• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exclusive Premiere: Dragonball Z Battle of the Gods Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaSean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Like how the trailer makes the movie seem a thousand percent less goofy and meandering than it was. Half of the time they were just screwing around doing completely asinine things that had nothing to do with fighting the purple dude.
Yep a lot of people are gonna be disappointed. They're making the movie seem like it's gonna be epic when it's not
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
LaSean wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Like how the trailer makes the movie seem a thousand percent less goofy and meandering than it was. Half of the time they were just screwing around doing completely asinine things that had nothing to do with fighting the purple dude.
Yep a lot of people are gonna be disappointed. They're making the movie seem like it's gonna be epic when it's not

Yeah, like I just skimmed through the entire film just to jog my memory and see what the make-up of it was again. There's a decent fight towards the end, but the overwhelming bulk of the film is a lot of weird and goofy schtick at Bulma's birthday party. It's more like "All Star Dragon Ball: Here's a bunch of losers from the past and a purple Anubis". It's much more a film in the spirit of Dragon Ball than Z, as in characters being really static then cartoony. I can clearly see people sitting in the theater and mouthing "What the f-ck is going on?"

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
LaSean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
LaSean wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Yeah, like I just skimmed through the entire film just to jog my memory and see what the make-up of it was again. There's a decent fight towards the end, but the overwhelming bulk of the film is a lot of weird and goofy schtick at Bulma's birthday party. It's more like "All Star Dragon Ball: Here's a bunch of losers from the past and a purple Anubis". It's much more a film in the spirit of Dragon Ball than Z, as in characters being really weird and cartoony.
Completely agree.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
LaSean wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
LaSean wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Yeah, like I just skimmed through the entire film just to jog my memory and see what the make-up of it was again. There's a decent fight towards the end, but the overwhelming bulk of the film is a lot of weird and goofy schtick at Bulma's birthday party. It's more like "All Star Dragon Ball: Here's a bunch of losers from the past and a purple Anubis". It's much more a film in the spirit of Dragon Ball than Z, as in characters being really weird and cartoony.
Completely agree.

Nobody watched Dragon Ball
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think it's an excellent movie, but since a lot of DBZ fans in North America only grew up watching DBZ, and in English, they're going to be disappointed it's not full of wailing guitar-accompanied super action and breathless power ups punctuated by cheesy one-liners. DBZ English dub fans aren't used to the heart of the franchise.

Sure, the tone is all over the place, but it's at its heart its creator's work, with a lot of silliness, but some interesting story ideas. There are 13 other movies before this if you just want simple, dumb action. Many of them have awful Drowning Pool music added to them for your comfort.

I'd rather watch Mai overreact to being asked to hold Trunks' hand over another Broly movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LaSean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, I think it's an excellent movie, but since a lot of DBZ fans in North America only grew up watching DBZ, and in English, they're going to be disappointed it's not full of wailing guitar-accompanied super action and breathless power ups punctuated by cheesy one-liners. DBZ English dub fans aren't used to the heart of the franchise.

Sure, the tone is all over the place, but it's at its heart its creator's work, with a lot of silliness, but some interesting story ideas. There are 13 other movies before this if you just want simple, dumb action. Many of them have awful Drowning Pool music added to them for your comfort.

I'd rather watch Mai overreact to being asked to hold Trunks' hand over another Broly movie.
I didn't say it was bad. I just said that a lot of people would expected a "big epic action movie" because it "Dragonnnnn Balllllll Z!!!!!"(narrators voice) and because that's how it's being marketed but the movie is more akin to Dragonball.

Last edited by LaSean on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

So you'd rather watch a movie that wastes time and goes against the tone of the series it was based on?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

So you'd rather watch a movie that wastes time and goes against the tone of the series it was based on?

Battle of Gods doesn't really go against the tone of the series. It goes against the tone Funimation established for the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Battle of Gods doesn't really go against the tone of the series. It goes against the tone Funimation established for the series.

You mean Dragon Ball Z didn't have a serious tone? It was wholly manufactured by Funimation?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

The 80s DB movies are usually solid three act structures, this film doesn't approximate a typical plot progression, it just kind of starts and stops how it wants.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

You mean Dragon Ball Z didn't have a serious tone? It was wholly manufactured by Funimation?

There was plenty of funny screwing around in it, especially in the Buu arc, which this takes place towards the end of (before the final tournament where Goku leaves with Uub).

Anyway, you have to think of Dragon Ball as a whole, not "DB" and "DBZ". "Z" is an irrelevant designation. Toriyama wrote it all as one manga. Toriyama helped write this movie. To him, it's one thing. To people who grew up watching only DBZ before Funimation fully dubbed the original DB TV series, this will be a foreign concept.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I guess if U.S. fans can sit through the godawful filler episodes of the regular show, and still enjoy it, then the movie will probably live up to their expectations.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

And partially Toei. This movie was going to be a lot "darker" before Toriyama stepped in.

Basically you have Toriyama's vision of Dragon Ball, followed by Toei's, and then also followed by FUNimation's. There's an obvious disconnect once you've gone through all those filters.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

There was plenty of funny screwing around in it, especially in the Buu arc, which this takes place towards the end of (before the final tournament where Goku leaves with Uub).

Anyway, you have to think of Dragon Ball as a whole, not "DB" and "DBZ". "Z" is an irrelevant designation. Toriyama wrote it all as one manga. Toriyama helped write this movie. To him, it's one thing. To people who grew up watching only DBZ before Funimation fully dubbed the original DB TV series, this will be a foreign concept.

So basically, what you're saying is: "Forgive the fact that it's insubstantial fluff because it doesn't take itself seriously."
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Not sure why they bother casting Meredith McCoy as 18 again. I don't recall her even having any lines. What, they're just going to have her grunt when she attacks Beerus for that one second she does something? I bet McCoy just sent in some grunts and they overlaid it.

She did have a couple of lines. Like when she was asking Bulma about the Bingo prizes right at the start of the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3