• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Classic: The Life and Kime of Geneon, USA

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
It's kind of a bummer that the second Lupin III TV series never did any real DVD numbers.

That fact that it takes several score episodes before the second series truly hits its stride might have something to do with it. There's a lot of mediocrity in that earlier stuff.

I really liked their dub, too. Great casting. Shame about the "updated" script.

Hm, I always thought more highly of the earlier episodes of Part II. Once you start getting into the fifties and sixties (beyond the dubbed episodes), that's when you start running into some really bizarre and terrible material (though I love the insane episode where Lupin is throwing penguins with parachutes out of a blimp). At least until towards the end, just before the Miyazaki episodes.

Of course, the first couple of episodes are pretty rough, but I like some of the schemes they use early on, like painting a van made of melted gold and smuggling it across the border (though it's a Goldfinger rip) or tricking Zenigata into thinking his plane has taken off when it's really just in a hanger and they're using effects.

I definitely agree about the dub, though. The cast was golden, but the dub script took too many liberties.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

If you were to go to a Best Buy during the "good ol' days", you'd notice that a typical FUNimation DVD would cost between $14.99 to $24.99, but every single Geneon DVD, regardless of episode count, would be $30.

Not only that, but while the other companies would later release their shows in boxsets at a greatly reduced cost, Geneon would only put out certain shows in boxes, and would charge EXACTLY the same amount as the combined price of all the singles. Not only that, but oftentimes they would include exclusive special features that you could only get by buying the boxset, so anyone who had been collecting the singles up to that point would pretty much be S.O.L.

Actually, Best Buy usually had Geneon singles at $24.99 - still more expensive than ADV or Funi back in the day, but rarely were they priced at full MSRP. Though, yes, their boxsets were the most expensive and also least discounted at BB (I remember Ikkitousen being sold for $71.99 while the MSRP was like $79.99).

But, TRSI and other anime retailers that held studio sales would hold them for Geneon. So, those were the times to actually really buy their stuff since it was at 40% off.
lem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
...Geneon might not have had exact Japanese pricing, but they were by far the most expensive anime company besides BV back in the day.

I've been viewing and buying my anime since 2000. To illustrate, I bought and still own every one of those titles mentioned in this podcast. I picked them up either as they were being released as singles, when they were still commonly available, and or before Geneon US ceased to exist as an R1 player. This was primarily from 2004 to 2008. To date I've managed to collect some 150 individual titles/series that were Geneon/started by Geneon/or somehow "Geneon".

And you know what? I can't ever recall a time where I would've been inclined to say "Damn that Geneon, they're more expensive than their competitors". Why? Because they simply weren't.

The only time I can even recall a Geneon single from anyone being more than their competitor was when it was sold as a "starter" set which was comprised of a dvd volume and an artbox, tin of some sorts or some other kinda catch me eff me. This could be something beyond the disc itself - Samurai Champloo came with a bandana, Requiem from the Darkness - glow in the dark pencil board, Strawberry Marshmallow - calendar, Black Lagoon - steel books, metal pencil boards, Zipang - mouse pad, R.O.D. - a figure, Burn-Up Scramble - fridge magnets, Trigun - steel books, a bullet, Armitage - the "lunch" box + figure, Utena - a T-shirt, Texhnolyze - lenticular pieces, etc.,etc.,

During that time period ALL singles could be had for about the same price. And this amount was roughly between 20 and 30 bucks. Dependent upon where one shopped.

Regardless, any way you sliced this it was still an expensive proposition for a fan to own the physical media for a show. A completed show anyway. To say anyone of those R1 players at the time was more expensive than another is simply not true.
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
I only started listening within the last year or so, so I really enjoyed this episode that I missed! I think it's a great idea to reupload these on your hiatus weeks.

My only request would be some indication in the description when this episode originally aired, so those of us hearing it for the first time can put it in that context. Thanks! Very Happy
victor viper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Geneon might not have had exact Japanese pricing, but they were by far the most expensive anime company besides BV back in the day.

While everyone was doing $30 singles, FUNimation, ADV, and to a certain extent Bandai would support discounts and coupons. Geneon, however, insisted on selling their products at the highest possible cost, would not honor coupons and rarely, if ever, put their items on sale. If you were to go to a Best Buy during the "good ol' days", you'd notice that a typical FUNimation DVD would cost between $14.99 to $24.99, but every single Geneon DVD, regardless of episode count, would be $30.

What you've said is true to a point. I know that most Pioneer/Geneon releases were very close to MSRP at Best Buy. A Best Buy close to me had a couple copies of When They Cry volume 1 with artbox sitting on the shelf literally for years marked at full retail ($34.99 maybe?). Heck, they might still be there.

But, there were other brick and mortar retailers that offered the occasional deep discount on Pioneer/Geneon stuff. Some of the Sam Goody/FYE/Suncoast stores had sales where Pioneer/Geneon titles were pretty cheap. In addition, they usually had decent prices on Geneon titles right after they were released. As a matter of fact, I was just was looking through my shelves, and I found a Shana volume 6 DVD still in the shrinkwrap with an "regular price $29.99, on sale-$22.99" pricetag. I'll have to get around to finishing that show one of these years...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
medama_oyaji wrote:

My only request would be some indication in the description when this episode originally aired, so those of us hearing it for the first time can put it in that context. Thanks! Very Happy

No problem, good idea. This one was released originally in Fall 2009.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad ANN decided to repost this for new fans. This is one of the more informative podcasts you guys have done, and one of the few I have saved on my phone. Re-listening to it has got me thinking about the "anime bubble" as people like to refer to it. What caused it? The topic was glanced over from the Geneon perspective, but I would love to know more. Why were the projections so overestimated? Were they expecting shows with no tv presence to sell as well as the shows that aired on American tv? Was it just a perfect storm of anime titles suited to the american market coming out at the same time that raised expectations to an unreasonable level?
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, a re-issued episode. I was actually planning to go through ANNcast's backlog of episodes eventually (when I got caught up to AnimeWorldOrder's 2009 episodes, yeah I have a weird podcast backlog) but this is fine too since I haven't listened to this yet.

I hope more of Geneon's catalog gets released eventually. Like Dual Parallel Trouble Adventures, New Getter Robo, Hajime no Ippo, Harlock, Tetsujin-28, and other interesting those that are severely out of print.

Now I want to watch Heat Guy J..

Really enjoyed this episode. Great job from 2009, dudes.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
14:03 Justin finds the Venice Archive, which is basically a bunch of gifs and midis

Does anyone know a good mirror that's left of it? I'm feeling a little misty right now and wanted to check it out but can't seem to find it now.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Could be, haven't found any MIDI's yet there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2