• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Fillers: About to End?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Why are people so incensed over the Naruto anime fillers? The latest buzz every week on the large Naruto related forums are that "Kishimoto's losin' it" and his manga may have possibly "jumped the shark" way back when in the Sannin fight.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
SumDumGai wrote:
Those episode titles for 200+ are fake... I don't understand why users are able to edit episode titles on this website... I was so upset after I found out that the first ones weren't real.

It's because the Encyclopedia relies almost entirely on user input. If there were only a handful of people doing everything, it wouldn't be nearly as comprehensive as it is because of the enormous amount of work that it would require. As it is, the Encyclopedia staff are working very hard to keep it in good condition. If they had to do absolutely everything, it would have taken many more years for it to get to where it is now.
coldspider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
If the news is true,this is good to hear.I don't read the manga so I've been waiting until the anime got back on track.And I seriously doubt the fillers are going to end,only this time around the fillers need to be done right.They need to be peppered into the the series altering between canon and filler,as opposed to going into LONG filler arcs.

Now the question is what ShoPro is going to do about the fillers' broadcasting future.Would they skip the majority of the filler arc,a la Funimation/first eps of DBGT? Or do they plan on rushing though the fillers as fast as possible? Maybe going for week night premieres for the time being,and then going back to weekends when the series gets back on track.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why America should be any different. If the Japanese milk the show, I don't see why we wouldn't. In the end, isn't pokemon like 95% filler?
hhv94

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I am hoping the people in charge of the site can edit and take out the fake episode titles that some jerks decided to put up as fun. Considering how fans of the anime where getting their hopes up. I'm hoping that the titles 200-201 are correct. There have been solid rumors that Naruto fillers will end at 199.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
hhv94 wrote:
I am hoping the people in charge of the site can edit and take out the fake episode titles that some jerks decided to put up as fun. Considering how fans of the anime where getting their hopes up. I'm hoping that the titles 200-201 are correct. There have been solid rumors that Naruto fillers will end at 199.

yeah well there were also rumors of it ending back in the 160's then the 170's hell one of the subbers used to sub in a X more weeks till the filler ends.

im at the point were well when it happens it happens.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I personally have taken time off the fillers (stopped around 160) to watch and explore other anime titles. Watching the fillers is just a waste of time. I'm also almost 100% sure that the fillers aren't going to end at 200, but I will save that for a later post (don't have time right now) with research and backup information, so look forward to that. You can't believe the rumors, because back a couple weeks ago, people thought the fillers would end with 182, but look at where we are now.

I did find this off of a fansub distribution website, though:

Quote:
If we are to believe recent reports coming out today, the Naruto anime fillers will come to an end with Episode 199 of the Japanese Naruto anime series, and the much awaited Kakashi Gaiden will air starting on Episode 200 and go through to Episode 204, and Part 2 of the Naruto series that has been over a year in the making will air with Episode 205. The episode titles for the following are: Konoha's Yellow Flash Appears!, Kakashi Gaiden Starts!!!!!, Kakashi Break Down! The Sharingan Awakens, and finally End of Kakashi Gaiden! 205 Begins the Next Generation! - whether this is true or not we will have to wait and see, but it sure sounds convincing and Naruto fans around the world will rejoice! It should be noted that this is not 100% confirmed, and may or may not be correct. So, please don't get your hopes up until such time there is confirmation.

But take this with a grain of salt. They said the same thing about the fillers ending at 182. Once again, look at where we are now at episode 197.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
Now the question is what ShoPro is going to do about the fillers' broadcasting future.Would they skip the majority of the filler arc,a la Funimation/first eps of DBGT?
Well, for the record, GT was 100% fillier. None the less, why would they do something stupid like that. Besides, most of the later part of Inuyasha is filler and I doing see them jumping around.

I hope what Fun did, NEVER happens again.

