• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation TV Ranking, October 7-13

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Nick Park and the crew at Aardman will be pleased. Wink
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Agreed @zangetsukakashi.

But Naruto and much less bleach hardly represent any kind of competition to Toriko, it crushed them since the beginning, those series have never been as big as they are perceived in the western world anyway.

For me all this insistence here that Toriko is doing bad and not as good is nothing more than nonsense for reasons I posted and for reasons zangetsukakashi also noted, this is evident, its as evident saying water is clear.

All the Toriko criticisms seem to be more like a personal hate/jealousy thing that anything else, when its evidently doing quite good in Japan.

The day Toriko actually drops from the top 10 and does not make it week after week, only then we can say its doing bad, not sooner.

The "spectacularity" of years long gone, wont bee seen anymore, it will be too hard, so Toriko is doing excellent, once again, for todays standards, at least it wont be reflected via TV ratings, all ratings =for anime at least= are dropping because TV is becoming obsolete year after year.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A long running mega hit like naruto, bleach didn't do that good ratings wise. I think the highet naruto got was 6-7% many years ago. Most animes and mangas would dream of getting toriko numbers.

Naruto airs on Tokyo TV though. Despite being a 'major' private network alongside Fuji TV, NTV, TBS and Tv Asahi, it's still the 5th one when it comes to ratings. On the other hand, Fuji TV is generally fighting for first place with NTV so obviously expectations are different. I doubt Fuji TV would have allowed Bleach to air at 6 pm on mondays for years and years with ratings in the 1-2 range.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Ratings aside, compared to most Shonen Jump "Big" stuff, Toriko's manga sales are pretty mediocre. It's not even reaching Bleach's current sales (half a million-ish per volume?), and we all know Bleach is way past its sales prime. I agree with Primus, with both Naruto and Bleach nearing their end, it seems like SJ was desperate for their next big hit and have been trying to force Toriko to become it for a while, but as popular as it may be, its manga sales do not reflect the effort SJ and Shueisha have put into promoting it (doing all the crossover stuff, giving it a lot of color pages and cover, etc.), not in the slightest.
yukimasuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Ratings aside, compared to most Shonen Jump "Big" stuff, Toriko's manga sales are pretty mediocre. It's not even reaching Bleach's current sales (half a million-ish per volume?), and we all know Bleach is way past its sales prime. I agree with Primus, with both Naruto and Bleach nearing their end, it seems like SJ was desperate for their next big hit and have been trying to force Toriko to become it for a while, but as popular as it may be, its manga sales do not reflect the effort SJ and Shueisha have put into promoting it (doing all the crossover stuff, giving it a lot of color pages and cover, etc.), not in the slightest.

Ure wrong on two things, toriko promotion starts in 2008/2009 long before blach and naruto going end. We dont know when bleach i going o end at this point. Bleach probly in 5 years, naruto next year depending on kishi. So neither of those series was gonna end soon when toriko started. Also, SJ is not desperate bc OP is its flagship. Kuroko no basuk started around the same time as toriko and got similar promotions. Look at ass class and soma, they popularity is close to naruto and bleach. Jumpwas not desperate for new hits when most of its series are hits/megahits that wont end for many years. Crossover with OP was because both mangakas are childhood friends.

Color page is divided among series based on its popularity in the magazine not its manga sales.

Most to least covers/color page
OP
Ass class, soma
Kuroko, toriko, naruto
Bleach
New series

Rakings in the jump magazine determine the number of cover and color page a series get. Toriko is usually 3 in the last couple f years and 5-6 currently so its promotion is justified
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what you're getting at. You yourself cited Kurobas and Assassination Classroom. Both mangas are selling eons more than Toriko and don't get even half the publicity Toriko gets. That's my point. Toriko is more a traditional SJ series and it's being promoted as the new "Big 3" and a flagship series, when other manga are selling a lot freaking more than Toriko is and not getting even half the recognition they deserve.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

In all Shonen Jump, right now, only One Piece(3 Millions copies), Naruto(1 Million copies), Bleach(800 thousand copies), Kuroko no Basket(700 thousand copies) sell more than Toriko(500 thousand copies)!(Gintama sell around the same. Sometimes sell more other times less). Is in the Top 5 best selling of Shonen Jump! What about that is mediocre? It sales more than 75% of the titles of the magazine and around 95% of all the manga in the market.
Toriko began in 2008, at that time Naruto(Sasuke vs Itachi) nor Bleach(middle of Hueco Mundo arc) were close to end! Making your rational totally false and wrong.
Crossover isn't such a big promotion as you think it is! The only significant crossover was the first Toriko did with One Piece, and that was effective, because it presented to the watchers the new anime that would show before One Piece in the same TV station(If they didn't have done that, it would take a longer time for some watcher to go see what it was).
You're being ignorant about the Color Pages and Covers! Color pages and Covers are given because of special events of the series or because is having consistently good ratings.
Let see this year cover numbering:
One Piece - 7 (2 for film Z, 5 because of rankings)
Naruto - 1(rankings)
Bleach - 1(return from hiatus to prepare for final part of final arc)
Kuroko no Basket - 3(1 for start of final game of tournament, 2 because of rankings)
Toriko - 4(1 for film, 3 for rankings)
Gintama - 2(1 for film, 1 for rankings)
Assassination Classroom - 3(3 for rankings)

