• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Anime Club Leader Jailed For Teen Sex Abuse

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why was he jailed? What specifically was he charged with? The article talks about "victims" and "abuse", yet it also talks about "sexual activity", which implies statutory rape (i.e. consensual sex with someone under the legal age limit). Because if it was actual rape and/or molestation surely that would have been mentioned. Also the sentence does not reflect sexual abuse against four different people - it's far too light - which further raises questions as to what the hell this guy actually did.

Maybe this is just me, but the women I have sex with generally don't have nightmares about it afterward. And remember, the age of consent in Britain is 16, so even if this is just statutory rape, it's not like we're talking about girls who look like adults.

But I guess we should expect this attitude on a site where people get offended when reviewers complain about loli-con garbage.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
She may have nightmares, but if he were as bad as you seem to think he wouldn't have gotten such wimpy charges and certainly wouldn't have gotten a slap-on-the-wrist sentence.

But I guess we should expect this attitude from people who get offended when others like shows they don't.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Honestly what gets me is the sex abuse apologist nature of some of these posts, personally I find that rather disturbing.
We don't even know if there was sex abuse involved by sane standards, which are unfortunately not the same standards as are used by the law.

Also read what 'dtm42' and 'Polycell' have said about the sentencing being too light for him to have done anything terrible. Or you can believe the newspaper that sane people have nightmares after normal, consensual hetero sex, its up to you.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
She may have nightmares, but if he were as bad as you seem to think he wouldn't have gotten such wimpy charges and certainly wouldn't have gotten a slap-on-the-wrist sentence.

Because, of course, criminal justice systems are perfect and nobody who commits a heinous crime ever gets off with a light sentence because prosecutors could only prove lesser charges.

Rape is notoriously difficult to prosecute. In the UK specifically:

Quote:
An average of 15,670 rapes are reported annually to police, less than one-quarter of which result in a suspect being identified.

Many of those are not brought to court as hundreds of women drop out at this point as they cannot face the ordeal of giving evidence against her attacker.

Prosecutions are mounted against 2,910 individuals, resulting in the convictions of 1,070 rapists who committed an average of 2.3 offences each. The figures suggest that just one major sex crime in 38 leads to a conviction for the offence.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/100000-assaults-1000-rapists-sentenced-shockingly-low-conviction-rates-revealed-8446058.html

When judging how awful this guy is, I'm going to give far more weight to the teenage girl who's suffering nightmares because of what he did, than to the judge giving him a slap on the wrist.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I see we have a tabloid newspaper reader among us. Rolling Eyes

If they can only prove the lesser charges, then someones innocent of the other charges until they're proven guilty right? Rolling Eyes
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
"Captain - Anime". Was that a top gear reference to Captain Slow?
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Searched a bit online and I can't find what he actually did, just vague references to under 16 girls. Did it happen many years ago? Were they 13,14,15?

Another article says they were not forced or threatened in any way and the judge agreed. That being the case this is underage sex, not proper rape and thus 6 years is actually a harsh sentence. I mean he's 27, not 57 and obviously immature. A suspended sentence and probation would have sufficed. If he was dumb enough to do it again then throw the book at him.

he's an idiot anyway, why couldn't he have just gone with a 16 year old? 15 and 16 year old girls look pretty much the same.
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
He's engaged and she's standing by him. Did these under age encounters happen years ago when he was younger?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
That statement looks like texting from a phone to me. Never heard of this club, but if he was using it as a "honey trap" to groom little girls, he got what he deserved.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
aeris2001x2 wrote:
He's engaged and she's standing by him. Did these under age encounters happen years ago when he was younger?
Sounds like it, the alternative interpretation is that he was sleeping round but his fiancee is willing to put up with it cause he's so alpha... well illiterate guys who run anime clubs aren't usually playas, so make your own conclusion Aeris. Wink
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
That statement looks like texting from a phone to me. Never heard of this club, but if he was using it as a "honey trap" to groom little girls, he got what he deserved.
Teh Google is your friend. Wink

I just checked and found this, they're legit. Maybe one of their members might speak up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32NQR7ZOmQ
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
I see we have a tabloid newspaper reader among us. Rolling Eyes

If they can only prove the lesser charges, then someones innocent of the other charges until they're proven guilty right? Rolling Eyes

First off the Independant is a broadsheet not a tabloid and what that article quotes was statistics, likely direct from The Crown Prosecution service. But to go straight to the horses mouth on how such sentences are supposed to be applied:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/s1_rape/

Quote:

Type/nature of activity: Single offence of rape by single offender

• Starting points: 8 years custody if the victim is 13 or over but under 16
  • Sentencing ranges: 6 - 11 years custody

So yes, theoretically if it was just one of the girls he could have been convicted of rape. However if it wasn't penetrative rape as defined by the letter of the law molestation is still a dreadful thing to happen to a person and is still sexual assault. I just don't like to see this sort of victim blaming going one especially as he HAS been convicted and especially as he's been said by the judge to be considered of particular danger to young girls. I'd be just as horrified be this if he were a woman and his victims boys (or any assortment of the sexes).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Teh Google can kiss my piles as teh [not] my friend. And legit don't mean innocent.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't end up with anime/manga being scapegoated by the UK media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Teh Google can kiss my piles as teh [not] my friend. And legit don't mean innocent.
Do you run an anime club with such good English by any chance? Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9