As for the end of the "dreaded" filliers, if it's true, yippie. If not, this isn't first time rumors has been wrong. However, I don't want to see then Encyclopedia episode listing change every other hour becasue someone thinks it's true and next guy thinks it's wrong. Leave it be for now. If it's wrong, it will be change, no doubt about that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
energydan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Why are people so incensed over the Naruto anime fillers? The latest buzz every week on the large Naruto related forums are that "Kishimoto's losin' it" and his manga may have possibly "jumped the shark" way back when in the Sannin fight.

It's because most of them comments are from users who just got into the manga. They were able to read 300 some chapters one right after another with little break. When they get caught up they have to wait each week like the rest of us, and they get impatient. So every week you get a bunch of "OMGZ itz ruined!" and then two weeks later they have to eat their words when things work themselves out or are better explained.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
coldspider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
coldspider wrote:
Now the question is what ShoPro is going to do about the fillers' broadcasting future.Would they skip the majority of the filler arc,a la Funimation/first eps of DBGT?
Well, for the record, GT was 100% fillier.

What's your point? The fact is that the first couple of episodes of GT aren't particularly good,GT doesn't good until the Bebi saga.The first eps weren't that bad per se,they just weren't that impressive.And since there weren't that many to begin with,Funi made the right decision to skip them.

The general consensus about Naruto's fillers is that they're pretty damn bad.No one may care about the fillers in Japan,but there could be a very negative reaction here in the U.S. and create a Naruto backlash.There's no doubt in my mind that ShoPro will be approaching the fillers very carefully.

And that's only taking the TV broadcast into consideration,DVD's are a whole other issue.ShoPro is going to have to come up with one hell of an incentive to get people to buy the fillers on DVD.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
[quote="coldspider"][quote="Ataru"]
coldspider wrote:

The general consensus about Naruto's fillers is that they're pretty damn bad.No one may care about the fillers in Japan,but there could be a very negative reaction here in the U.S. and create a Naruto backlash.There's no doubt in my mind that ShoPro will be approaching the fillers very carefully.

And that's only taking the TV broadcast into consideration,DVD's are a whole other issue.ShoPro is going to have to come up with one hell of an incentive to get people to buy the fillers on DVD.
If nobody cares about the Naruto fillers in Japan, why is Studio Pierrot continuing to produce them, especially if it's true that the Naruto manga is far along enough for them to return to the original plot like Narutards claim they are? You're forgetting that this is Japan we're talking about here; the same people who have kept Pokemon and Power Rangers going on air for years with no signs of stopping and yet they continue to gain more popuarlity despite being bashed by a lot of American fans; the Naruto filler-ins can't be doing that poorly in Japan or the show would've ended like Rurouni Kenshin did. I seriously doubt Viz will skip the filler-in episodes on Cartoon Network just because a bunch of whiny Narutards who have no life outside of downloading Naruto fansubs hate the episodes.

Viz and Cartoon Network aren't targetting the Naruto dub to Narutards who are obssesed with making comparisions between the manga and the anime; they're targetting the dub towards mainstream American kids and pre-teens who probably don't even know the manga exists let alone have read it. To those Naruto dubbies who know nothing about the original, the Naruto filler-ins will probably be more enjoyable to them because without any manga to compare it to, they'll be taking the episodes at face value and while they'll probably notice a decline in the creativity of the writing, it won't be as disastorous for them because they don't know that there's another "cooler" alternate version of Naruto out there, if that makes any sense. It's like watching a movie version of a book. If you watch the movie version first, chances are you're probably going to enjoy it more no matter what changes are made because you aren't familiar with the source material, but if you read the book first, you're going to be a lot more critical of the film adaptation because you already have a view in your mind of how the story should be told. And regardless of whether or not you hate the adaptation of the book, the adaptation is still going to make a lot of money and have its own fanbase because it'll wind up getting more publicity and exposure unless even the mainstream audiences hated the adaptation, too.

