• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megatokyo Launches Visual Novel Campaign on Kickstarter

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Compare the 100th comic to the 1000th and then tell me Megatokyo art hasn't changed. I don't know what people are talking about when they say this.

Wow he's advanced all the way to early-era Akamatsu. How impressive.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
I know it's fun to razz Fred and all, and I haven't read Megatokyo in years, buuuuut...at the same time, at least he's still working on it? I mean, I've told myself that I'm going to do a LOT of big projects that I rarely even start on.

That being said I think I'd be a little hesitant to contribute to a Kickstarter of a guy that's super well known for not being very good at sticking to deadlines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:

Yes. It also helps to read the graphic novels when they come out. Being able to read a huge chunk of the story at once (instead of a page every two weeks or so) helps a lot in following the many threads of the plot.

Or, in my case, a few pages every few months. It became a bad cycle for Fred and for the fans.
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:
Gallagher and his wife have severe health complications, and considering they have a child to raise, that's a lot to deal with. I'm just thankful they're still around rather than fading into obscurity like many '90s and 2000s folk who just dropped off the radar.

Like the Brudlos brothers and Alpha Shade, or Zach Stroum's Shaw Island. (They both had really good job-related reasons.) Greg Dean's Real Life Comics is still going strong. Amazing, really.

Do Scott Kurtz (PvP) and Tim Buckley (Ctl-Alt-Del) still flame each other?
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Maize Hughes"]
ninjaclown wrote:
Greg Dean's Real Life Comics is still going strong. Amazing, really.

Greg Dean may be "going strong" (he's doing maybe three comics a week now), but he owes a LOT of things to a lot of people. Shirt Ninja statues, books, signed comics...check out the forum connected to his comic site. The first few topics alone are full of "Where is my stuff, Greg?" He has stopped going to that board, and won't reply to people on Facebook looking for stuff he OWES them.

The sad thing is I really liked him when I met him. His comics were fun, but he turned his back on his fans and customers.

I feel for Mr. Gallagher. My dad has something alone the same lines as his condition, and when it acts up, he can do nothing but rest until it passes, and it can really mess with your energy and activity levels.
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
Maize Hughes wrote:
Greg Dean's Real Life Comics is still going strong. Amazing, really.

Greg Dean may be "going strong" (he's doing maybe three comics a week now), but he owes a LOT of things to a lot of people. Shirt Ninja statues, books, signed comics...check out the forum connected to his comic site. The first few topics alone are full of "Where is my stuff, Greg?" He has stopped going to that board, and won't reply to people on Facebook looking for stuff he OWES them.

The sad thing is I really liked him when I met him. His comics were fun, but he turned his back on his fans and customers.

I feel for Mr. Gallagher. My dad has something alone the same lines as his condition, and when it acts up, he can do nothing but rest until it passes, and it can really mess with your energy and activity levels.

Geez, that's sad about Greg. I am really disappointed to hear that.

I've always cut Mr. Gallagher a lot of slack - I had a kid at the same time he did while also trying to work from home. It was brutal, and I didn't have any of the family health challenges that he did.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Maize Hughes wrote:
dm wrote:

Yes. It also helps to read the graphic novels when they come out. Being able to read a huge chunk of the story at once (instead of a page every two weeks or so) helps a lot in following the many threads of the plot.

Or, in my case, a few pages every few months. It became a bad cycle for Fred and for the fans.

Having read Megatokyo from its early days, I've always felt sorry for anyone who tried to enter the comic recently.

The last collection was published three years ago, although there have only been about 90 pages posted in the meantime (averaging three every five weeks (or one every 1.7 weeks)). I suppose one could just read the collections and then page through the last 90 pages to what's going on. But before you buy the collections, you'd have to be pretty confident that they were worthwhile....
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
FWIW, I sent in a message through kickstarter to pose some questions & concerns about how things would go if that 500k stretch goal were reached for "excessively romantic content". Gallagher wrote me back with this:

Quote:
Well, i would endevor to handle it all tastefully, while also giving homage to the fact that a lot of VNs have this sort of content - it's actually an interesting challenge, and while i would (by the intent most people read in that) be something not for kids, it would not be the typical fanservicey lame stuff you find in most pr0n games. I have way too much respect for my characters to pull cheap moves like that.

having said all that ... if by some weird chance we DID reach that goal and i had to live up to it, there will still be an all-ages version of the game for general audiences AND the 'romantic content' will be off by default in the full version of the game. I'm really amused by the idea of Seraphim chewing you out over turning that part of the game on... then getting tripped up by the fact that you are playing AS a character and she's saying you cant see the romantic content in your own life... so, yeah, its an amusing idea, one im not too worried about having to deal with Razz

Personally, I'm satisfied with this and at the moment this is looking like an actual visual novel that I (a) can understand and (b) could actually like to play. Finally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2