• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo to Host J-Pop Band Nirgilis

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I find it a bit sad when 'smaller' conventions (ie. the Animazements & AM2s of this world) get more well known anime/manga industry guests than AX.

Are you a dub fan? Cause it is mindboggling that anyone with even the slightest knowledge of the guest list could say that.

Miyuki Sawashiro is one of the most well known voice actresses around right now.

And have a look at the guest list for A-kon (the longest running anime convention in the USA) if you want to see a truly pitiful list for international guests.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:32 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

And have a look at the guest list for A-kon (the longest running anime convention in the USA) if you want to see a truly pitiful list for international guests.

A-kon has passed its prime. Smile
bapplef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 am Reply with quote
Jean wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I think that you are right!

Last edited by bapplef on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:08 am; edited 2 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but A-Kon doesn't have AX's budget.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Apparently, so has AX.

Wow...really Megiddo? This is AX's 20th anniversary. I would expect a lot more from AX than two seiyuu, one creator of a very old manga that the majority of AX's attendees have never heard of, and Mizushima, who's been to practically every convention in the US. And if I were a fan of dubs, wouldn't I be absolutely enthralled that Vic is coming?! Absolutely not - I could care less.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Wow...really Megiddo? This is AX's 20th anniversary. I would expect a lot more from AX than two seiyuu, one creator of a very old manga that the majority of AX's attendees have never heard of, and Mizushima, who's been to practically every convention in the US. And if I were a fan of dubs, wouldn't I be absolutely enthralled that Vic is coming?! Absolutely not - I could care less.
I guess Miku, Kalafina, and Nirgilis (which was announced RIGHT HERE) don't count, then? Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean they're not widely popular.

That said, I have a feeling that part of the "disappointing" line-up of guests compared to last year was due in part by the hectic organizational issues AX had over the past year. Hopefully it'll get better with the CEO resigning.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Wow...really Megiddo? This is AX's 20th anniversary.

This is A-kon's 20th anniversary

Stark difference.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Wow...really Megiddo? This is AX's 20th anniversary.

This is A-kon's 20th anniversary

Stark difference.

No comment on AX's guest list, but A-Kon has been absolute FAIL with respect to anime guests (and fans) for many years. Better question re: A-Kon would be when was the last time they HAD an impressive guest list.

Also, to be fair, I don't fully understand how, but Animazement has CONSISTENTLY had one of the best Japanese guest lists in the country year in, year out. I'd say AZ consistently beats (or at least is competitive with: Otakon, SakuraCon & AnimeCentral) in terms of anime industry guests. If Expo is behind them for 1 year, I'd say there's very small shame in that. Now, if comparing to AM2... that's a TOTALLY different story. (altho, since there's practically in the same place and AT the same time, you can "voice" your opinion by going to one and not the other)
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Hands down, Miku alone trumps AM2's guest list. I still think they could have done better (AX). To me it seem like AX is focusing more on quantity than quality; it's easy to get people to L.A. from Japan compared to Texas, but that just means more complacency and not being as selective.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote
Being slightly better than A-Kon's line-up isn't exactly a measuring stick for success. Rolling Eyes Also, other than the crappy location, AM2's got bigger bands and, unlike Hatsune Miko, real chicks. Plus, AX gets more visitors than A-kon and Animazement, so they should be able to afford bigger guests.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2