What I don't get is if the Naruto filler-ins are as bad as people say they are, why do people continue to watch them? Every week I read a new thread posted at this forum of some Narutard whining about how sucky the latest filler-in is and then they start complaining about when the anime is going to return to the manga storyline yet despite the complaints people are still continuing to fansub the episodes. If you hate the Naruto filler-ins, then don't watch it and read your precious manga instead. It's like the dub. I always hear Narutards complaining about how much the latest dub episode sucked yet they continue to torture themselves by watching the latest dub episode every week. If Narutards continue to download the latest filler-in episode even though they bitched about the previous episode earlier, the filler-ins must not be that bad if they continue to repeat this process. But who says that Naruto will ever return to the manga plot? For all you know, they could never stop producing the anime-only plots and it doesn't look like they plan on stopping anytime soon or else they would've done so already if they were really that bad.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
SumDumGai wrote:
Those episode titles for 200+ are fake... I don't understand why users are able to edit episode titles on this website... I was so upset after I found out that the first ones weren't real.

Is that why you decided to get yourself banned by jumping on the SPAM bandwagon?

SumDumGai wrote:
After this I have discovered that ANN is extremely unreliable. I used to use it for all my upcoming episode titles for Bleach and Naruto but I won't do that ever again unless I'm looking for a laugh at fake titles.

SumDumGai wrote:
Just wanted to point out that I just made episode title 666. ANIMENEWSNETWORK IS HORRIBLE, HOW CAN YOU LET USERS EDIT EPISODE TITLES??? I'm probably banned from that website... but they deserved it.

I'm so upset after being so excited about the episode titles... How funny would it be if the fillers ended up stopping at episode 200 and it was just a coincidence that people made fake titles?

Also, the people that first made these fake titles are the biggest losers on the internet.

Last edited by areaseven on Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
coldspider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Jeez Kouji...

Quote:

There's been dozens of threads created here in the past where people complain about Naruto's fillers.When the question of how the Japanese have reacted to the fillers comes up,the answer is that they generally don't care about the fillers.Regardless of how bad the hard core fans think they are.Someone compared the fillers to the likes of reruns in Japan,so that's why they don't care about them either way.It's like a "new-rerun" so to speak,it's not worth watching,but no one is really complaining either.

Here in the U.S. however,it could be a total different story.The fillers can cause a negative backlash,and may cause people to stop watching the series,for awhile at least.When the fillers do come around,sticking to current format of weekend premieres would probably be a mistake.I think there's maybe a years worth of filler if there's a premiere once a week,and I doubt ShoPro/CN would want to lose a good chunk of their viewership for that length of time.

So I wouldn't be surprised if ShoPro took a different approach specifically for the fillers.Which can be anything from skipping the majority of the filler arc,to rushing through the fillers by temporarily changing the format from weekend premieres,to weeknight premieres.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably repeating myself but here I go again.

I'm one of those people who simply watched the anime without reading the manga so I never have really made a "wait they left that part out/ruined that part" comment. My issue with the filler as a fan is the fact that it just halts everything. There's obviously a story to be told, but instead of continuing on we get 70+ episodes of well...nothing. Look at it this way, that's 5-6 13 episode series, 3 26 episode series, and 1 1/2's worth of a 50/52 episode series. That's a lot of episodes folks. Now, it would be one thing if we had decent animation and scriptwriting but we don't even get that. The overall quality of this series hasn't just dropped, it's plummeted (note the fishbowl eyes on CENTRAL characters or Tsunade's Gendo Ikari trick). Really, if the quality of these episodes was seen in another series no one would even look at it. The only reason Naruto gets away with it is simply because it's Naruto. I'd forgive it if the latter or the former was on par but neither is. I am neither engaged in a story nor am I getting a nice dose of eye candy,

Why did I/do I still watch? Well there's the simple reason of me being a completionist (gotta see all of it). I want to be able to say "I've seen all of Naruto." Sounds stupid to a lot of people, but it's a reason that makes sense to me at least. Another reason is/was the rumors that came out every few weeks. From whatever the source was, the idea that we had X many episodes left (at times it even got down 2 or 1 week). Granted each time it was met with disappointment, but still like other fans I was strung along because I figured "just a few more episodes wouldn't hurt." It's like the dollar on a string trick. You get close to it, and the moment you go for it the dollar is pulled away from you and you walk towards it again (same idea with the filler).

