• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kick-Heart's Yuasa to Direct Ping Pong Anime for Noitamina

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
The Tatami Galaxy is heavy, dialogue rich, full of philosophy and undubbed. I've tried to watch it and just couldn't keep up with all the subtitles. But it looks amazing.

Kick-Heart was silly fun.

How ordinary is this manga? I remember seeing a Japanese ping pong movie in a rental store years back and it was an off-the-wall wacky comedy...guess this isn't the same thing?
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
A Ping Pong theme anime? Sign me up~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How ordinary is this manga? I remember seeing a Japanese ping pong movie in a rental store years back and it was an off-the-wall wacky comedy...guess this isn't the same thing?

Manga had a pretty good live action adaptation,but it was in no way a wacky comedy.It is coming-of-age story with both comedic and dramatic moments,and it has a lot of observations about friendship,competition and adolescence itself.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
ping pong is boring now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8IVASo0umU

Baseball, now that's a boring "sport".
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Guess this and asking for handouts is the only way Yuasa can get work. Don't take me wrong, I love the guys stuff, but he's poison as far as money-making is concerned.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
The background art in that PV looks gorgeous, but otherwise I'm not particularly looking forward to this. I don't have it in me to be concerned about directors and stuff so Yuasa's name means basically nothing to me. The minute glimpse at character design doesn't seem to appeal to me. Still, I'll probably give it a shot because my religion says I have to watch all noitaminA shows
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I don't have it in me to be concerned about directors and stuff so Yuasa's name means basically nothing to me.

It's not just that he's a director. Most of his stuff people get excited about, he also wrote and was integral in the overall creative decisions. He got his hands dirty animating in Kemonozume too, in addition to those other things.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The Tatami Galaxy is unwatchable, unless you can slow down the time.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I guess a realistic ping pong anime would be very boring, but I doubt they'll spent that much time on the matches. If they focus on the human element of the teacher trying to raise that shy guy's esteem, it could be very interesting.

PS: I love how anyone who doesn't agree this anime will be the best thing ever since sliced bread is automatically a moe blob fan. Classy.
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
PS: I love how anyone who doesn't agree this anime will be the best thing ever since sliced bread is automatically a moe blob fan. Classy.

I don't see how you got that impression. Other than Ryan trolling, it's been mostly people being moderately positive and nothing more.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
I don't see how you got that impression. Other than Ryan trolling, it's been mostly people being moderately positive and nothing more.

Fair enough. I guess I'm really jaded and actually expect that to happen.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so no one in this topic has seen the Ping Pong live action movie?

Yuasa + Ping Pong is possibly the best anime news I've heard in years.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Leebo wrote:

Fair enough. I guess I'm really jaded and actually expect that to happen.

You probably remember that from the Kick Heart topics, where those kind of comments were rampant.
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, this is just as exciting as the Mushi-shi announcement!

The reason this is amazing is because of the source material. I like Yuasa, but outside of Mind Game, his television series have been defined by haphazard plotting that unravels at the end. Also wasn't that enamored with The Tatami Galaxy, either.

But this is huge. Taiyo Matsumoto is one of the greatest manga-ka of all time, and the Ping Pong manga is one of his best and one of my personal favorites. It's also one of his most accessible in terms of story and characterization, but it also includes a lot of his own touches (wordless passages, lively environment of characters of different ages, duality of the main characters and their own personal growth). It's a really emotional manga (and has subtle integrations of mono no aware as many of Matsumoto's manga do, etc.). But what it also does VERY well is the matches. Formally there's a lot if great compositions, not only within the panels but in how they're composed on the page. They actually make you FEEL what it's like to play ping pong. The art is a more refined version of what Matsumoto did with Tekkon Kinkreet and Hanaotoko, and his ability to switch from atmospheric, character-building chapters to breakneck, blink-and-it's-over games is what makes this manga so incredible.

Yuasa is definitely talented enough to realize all of that through animation. His anime really excel in those moments of montage and conveying a real sense of physical weight and energy. Now that he's working with already excellent material, as long as he stays with the manga's plot and characterization, this could be one of the best anime series of the year.

I'm also excited because this means Viz might be more likely to license the Ping Pong manga. They've already brought over Taiyo Matsumoto's Tekkon Kinkreet, GoGo Monster and Sunny. I think Ping Pong would do very well for them.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Its amazing how tying a well known name to a boring as hell looking Ping Pong manga can make people excited

Is this like when an elitist snob goes into a thread about an otaku-friendly anime and shits all over it, except inverted?

Hunter Sopko wrote:
Wait, so no one in this topic has seen the Ping Pong live action movie?

Yuasa + Ping Pong is possibly the best anime news I've heard in years.

I have! It's actually not a bad attempt at adapting the manga. It cuts out a lot obviously, and I dunno it Matsumoto's manga translates well to live-action, but it's good.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Guess this and asking for handouts is the only way Yuasa can get work. Don't take me wrong, I love the guys stuff, but he's poison as far as money-making is concerned.

Not really. Tatami Galaxy is one of the better selling Noitamina titles at least. His original work is poison in the financial sense, but his adaptations have a decent performance with sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3