• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Dragon Ball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

That's one of the things I wondered when I was a kid. Vegetto just splitted because.... the script required it. Another of those strange twists is Gohan in the Boo saga when he is even stronger than Super Saiyan 3 Goku and Gotenks without transforming, but when is getting horribly beaten up, he just doesn't transform. .

That one still bugs me years after seeing it. Although I'm not sure if it's the fact that Gohan could have defeated Buu and for some reason didn't bother to, or if it's the complete 180 that Toriyama pulled with it. Goku forfeited against Cell so Gohan could surpass him and save the world, and then the story goes back to Goku saving the world from Buu.

That said, I really enjoyed this article because it hit on many of the reasons why I loved DBZ so much. I was one of those people who would spend time trying to figure out exactly how people ranked, and getting mad when Goku would lose fight in the tournament. I'm a little surprised that it came up in the article, but I am glad that DBZ acknowledged that pure body building serves no practical purpose with Trunks vs. Cell. It's one of those moments where you realize that even though Toriyama made a story where guys could destroy planets on whim, he still had an understanding of martial arts.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
I'd like to point out, by the way, that Toriyama has never really expressed that he planned to end it after Freeza. It's a common, popular misconception. And now that it's been in an ANN article, people will point to it as a fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:30 am Reply with quote
I feel like one of the few people in the world who could never get into this show/manga. I've been force fed random episodes and arcs over the years by a number of friends, and all it ended with was my staring at my friend and going "What. The. #@^." They in turn would usually ask what what wrong with me because they thought I liked anime.

This article has not changed this opinion. I am still at a loss. I'll will just assume whatever is in the genetics of most of the world to enjoy this series - it skipped me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Horie said it was all his idea deep down; taking the Fist of the North Star fighting formula but basing the main character on Jackie Chan (i.e. Goku) instead of Bruce Lee (i.e. Ken from Fist of the North Star). Battle manga was the big thing then, and what could be more awesome than taking their best gag manga artist, Toriyama, and making him do a battle manga?I don't really believe Horie,

I kind of believe that Jackie was already a fan, too,because he wears an Arale-Chan costume in one of his 80s movies. Plus, I remember a different pic someone showed me, but Jackie posed with Toriyama here and here.

Quote:
Their blonde hair and light-colored eyes also make them look suspiciously Caucasian and sinister, something Hideki Ohwada also apparently noticed, judging from his parody manga Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku: The Legend of Koizumi, in which Adolph Hitler power-ups by transforming into "the legendary Super Aryan". Fun fact: the Super Aryan Stage 2 has hair shaped like a swastika!

What's weird about DB/Z is it's probably the only comic and/cartoon I'm aware of where white-"looking" characters are completely embraced in the black community. Yes, there are other similar protagonists who have crossed over without a hitch, like in Spider-Man and in Star Wars, but DB/Z is like the only title I've ever seen brothers geek out over in the same way white people do with stuff from Joss Whedon and/or J.J. Abrams. Hell, I even saw a black guy with one of those bootleg Hawaiian shirts once. So it makes me think, if Justin Bieber can get a BET Award, Toriyama should be getting something from the NAACP, 'cus nothing improved race relations after the L.A. Riots more than recorded VHS fansubs of DBZ. And that's pretty impressive, given the controversy over Mr. Popo.

Quote:
Instead of ending Dragon Ball in 1995, it would have been easy for Shueisha and Toriyama to keep the manga running forever, and just hire more assistants to do all the artwork and run it into the ground like Garfield, but to their credit, they decided to give the manga an actual ending (sort of).

Yeah, but we already saw what happened when they did that with YuGiOh. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Things like Dragon Ball Kai, the reissued version of the anime which eliminates all the filler arcs and sticks more closely to Toriyama's original manga, show that Shueisha really does respect Toriyama as a creator

Actually, I heard he didn't get along with them, or at least Toei, after that Dr. Slump reboot.

Quote:
to imagine how furiously Shueisha must have clashed with the equally control-freaky 20th Century Fox execs when making Dragonball: Evolution.

