• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - A Higher Level of Whatever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Luffy is awesome and Sasuke is emo

We can't deny the truth... and let's not even mention Sakura. Laughing

I love that chart, but it's missing one category under pokemon.

Pokemon fans over the age of six.

Pokemon fans over the age of six with pokemon tatoos.

Pokemon fans over the age of six with pokemon tatoos and skin implants for the "3D effect".

Wow, looks like we've someone geekier than the ultimate geek on that chart.

I wonder if anime fans in general consider themselves less geekier than figure collectors.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Pokemon fans over the age of six with pokemon tatoos and skin implants for the "3D effect".

No, no, no. sorry that's not being geeky. that's waaaay crossing the line to insanity, so far that its lights have gone over the horizon in the rear view mirror by then. Rolling Eyes
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
That just means that his geekness level is so low that we high level superior snob geeks can't think of his inferiority as anything but madness.
On the other hand, it wouldn't be good for our image to have him join our group, so perhaps we should just group him with the loonies from the asylum down the road. Or maybe we should break our piggies and hire Golgo 13 for a quick wipe over.
Vent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

PS: Manga IS better then comics, because of it's diversity. There are no mainstream american comics that are NOT about super-heroes.

This is a ridiculous statement, in many many ways.

There are no mainstream manga not about teenagers wanting to be the best and fighting minions and then their bosses in a series of arcs with occasional tournaments
amagee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
egoist wrote:

No, no, no. sorry that's not being geeky. that's waaaay crossing the line to insanity, so far that its lights have gone over the horizon in the rear view mirror by then. Rolling Eyes

There is also the personal favorite of mine from a convention in Atlanta. Girl was wearing a pikachu costume with light up cheeks and I think stripes or something. She looked really cool and was extremely hot to boot. Three hours after I saw her the first time, I see her being taken away on a stretcher because she electrocuted herself pretty violently with her in costume equipment. :~/
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
I think the subs vs. dubs debate died out a long time ago. It's generally considered a matter of individual preference. Dubs aren't as bad they use to be and for someone who really wants it dubbed quality doesn't matter. And if one's a fan of a show, like Naruto, they'll take whichever they can get. Sometimes one doesn't have a choice. Of course there are those who just want to fight.

I think it's ridiculous to consider oneself a higher level of otaku. That's like calling yourself a higher level of nerd. One would think a non-otaku would be superior to them all.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
Vent wrote:

There are no mainstream manga not about teenagers wanting to be the best and fighting minions and then their bosses in a series of arcs with occasional tournaments

Death Note, Hikaru no Go, Lone Wolf and Cub, 20th Century Boys, etc.

Of course the above reply assumes you were serious and not just using irony.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
To make a counter argument:

If one person has only watched shounen anime, and another has watched a wide range of anime over all genres, it IS true that the latter person has more knowledge about anime as a whole.

It doesn't mean they're a "better kind of fan" but it definitely means they're a more informed fan.
And by my experience, the more you actually know about the thing you claim to be a fan of, the more accurate and interesting you can be discussing it.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So long as you've got a good resume, you've got some killer references, and you don't have any outstanding warrants for your arrest stemming from armed robbery in five states, consider yourself fine.

Whew, I only got four, so I should be good right?

Anyway, yeah, every group has other groups that they feel superior to, and even WITHIN those groups are groups that feel superior to others. It's just that unless you are involved with those communities you usually don't notice.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Quote:
So long as you've got a good resume, you've got some killer references, and you don't have any outstanding warrants for your arrest stemming from armed robbery in five states, consider yourself fine.

Whew, I only got four, so I should be good right?

Anyway, yeah, every group has other groups that they feel superior to, and even WITHIN those groups are groups that feel superior to others. It's just that unless you are involved with those communities you usually don't notice.

It was common for many computer hackers to get jobs in the computer security industry. There's a fair amount of forgiveness in business. But it's like there's a cut-off point after which you no longer can be excused. Many early phone hackers went on to get related jobs but those who continued wound up getting charged and arrested.

But it can backfire. I recall when music companies decided to go after midi sites. As such they effectively killed off any interest people had in midis and wound up driving them to MP3s. Anime companies have to be careful not to drive anime fans into western animation.

You can't expect to get a job at Funimation if you're continuing to download their material illegally, although it's also not something employers tend to ask about.

Crunchyroll started it's business with illegal material yet they still manage to get deals with Japanese companies. Even ANN writers have admitted to it. I'm sure Funimation is filled with people who may have downloaded anime at one time or another, but they no longer continue to do so.

Now that streaming anime is becoming common, downloading fansubs is no longer tolerated, with a possible exception for those older shows not available anywhere by any other means. And there does seem to be a drop in the overall amount of fansubs as well as the number of fansubs from each group. Ideally the issue with resolve itself with the elimination of fansubbers.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I know the hater keep on hating but man the nerd backlash for Naruto is kind of just silly lately. Though, I've unintentionally "schooled" people in my various nerdoms. Some people are cool and ask about whatever I was talking about but some people it can stop a conversation dead cold. Opps, I got to work on that. The worst was working a video game store, guys (at least the ones I ran into at work) never wanted to here that a girl knew more about video games then they did. Honestly, I just see it as a matter of the fact that I soak up a lot of tid bits every where and while I don't have terrible social skill they are not the greatest either. Learning, when to STFU is also a just important as learning when to speak up.

