• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
what took ya so long?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
what took ya so long?

Because I never really paid attention to the voice before. I only found out she voiced Celty after looking at her profile on MAL.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Miyuki Sawashiro voicing Sonora is definitely a good, as with the above poster she became a favourite after a particular role. But her voice just works so well with a tomboyish character, actually feels like she has a similar type of energy to my favourite role of hers. And her tomboyish nature looked so adorably wrong in the dress.

I do somewhat question how much they would be allowed to inside what appears to be an abandoned area of the school, that could be dangerous. But at least they are having fun. It sounded like two of the girls are in her grade, so she might have some friends now.

I might just have my yuri goggles on, but Yura might have a bit higher interest Sonora than normal, well it is an all girls school and she looks like the closest thing to a guy there. Wait does that come off a bit mean? Anyway, I approve.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Sonora was exactly how I was hoping that she would be. I love how she didn't spoiler[try to pressure Yura to join the C3 club like the other girls were.]. I love her laid-back personality.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I decided to give this show a second episode, and although I do think the second episode was better than the first episode (primarily due to the introduction of the Sonora character who is like 4 times as interesting as any of the other girls), it is still a pretty sub-par show for me.

My main issue at this point is that the main character, Yura, is extremely boring and her timidness is over-emphasized to the point that it has started to cease being cute and started to become annoying. She seems like she would literally be afraid of her own shadow. I think timid characters can be useful for upping the cuteness and moe factor, but they shouldn't seem like they are incapable of functioning without other people forcing them to do things or try things out. Also, if they try something out and they like it, they shouldn't act deathly terrified of even thinking about that thing which they liked (unless you are working with something that was previously set up as a thing they were ABSOLUTELY NOT supposed to like. Then that kind of excessive reluctance might work.) It's hard for me to like her and identify with her. Instead I just want to send in Hampnie Hambart from Sunday Without God to punch/kick/knock some sense into her.

As I mentioned above, Sonora is a very likeable and engaging character. If I continue the show, it will probably be for the purpose of seeing what else she does, unless the main girl improves dramatically. However, I don't know that Sonora can carry this entire show. (I still don't really feel any connection to these other girls). The yuri aspect introduced in this episode was pretty heavy handed, but that heavy handedness was a bit less of a problem than the character work on Yura.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I can't imagine Yura staying timid for too long considering that she did decide to join the club and chose to of her own free will.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth they are trying to get her to join a club, she knows, and has no prior experiences with. And they were very, stupidly forceful in trying to get her to join.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
Ep3-
Loving those "movie moments". I think they're going to be a real draw of the series.

spoiler[While I liked the last hairstyle they tried I don't think it'd be good for physical activity. But god do I ever hate how the looks with her final hair style.

Glad to see Yura get her head out of her arse even if it was too late to help the tourney. I'm looking forward to where her character goes now that her major linchpin has been resolved.

I'm suspecting the rivalry is based on differing game philosophies. I've been there myself with a LARP once so if they go that route I'll have an extra investment in the emotion of the show.
]

I'll be hearing that "rounds passing" BGM in my sleep for weeks. And I really hate it. *sigh*

On a related note, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVBSvT4QNdY I didn't even know airsoft grenades existed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I thought that it was too early for a tournament episode, Yura has had barely any time to grow, and she was spoiler[still barely doing anything]. But it turned out that it was exactly the point, and the spoiler[throw away line that she could just leave her hair the way it is if it is a bother to change it, turned out to be something big. Yura forfeited the match after she was the only one left, and Sonora was surprisingly angry at her, angry that she would have such little resolve, and let the team down].

There, did I realize that Yura had a place to grow, that she had a way to improve as character, and spoiler[she saw it too]. I honestly expected Yura just to spoiler[start putting her hair into a ponytail so she could go into action mode], but she ended up getting spoiler[her hair cut into being like Sonora's, in doing so she seemed much more sure of herself, and showed just how dedicated she is to changing]. Which is great, I was a bit shocked that she did it as I thought spoiler[that would be a big deal, but I think that her new look] is cute (I kind of like spoiler[the short hair]), and I want to see it go with the clothes she wore in the tournament, which also looked cute. Actually her new enthusiasm kind of reminds me of a certain character.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, is spoiler[Yura going to grow back her hair or what? I thought it was pretty before she cut it off at the end of the episode ugh.] Anyways, I think they will go up against spoiler[Rin]'s team again in the future and maybe will win.

Ah this show is so fun to watch now. I'm getting that GnP vibe and enjoy watching the action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
yeah, not liking the new spoiler[haircut], but the new ED and that hot spring scene more than made up for it. Dat face when staying under too long.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
Ugh, episode three left a bad taste in my mouth. Those girls in the club really are bitches.

1): Berating your newbie for being overwhelmed by the pressure of being all alone in the final of her first tournament.

2): Berating your newbie for being overwhelmed by the pressure of a two-on-one disadvantage against the strongest team.

3): Berating your newbie for being overwhelmed by the pressure of having to face the strongest player in the entire tournament by herself.

4): Berating your newbie for not making your sacrifice count. That's blaming her for your own incompetence. A newbie should never be expected to carry the team.

5): Berating your newbie for not taking it seriously enough when it is just a game. Games should be fun.

6): Berating your newbie for surrendering when in a real-life combat situation that's exactly what a person should do. Those girls hold the warped Japanese perspective in World War 2 of surrender being dishonourable?

7): Being nasty to a girl who already feels like crap when it isn't even her fault is like kicking an ill puppy. It makes me sick. That's how you instil team spirit, Sonora? Well screw you.

The entire episode just took itself far too seriously whereas the first two episodes were more lighthearted and fun and irreverent. I groaned when Haruna appeared and said she would never forgive Sonora for some past deed; I thought the show was above such a cliched turn of events.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
It may just be a game, but it is also something she takes very seriously, it is something that takes a big part of her life. And being a game removed the risk and thus she should have just fought till the end, instead she betrayed her teammates and not even trying. The rest of the team was not harsh and was more understanding, but it has been shown that Sonora thinks Yura has natural talent, and there is cause for Sonora to feel angry. Sonora and her rival are both pretty much pros in the sport, and both of them wold probably be upset with people considering them just games as it takes away from their achievements.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:29 am Reply with quote
^
Did she betray her team? No. I certainly don't think so, and I'd like to hear your reason for thinking she did. And what did Sonora expect her to do, somehow pull off a huge upset victory against impossible odds? Ridiculous.

Also plenty of players treat it as a game and simply play for fun; is Sonora going to bark at every single one of them?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
I think you're overreacting and at least a bit off-target. (And we won't even get into your disregard for spoiler tags, especially since this is a series with a significant time lag between fansub and legal streaming availability.)

spoiler[The one who was actually taking the game too seriously was Yura. As much as the others were competitive, they all understood that it was ultimately all for fun. Since she couldn't get hurt significantly, there was no point in her not at least trying to go out in a blaze of glory. And while I'm not familiar with airsoft tournament play, I can easily imagine surrendering being considered poor sportsmanship, akin to a team conceding a basketball game with three minutes left and them hopelessly behind. Also, while Sonora clearly spoke out of frustration, I got the sense from episode 2 that her actions involving Yura were a bit more calculated than Sonora let on, so I can't discount that she was also trying to snap Yura out of her funk.]

So no, I have to disagree that anyone other than Sonora's former teammate/rival is being bitchy here. Ultimately I think that this is the kind of thing that Yura needed for her character growth.

EDIT: Filled in missing word whose lack made the above not make sense.

Last edited by Key on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9