My assumption on that one is they actually let FOX do what it wanted, because they saw X-Men and thought there was no way the company could eff up DB. 'Course, X-Men worked in spite of Rothman, not because of him; but even Fantastic Four '05 and '07 looked better than DB:E.

Quote:
But the truth is, of course, that Dragon Ball is such a cartoon, it's almost impossible to imagine it in live action.

Forbidden Kingdom and Storm Riders come pretty close.

Iritscen:
Quote:
It surprised me to see just how much of the timing and camera angles that I loved in the show were copied directly from the panels of the manga.

I think Toriyama's company Bird Studio does some of the animation for Toei, too. So that's why there's very little difference in terms of style like in other shonen adaptations.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
Reading this column, I can't help but compare Dragon Ball to the apparant successor to the shonen throne, One Piece. And it seems to me that based on the reasons listed, OP is kind of the antithesis of DB. Its heavily plotted, fantastical battles and hasn't left its gag roots behind. Maybe the reason OP hasn't succeeded over in the US is because its too disimilar from DB?
Ahiru77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
So to make it short, 5 reasons why Dragon Ball is great:

1. The art is unique.
2. Weird details fans can lach onto, wonder about.
3. The world of DB is completely original.
4. Great action scenes.
5. Trunks

This article is brilliant. Keep up the good work. Mr. Green
Adonisus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah....working for Jump can be difficult for a new and rising artist, but it can be rewarding to, as I've heard.

However, if you're an established manga artist I've heard it can be a different story. Take Tatsuya Egawa, for example. Egawa was already an established artist with his manga BE FREE! for Monthly Afternoon with Kodansha. In the late 80s, when he came up with the idea for Magical Taruruto-kun, he went to Jump and had alot more freedom in what he could do.

I guess with Jump, if you have a proven track record, you have a lot more leeway in what you can do.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I really don't think I can agree with Jason about Dragon Ball being great, or even "good" by any stretch of the imagination. And yet i think it would be very difficult for me to express why in a way that doesn't sound like I'm bashing something popular. Let's just say I have a whole list of reasons.

But if I had to name ONE of them that was near the top of my lists, it would be the whole thing of "characters performing a heroic sacrifice/kamikaze attack on a villain, only for it to FAIL COMPLETELY".

Do it once and it can actually be pretty sad and shocking, do it repeatedly though (sometimes in rapid succession!) though, and it's just trite and stupid. I don't care if there are magic orbs that can bring people back to life, it's just writing of the worst kind in my opinion.

Go ahead and bash popular things! Smile It's fun! I do it all the time!

I actually think the 'character performs a heroic sacrifice, only to fail completely' thing is pretty awesome. It shows Akira Toriyama at his most cynical and entertaining. But admittedly, like everything in Dragon Ball, it gets tiresome the 1 zillionth time out.

The fact that everyone just gets brought back to life over and over also kind of rids the series of any tension. But by that point -- by the Boo saga -- the series has basically become a comedy anyway. You just know everything is going to end happily through some ridiculous twist or some hand-waving explanation. If you look at the series moment by moment, chapter by chapter, all the death and casual destruction is pretty intense and gritty in places, but if you look at the series as a whole, and the ending, the mood of Dragon Ball is (kiddy voice) "YAAAAAAYYYY!"

Basically, I think Dragon Ball is very well written (in a 'keeping the story entertaining' way, not a 'classics of deep philosophy' way). It just runs out of tricks and starts to repeat itself and become a self-parody because it's so darn long. It's even worse in the various anime versions and original movies and so on, which is why I like the Kai version the best.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'd like to point out, by the way, that Toriyama has never really expressed that he planned to end it after Freeza. It's a common, popular misconception. And now that it's been in an ANN article, people will point to it as a fact.

Hmm. Now you've got me wondering if I just made that up in my brain somehow. I thought he (or whoever was answering the interview questions in Toriyama's name) mentioned it in the Dragon Ball kanzenbans, but I don't have them here at home so I was quoting them from memory. Can someone who has them verify?

He definitely has been quoted as saying "In the beginning, I was planning to end Dragon Ball when all seven Dragon Balls had been collected."