Is easy to see that Bleach that have bad rankings doesn't have covers, Naruto is normally in #5 or #4 only have one cover. Assassination Classroom that have has good rankings as Toriko as the same number of this(not counting the one that Toriko had because of the film), Kuroko is right behind those two. One Piece that is almost always at #1 in the rankings has the bigger number of covers.
About the covers with all the titles, Toriko had awesome rankings from the get go, is first issue ranking 1st(and they continued to be very good), while Bleach started decreasing dramatically in the rankings(in Hueco Mundo arc), but even then Toriko stayed the 4th best manga in those covers, behind Ichigo(Bleach), until 2011. It took 4 years for Toriko to gain a name of himself to be able to surpass Bleach even though it was having better rankings. If it was a forced promotion they would put Toriko in 3rd way earlier, but because they take in consideration the contribution each title made to the magazine, it took a long time.
The same thing will happen for Assassination Classroom too! Is almost always at the 2nd place in the rankings, but it still appears as the 4th most popular manga in the magazine, for now.
yukimasuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I don't know what you're getting at. You yourself cited Kurobas and Assassination Classroom. Both mangas are selling eons more than Toriko and don't get even half the publicity Toriko gets. That's my point. Toriko is more a traditional SJ series and it's being promoted as the new "Big 3" and a flagship series, when other manga are selling a lot freaking more than Toriko is and not getting even half the recognition they deserve.

again, the promotion that shueisha give toriko is based on its popularity in the weekly ranking, not the manga sales. series can be axed if they have low ranking and good takobon sales with the exception of bleach and kochikame. if a series has good ranking and bad takobon sales, it wont be axed bc its popularity = more circulation for the magazine = more profit in advertisement.

if u follow the jump weekly ranking, u will see how all of these work. kuroko and ass class have more publicity and promotion than toriko. we are talking about shueisha here thus only the manga. this year, both kuroko, ass class, soma has more promotion than toriko. if u didn't know, soma doesnt sell that much (yet) and it still gets more promotion than naruto or bleach.

like i said, the promotion toriko gets is justified by its popularity in the magazine ranking, not its takobon sales.

Jump Issue #47 ToC:

Isobe Isobee Monogatari (New Series, Cover & Lead Color Page)
One Piece
Kuroko no Basuke
Assassination Classroom
Toriko *
PSI Kusuo Saiki (Center Color)
World Trigger
Hachi
Naruto*
Koi no Cupid Yakenohara Jin
Gintama (Center Color)
Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyuu!!
Nisekoi
Bleach*
Kochikame
Beelzebub
Soul Catcher(S)
Kurokuroku
Hime-Dol!!

see how toriko is more popular than naruto and bleach in the ranking. the magazine look at this and determine the number of covers and color pages a series would get.

as for the anime, the promotion is justified bc toriko & OP are the nly current shonen animes with the same premise from toei and fuji. a crossover between the two franchises is the best way to promote toriko (a new series) and gain new fans for OP (an old series). DBZ also benefit from this because it promotes the movie battle of god.

now, ure wrong about the "big 3" label. there is no big three in japan. he term comes from the west that is only used to identify OP naruto and bleach. and to use it losely, the current "big 3" in jump magazine in japan is OP, ass class and soma. all of which has more promotion than toriko bc they are more popular in the magazine weekly ranking.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

You're not listening! The magazine promotion is not done because of the sales! Is done because of Weekly rankings!

Anime/Merchandise/Games are franchises. Basically they are done and managed by a third party(the animation studio/product producer/Game production) that pays royalties to the magazine(the magazine can quality check the products, but normally have direct action about it).
That said, Toriko x One Piece x Dragon Ball Crossovers is an idea of the animation studio. The first crossover of Toriko with One Piece was made, because people at Toei remembered that Oda and Mitsutoshi were friends, so they asked both of them if it was any problem about introducing Toriko anime through One Piece, the anime that was from the same studio, same Television station and would air 30 minutes after Toriko. They agreed so they made the crossover(it has nothing to do with forcing).
Raneth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I can't claim to know much about these rankings, but it makes me happy to see Space Brothers up there in the top 10. I really like that show, and I hope high rankings mean it will continue for a while. Very Happy
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
yukimasuka wrote:

now, ure wrong about the "big 3" label. there is no big three in japan. he term comes from the west that is only used to identify OP naruto and bleach. and to use it losely, the current "big 3" in jump magazine in japan is OP, ass class and soma. all of which has more promotion than toriko bc they are more popular in the magazine weekly ranking.

