Brotherhood where the Fuhrer's son meets Ed and Al in the library and gets them to come home with him. They're sitting at home having tea with the Fuhrer's son and wife, when in walks Bradley. That conversation, between Bradley (who did most of the talking) and Ed and Al was pretty amazing voice-work, IMO.

The VA (Blaylock?) tends to be pretty subtle, but gives the impression that Bradley is a very controlled, precise sort of person, and his actions are in agreement with that, so to me that's good voicework.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

In my opinion, just saying one of the two series sucks in comparison is really immature. Both are two great anime series and from the same franchise. It may be common to compare other series like Bleach with Naruto since they are not the same, but the FMA discussion just makes anime fans look childish.

It all comes down to personal opinion. Some people are going to like both series equally but there are going to be people who prefer one over the other. And there are going to be people who think one series "sucks". These aren't facts though just an opinion.

The FMA "wars" over which version is better have been going on well before Brotherhood even became a reality. Some people who prefer the manga storyline do not like the changes FMA made to the characters and story. On the other hand some people who are fans of the first series do not like the differences in the manga/Brotherhood. I think the series while similar in some respects are also different enough to create many different types of opinions. And sometimes things got heated on both sides.

People are saying they were turned off of Brotherhood because they didn't like when its fans said the first series sucked. Well I can completely understand that because I was turned off from the first anime because of early manga VS first anime wars. It might not be rational but I do think fans can affect perception of a series. Fans can be very passionate for good or ill.

In the end it's not wrong for liking both or preferring one over the other. I am sure we all have our own personal reasons for this and it really has little to do with the quality of the work. Obviously FMA is a successful franchise and the manga, first series, and Brotherhood all contributed to this.
FMABleach

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought all the voices were great. Just because the dub voices do it somewhat different from the Japanese, doesn't make the voices bad. Everyone has their own take on each character on how they should act. Yeah, they have to keep with the original Japanese voices but they can still do it their own style like Chris and Ed did.

Also, NO ONE is perfect. I think the bad thing about anime fans is that they expect WAY too much out of English dubs and when it doesn't turn out the way they wanted it to they start freaking out and bashing it to death.

You want bad? Go look at 4Kids. 'Nuff said. Razz

And I'm a fan of the manga and both anime series. I think they're all awesome. The haters out there can go watch Naruto or Bleach since a lot of people seem to like them for whatever reason. Razz
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
FMABleach wrote:
The haters out there can go watch Naruto or Bleach since a lot of people seem to like them for whatever reason. Razz
This coming from a person called "FMABleach?"

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of any of those 3 series.
Keyl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Then again, I'm not a big fan of the FMA franchise as a whole. Seriously overrated, IMO.

This. I can't think of another anime that's so highly rated yet so goddamn boring.

i can think of one and the character from your dp is from it.

BOOM! sorry i had to do that *again*.

Btw this is on the doorstep to the awesomeness that comes after 40+. My little brother just started with anime recently and this was the first anime i decided to show him and he has totally fallen in love with it. Hell, we watched 15 episodes in a row yesterday and that's not normal for him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2