The thing about him saying he chose the name "Dragon Ball Z" because he wanted to make people think the series was about to end is also true, although like with most things Toriyama said, it's hard to know how much he was joking.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Reading this column, I can't help but compare Dragon Ball to the apparant successor to the shonen throne, One Piece. And it seems to me that based on the reasons listed, OP is kind of the antithesis of DB. Its heavily plotted, fantastical battles and hasn't left its gag roots behind. Maybe the reason OP hasn't succeeded over in the US is because its too disimilar from DB?

I love OP, but I can think of a few reasons why it's less popular here.

(1) At this point, OP is a lot more complicated than DB. HUGE backstory. SUPER long. So long that it can either impress people, or intimidate people... and if it intimidates people, that's bad.
(2) OP is much sillier on the surface than DB is. DB has a sort of silliness deep down (and especially in Dragon Ball, although most people only watched DBZ), but on the surface, it's very muscular and tough and YEEEARRRRGGGGHHHH! OP, on the other hand, has a bunch of goofy-looking heroes and villains; even Zolo, who is pretty hardcore, is a little goofy. Some people don't appreciate the goofiness.
(3) The character designs of DB, with their big muscles, are possibly more immediately appealing to American kids than the skinny characters in One Piece.
(4) DB has an "Asian" theme, with martial arts and ki power. Americans tend to like "Asian" themed stuff from Japan more than "Western" themed stuff from Japan, like how the video game "Samurai Shodown" was more popular in America but "Fatal Fury/Garo Densetsu" (set in America) was more popular in Japan.

What does everyone else think?
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
He's not intended to be some super macho action hero type, even if he is the hero of the story. He's just a fight-crazy hillbilly, but one with a pure heart.

He is totally a hillbilly!

My favorite Goku line is when he's doing his stretches before he fights Captain Ginyu: "Sorry to do this to you after you just showed up, but I'm gonna have to finish this quick."
hussar67

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For a little while, from 1995 to 1998, it looked like Dragon Ball Z would be a failure in America. That was the time when FUNimation tried releasing Dragon Ball in syndication, found out it was a flop, skipped ahead to Dragon Ball Z, which didn't do much better. Showing Dragon Ball Z on syndicated American TV required lots of censorship, it didn't get good timeslots, and when I tried to show it to my jaded hipster friends they just made a lot of jokes about sweaty men and muscles and "buffalo shots." Then, in 1998, Dragon Ball Z moved to cable TV, to Cartoon Network's Toonami block, and ratings shot up.

I believe during the first years (i.e., the "sending to a different dimension" years) of Dragonball Z on television syndication, it was entirely a Saban Entertainment production, with an Ocean Studio dub (Vancouver, Canada). After Saban's lack of success, FUNimation bought the rights to the show and started their own in-house dub with their own Bruce Faulconer music score in the middle of the Namek saga and only on Cartoon Network. (Years later they went back and re-dubbed the series from Episode 1.)

Any FUNi reps in the forum who can verify this?
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
You're almost right, hussar67. FUNi owned DB/DBZ from the start, but they let Saban do the work to bring DBZ into syndication in the U.S., and that was part of why the show got so butchered at the start.

FUNi initially used Ocean Studio, then switched to dubbing in the Houston area later simply because it was easier for them to nurture local talent than to fly to Vancouver all the time.

I'm happy to see that this informative article is still online, since I saved it to my computer years ago thinking it would be lost soon: http://www.dallasobserver.com/2000-01-20/news/international-incident/ .
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Hmm. Now you've got me wondering if I just made that up in my brain somehow. I thought he (or whoever was answering the interview questions in Toriyama's name) mentioned it in the Dragon Ball kanzenbans, but I don't have them here at home so I was quoting them from memory. Can someone who has them verify?

He definitely has been quoted as saying "In the beginning, I was planning to end Dragon Ball when all seven Dragon Balls had been collected."

The thing about him saying he chose the name "Dragon Ball Z" because he wanted to make people think the series was about to end is also true, although like with most things Toriyama said, it's hard to know how much he was joking.

Wait, was Toriyama the one behind the Dragon Ball Z anime's title? So the reason, Dragon Ball was followed by Dragon Ball Z was because he requested it?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
This occasion should be used to plug the amusing fanwork Dragon Ball Z Abridged.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3