The "big 3" label of the west comes from the titles covers that happen in double issues! In those covers the position and size of each manga are directly related with the contribution done at that time to the magazine. Unfortunately, before Toriko entering it(2011) since 2003, for 8 years, it was One Piece, Naruto and Bleach and to get worse in sales they were too in the top 3 spots for that time(if you take away other manga genres and demographics. For example Nana and Nodame Cantabile were selling better than Bleach and even Naruto, but they are Romance Shoujo and Comedy Josei, respectively.)
In Anime they were never at the top 3, nor One Piece nor Naruto and even less Bleach. That place was reserved for Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko Chan and Shin-chan. Merchandize right now One Piece is one of the best(if not number 1), but it wasn't always like that.
Those 8 years of seemingly stagnation in a dynamic system looked by misinformed people brought up the BIG 3, and now people in the west don't want or can't get out of the idea that One Piece, Naruto and Bleach are the BIG 3.
yukimasuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:
I can't claim to know much about these rankings, but it makes me happy to see Space Brothers up there in the top 10. I really like that show, and I hope high rankings mean it will continue for a while. Very Happy

yes it will. i have yet to watch it but heard many good things about it.

ratings for anime is complicated bc there are many factors that contibute to the ratings.

bigivel wrote:

The "big 3" label of the west comes from the titles covers that happen in double issues! In those covers the position and size of each manga are directly related with the contribution done at that time to the magazine.

this here is new to me. learning new things everyday.

anyways, there is only a Big 1 Piece followed by other mangas in Japan
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Toriko never became the next big thing despite the crazy promotion it gets in every media. It does alright in manga sales, decent ratings but it's no DBZ, OP, Bleach (in it's prime), HxH. Heck Kuroko on the other hand popularity has sky rocketed, it's manga is selling very well. Assassination Classroom is another series that is selling very well and better than Toriko even though it doesn't have a TV series yet. It would be wise to move Toriko to another time slot and have Assassination Classroom replace it whenever Assassination Classroom ends up getting an anime adaptation.
yukimasuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Toriko never became the next big thing despite the crazy promotion it gets in every media. It does alright in manga sales, decent ratings but it's no DBZ, OP, Bleach (in it's prime), HxH. Heck Kuroko on the other hand popularity has sky rocketed, it's manga is selling very well. Assassination Classroom is another series that is selling very well and better than Toriko even though it doesn't have a TV series yet. It would be wise to move Toriko to another time slot and have Assassination Classroom replace it whenever Assassination Classroom ends up getting an anime adaptation.

after reading others people comments, u still dont understand how the ratings work or how popularity works. bleach and naruto had the same ratings as toriko in its prime time. hxh did not do better than toriko before it got moved to a different timeslot, which im sure killed its rating. toriko will NOT be moved to a different time slot for an anime like kuroko or ass class. Toei will NOT pick up ass class, they are known for their shonen animes that are similiar to dbz and OP, ass class is comedy. Comedy anime, besides the long running ones, do not have good ratings. look at sket dance and gintama. toei/fuji Tv doesnt usually have season/cour anime and both kuroko and ass class are such type.

whether people liek to accept it or not, toriko is still a hit. toriko does not get crazy promotion in every media like u falsely stated. if u haven't notice, the ones with crazy promotion are OP, attack on titan, kuroko (the death threats sure help its popularity). also, bishi character design also play into popularity. notice how there is none in toriko and a lot in kuroko.

please do entertain me with the sources that show toriko getting crazy promotion in EVERY media. did u know OP was on the cover of many non-manga magazine (now thats crazy promotion)? did u know that there are numerous spinoffs of attack on titan (thats crazy promotion)? did u known kuroko has a lot of death threats and numerous novels/books (thats crazy promotions)? did u know that the author of toriko was arrested before and this incident probably turned many people away from reading/wathcing the series?
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:

LOL, at comparing Bleach, HxH to DBZ or OP and even mentioning KUROKO!! Seriously Kuroko?, manga/disc sales good for Kuroko but its a universe and then some away from the realm of super stardom in the level of DBZ or Op, and of course a galaxy or three away from Toriko as a franchise.

This is classic youtube comment.

Last edited by dan9999 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4