As for getting a job in the industry and pirating. I'm going to assume that any company in this industry knows people are pirating and the if they hire from the fandom that yes, these people may have pirated their works. Some places might just have a don't ask, don't tell policy to over look it while others may ask. And if ask I'd just go with the root that yes there have been times you have been so excited to watch/read something you downloaded fansubs or scanlations but that you try you best to support the industry by buying DVDs, manga, and other goods when you can afford them. Though I get the feeling a lot of places wouldn't ask and unless you have been formally charged with some for of piracy it's not going to show up that you downloaded Super Sleek Sexy Magical Girls DX in 2009 on your background check.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know the hater keep on hating but man the nerd backlash for Naruto is kind of just silly lately.

I think Naruto fandom fails to realize that Naruto in anime is just like Justin Bieber in music, and Twilight in movies.
It's like a natural occurrence that should be either agreed upon, or ignored. One thing is for sure, like it or not, Naruto will be the anime fandom's bitch for a good while to come.
Vent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
Vent wrote:

Death Note, Hikaru no Go, Lone Wolf and Cub, 20th Century Boys, etc.

Of course the above reply assumes you were serious and not just using irony.

Yeah, the idea was it was an equally ridiculous statement to make.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Robert wrote:
If person A likes dubs, and person B likes subs, there really shouldn't be an issue.

Its parsimony aside, the reduction of substantive debates about value to dissimilar expressions of preference, such that it becomes inappropriate to describe claims from either side as being true or false, is appealing. Whilst I would be more inclined to say that the relevant difference between A and B lies in something beyond their mere preferences, e.g. the differing sets of values and attitudes of each person which include but are not limited to their differing preferences, the form this hypothesis takes is one I'm happy to agree with.

writerpatrick wrote:
Now that streaming anime is becoming common, downloading fansubs is no longer tolerated, with a possible exception for those older shows not available anywhere by any other means.

I haven't noticed this change in tolerance. My local acquaintances show no more hostility towards fansub usage than they did before the advent of legal streaming, save for the small number of cases in which piracy causes legal streams to be removed. As predictable as it may be for me to propose the following explanation for such lenience, I'd expect this is accounted for by the implications of geographical differences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Oh thank you for that. I remember that chart when it first came out and it still always comes to mind when I hear about nerd infighting and superiority complexes.
Mohawk52 wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
.....isn't going to make it sound any more macho.
or maho. sorry, couldn't resist. Razz
Nice. Plus it bugged me as I've usually seen official Anglicization of 'the Japanese word for 'magic' being "mahou".
DmonHiro wrote:
PS: Manga IS better then comics, because of it's diversity. There are no mainstream american comics that are NOT about super-heroes.
And through the same magic of ignorant over-generalization I could say that mainstream manga is crap because it's all ninjas, robots, and schoolgirls in short skirts. Yet we all know manga is much more than that. American comics have their diversity, if someone's willing to take two seconds to look beyond the superhero fodder Marvel and DC have up front. (And even then you could find a title or two you may like in the capes and tights section.) That's like assuming manga is nothing more than Bleach and Naruto (and Fruits Basket if you wanna get into shojo). Again, elitism like simply saying manga is better won't allow some people explore American comics because they already have prejudged it.

Yes the Japanese market is more mainstream and stronger, but that doesn't mean there's nothing the US market has to offer outside the cliche cape books. Yet just because one market makes more money, does that make it the be and end all of being superior? Japan has plenty of mainstream titles that I think many here would turn their noses up at too. Plus I find that top Japanese comics have their own cliches. Hell, sometimes I think the titles are scarily similar to the cliches of American cape books, just slightly different that the two fandoms never notice how similar they really are.

Certainly I see the same elitist crap from American fans complaining about Naruto and other popular kids titles, saying manga is nothing but kids stuff. A shop around here even made a 'manga for people who don't like manga' section to dissuade this myth. Yet I've still seen the occasional American fanboy arguing with the clerks that there's nothing appealing about manga. To them, manga is just as non-diverse as American books look to people who complain about it being nothing but superheroes. There's no diversity if one isn't willing to look. And dear heavens I've heard the same going the other way from many manga fans, not just my roommate.

My goodness, Hellboy alone is a shining example of what American comics can and should be able to do. And, no, he's not really a superhero and is more like the pulp hero and horror titles that predate the capes. A friend of mine who reads mostly manga wants to check out non-cape American books and I really don't know, in just my collection, where to start I have so many. There are many diverse titles if people have a mind open enough to look.

I think the American vs Japanese comics/manga fandom battle of elitism is rather hilarious and a bit sad. I love jumping back and forth between the two countries outputs, so I don't get why anyone would want to only pick one and act so snobby towards the other.
Vent wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

This is a ridiculous statement, in many many ways.
Ah. There are those mainstream manga cliches and tropes I was talking about. And that's just for shonen titles.
egoist wrote:
Quote:
I know the hater keep on hating but man the nerd backlash for Naruto is kind of just silly lately.

I think Naruto fandom fails to realize that Naruto in anime is just like Justin Bieber in music, and Twilight in movies.
It's like a natural occurrence that should be either agreed upon, or ignored. One thing is for sure, like it or not, Naruto will be the anime fandom's bitch for a good while to come.
I gotta say I don't like Naruto.. but even I wouldn't go that far. Hell, I'm insanely jealous as someone who loves One Piece that Naruto beats that out in America. First of all Naruto has cross gender appeal, even if it's a shonen title. Bieber and Twilight are generally a female fandom, with maybe just some gay fans and goth boyfriends pinging the male demos. Now like Naruto, Twilight was originally a book that has gone to multimedia sucess, but that can be said of many manga. Just because Naruto is one of the most popular anime / manga here, even I don't think it deserves the comparison to those two annoyingly popular trends. Even I think Naruto at least has some redeeming qualities, unlike those other two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4