• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Unspecified Gundam AGE Project Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
I've got no problem with Gundam AGE I actually quite enjoyed it. The worst Gundam award would go to G Gundam IMO now that was terrible.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
I've got no problem with Gundam AGE I actually quite enjoyed it. The worst Gundam award would go to G Gundam IMO now that was terrible.

I would say Seed Destiny is tied for the worst with Afterglow of Zeon. Count me as one of the few who liked AGE. Sure it is not the best in the Gundam franchise but I still found it enjoyable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

G Gundam destroys AGE in every way. Better pacing, characters, no Kio Asuno, no stupid plot armor, better music, better plot, etc, etc.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I am all for The Origin, even if it is a remake of 0079. I am especially interested in seeing more on the war origins, and more of the back story of Char and her sister.

I do agree with those who think that it is a waste to keep making more anime of a crappy series like AGE. I rather see Sunrise end Unicorn this year.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, the comments...
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The American Average wrote:
(I have heard its no where near as bad as Seed Destiny)

They are bad in different ways.

Also, while Destiny is almost certainly worse, I hate AGE far, far more.

The thing is that Destiny actually had good ratings and sold tons of model kits, so while it gets a lot of crap here for not being that great, it still did really well. Age got abysmal ratings and I don't see the mass production of a ton of variations of their kits all over which suggests they aren't selling a ton either.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
let this series die already.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
WHY??? omg they're pulling a SE like ff13-2....why make more sequels to projects that failed?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
AGE isn't terrible per se (not the way SEED or SEED Destiny are), it's just so dull and predictable. There's probably only three or four characters that are even worth caring about. The concepts are interesting, but the follow through is just tedious. It's not painful, just exhausting, and ultimately not worth the time it takes to watch. There's clearly a spirit to it, but the execution is just so mechanical.

I wish Sunrise would figure out what it is they really want out of the franchise at this point and try to get some actual writers. But for different Gundam projects. AGE is a dud.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
WHY??? omg they're pulling a SE like ff13-2....why make more sequels to projects that failed?

Age was objectively a failure by any means, FF13/13-2 was only a "failure" in the sense that it didn't sell quite outrageously as many copies as previous entries.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't get the hype for Gundam Origin. It's the same stuff as the first TV show with some added details and it's already available as a manga. It's already greenlit but the staff is still working on it or just lazy. Even if Tomino actually works in it, he would change 50% of the stuff as he did to the Zeta movies (although he actually improved that childish attempt of being cool and edgy from the tv series and gave it a proper finale.)

Quote:
The thing is that Destiny actually had good ratings and sold tons of model kits, so while it gets a lot of crap here for not being that great, it still did really well. Age got abysmal ratings and I don't see the mass production of a ton of variations of their kits all over which suggests they aren't selling a ton either.

I think Destiny was even a bigger success than SEED. 00 failed to have Destiny's ratings or awards. Then Age did it worse than 00. I bet this Age project will be an OVA or a film since it didn't have a good rating.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as how it takes place during their school days probably an OVA, manga, or light novel although its most likely one of the last two. I doubt Sunrise will risk loosing money on another TV series. As much as I loved AGE it isn't going to profit Sunrise making another series for TV from this Gundam.

To me the worst Gundam was 0079 its probably the most boring and slow of the gundams and it went no where fast. Also the animation was just lulzy half the time even worse than AGE's and Victory's. xD So I hope the Origins will be more entertaining when it comes to the battles and character development this time around. Also a new OST would help it a bunch too with fresh new art while staying true to the original character designs. Maybe then I'll think differently of this series after watching the remake next year, but until then its the worst to me so far. Still will never see why everyone worships Amuro so much in this fanbase he entertained me very little unlike Kamille or the other Gundam protags. xD

Destiny was great for the battles and new characters, but the writing was abysmal. I'll be watching the HD remake too bad its not a complete and total one just upscale to 1080p while adding new scenes and removing stock footage and recaps.

So far the rest of the series including AGE I thoroughly enjoyed especially Zeta, Victory, and 00.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
To me the worst Gundam was 0079 its probably the most boring and slow of the gundams and it went no where fast. Also the animation was just lulzy half the time even worse than AGE's and Victory's. xD So I hope the Origins will be more entertaining when it comes to the battles and character development this time around.

Of course the animation in the Gundam 0079 was not very good. After all, it was made in freaking 1979. But I would not call it boring. It suffers from the fact that at that time writers were not very sophisticated, but it established the foundations for the great Gundam franchise. As far as The Origin, I imagine part of the reason to make it is to improve and revitalize 0079.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Zeta movies (although he actually improved that childish attempt of being cool and edgy from the tv series and gave it a proper finale.)

Huh? No, the original TV series ending wasn't Tomino trying to be cool and edgy, it was him BEING cool and edgy, because that sort of ending wasn't commonplace, and it suited the moody atmosphere of the series, rather than the unexplainable happy crap the movie ending had.

The worst part is they didn't even change it enough to suit a happier ending in the movie. spoiler[The only thing that's different is Kamille doesn't get mindscrewed by Scirocco. Emma, Henken, Apolly, and Katz still die and now it's even implied Char did, too, because they didn't show the Hyaku Shiki floating by with the cockpit open like the TV series.]

Haman, despite having a huge advantage, decides instead of taking the chance to take over, she's leaving the area, never to return.

Haman: Haman am winning again! I am the greetest! Hahahahaha! Now I am leaving Earth area for no raisin!

They try to hide this behind Kamille and Fa making all lovey dovey on a battlefield where hundreds of people just died. It was a slap to the face to fans of the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Bandai's just hurting the brand if they put out another sub-par series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3