The filler is also very out of place (I have the same issue with Bleach, but at least they kinda sorta tried to make it an overarching part of the show). It feels so disjointed and away from what Naruto previously was. Whenever the filler ends, it's basically gonna be a big chunk that can be just removed and forgotten (well, it won't be as I'm pretty sure this filler fiasco is a first and some sort of historical mark on anime).

The filler has also perversed just about every character. It's as if any and all development thus far has been ignored. I know Naruto's not the smartest ninja in Konoha, but he's certainly not nearly as stupid as some filler episodes have made him out to be (now I know I'm repeating myself). I mean c'mon, you would think by now he would recogize Rock Lee. Also, I'm pretty sure Neji got over his whole "follow the mission and nothing else" mentality (those are the first two that jump to mind).

As a side note to my last statement. Not only has character development been ignored, but there's also an incredible focus of characters. People say that fillers allow us to see some characters who normally don't get much screen time in action. However, I'm not seeing really seeing that. Being a Shikamaru fan, I can't recall a filler episode he's been in (but I'm glad as they would probably ruin him, I guess he's just too intelligent for the scriptwriters) unless you count the early filler episodes which I will admit were not that bad. The Sand Ninja are very popular so where are they? And others like Shino and Chouji have barely been in them, and when they are they hardly do anything besides fill space. Also, while I don't like her I know Sakura is supposed to be training but does that exclude her from missions? Hell Naruto's supposed to be training but that's not stopping him from showing up every week.

I think by now it's not so much what the filler is as it is what it represents. It has basically stripped a good show from glory. Put it this way, would Star Wars have been just as great had after Empire George Lucas decided to make Luke and Co. go on a bunch of space faring adventures spanning another trilogy (with a major budget drop and him hiring others to write the stories) because he hadn't finished Jedi? Probably not. I'm not looking at Naruto in comparison to it's manga counterpart, but as a story. As a story and a show, the filler has dropped Naruto from being great to sub-par. The only reason I started reading the manga was because I was fed up and I wanted to know where things were going to go (but I will admit I now feel it's being dragged out). The bottom line is the fanbase feels let down. Now while I'm not defending the Narutards out there who will only support the free methods of experiencing Naruto, there has been something all Naruto fans who have experienced the filler have paid, and that's time. That's 1750 minutes, 875 hours roughly (unless my math is wrong) that has been devoted thus far to a single viewing of each filler episode (and this isn't counting the 135 previous episodes). While recreational, that is still a lot of time for an individual to spend. But you know what does my opinion matter? I don't contribute to Japanese ratings, the Japanese don't seem to care, and I'm watching the show for free.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Cyborg 009 wrote:
I think I get the concept of what a filler is, but what is the exact definition? I just can't seem to figure it out. Is it just a series of episodes with a storyline separate from the series main line?

Well there really is two definitions of what filler is, and it depends on the show your talking about. In this case they are talking about story in the anime, which was never in the manga. People who make the anime will start making "fillers" when the story catches up to the manga. And manga usually comes out at a slower pace than anime, and lets just say that usually these fillers are not as good as the story in the original manga. Naruto has particularly had a long filler run. I beleve it starts at ep 135. And if I am not mistaken, the anime is now around 200, all of that has been filler. And that has a lot of fans upset.

Is the fact that manga comes out slower just the way it is? Or can it be said that the artists are being lazy? Because if you can manage 25 minutes of moving pictures more quickly then eighty pages of drawn panels, I'm not really sure what to think.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6